I wish Toast wasn't quite so wanky

(47 Posts)
SundaeGirl Thu 09-Aug-12 17:31:21

They've just sent me an email inviting me to the Wilderness Festival - no, thanks although I'm sure it will be lovely - and telling me they'll be 'curating' the spa there. Aside from use of the word 'curating' in any context outside the British Museum or similar completely getting my toss-o-metre whirring, they had a total load of twattery about how I could unwind with them by swimming in the cool lake or relaxing in dappled sun.

Urgh. Obviously, it will rain and and someone will fly tip loads of calor gas canisters into the lake, but even that brings me zero comfort. I almost love Toast and really want this dress but then they get my back up...

ArtexMonkey Thu 09-Aug-12 18:13:52

Ha ha ha! Agree.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 09-Aug-12 18:16:25

Droopy clothes in sludgey colours.

Lord alone knows how its survived the recession.

Chandon Thu 09-Aug-12 18:20:43

but some of their things are genius.

I have the most amazingly gorgeous silk maxi skirt from toast, and a nice summer dress too.

It is hit and miss.

Only buy in the sale/archive sale

SundaeGirl Thu 09-Aug-12 18:24:45

Whenever the catalogue arrives it sends DH into paroxysms of delight as rips through it pseudery. He's banned me from getting anything from there on the bounds that it's expensive shit to wear when you're putting your head in a gas oven.

SundaeGirl Thu 09-Aug-12 18:25:39

I reckon it survived the recession because the clothes are made of good fabrics. No fobbing off with viscose.

noddyholder Thu 09-Aug-12 18:26:17

I like the clothes

faustina Thu 09-Aug-12 18:29:13

I like some of the things. Nothing in the new catalogue though - have you seen it? It's v sludgy and boring this time around

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 09-Aug-12 18:32:11

Sundae - I like your DH.

Its not my style - its made for tall women who want to channel Virginia Woolf. I am short and would rather channel Liz Hurley.

KandyBarr Thu 09-Aug-12 19:45:22

I'm not sure who Toast makes clothes for - pottery teachers, perhaps.

The Chi whatsit shoes are pretty covetable, though.

MrsRyanLochte Thu 09-Aug-12 20:31:17

Yes to good fabrics, even their jersey is made from bamboo rather than viscose.

Most of the stuff is not my style but I am seriously coveting this bag in both colourways. But at £199 - nope! Would consider with, ahem, a 20% off code if Toast CEO is reading.

MrsRyanLochte Thu 09-Aug-12 20:34:21

Actually, I quite like this in the rusty red colourway - very autumnal.

frillyflower Thu 09-Aug-12 21:43:40

I like Toast. I like natural fabrics.

frillyflower Thu 09-Aug-12 21:48:33

Anyway what's wrong with channelling Virgina Woolf? Stylish!

LynetteScavo Thu 09-Aug-12 21:55:18

Oh, I always really want wanky things I can't aford!

In reality I don't want to swim in the "cool" lake at some festival or wear dull clothes whle listening to bands I've never heard of. I just think I do because I can't aford £145 for a tunic, or £129 for a weekend in a field.

niminypiminy Thu 09-Aug-12 21:58:48

I like more Toast things than I buy, but the things I have bought I wear and wear and wear. And I'd rather look like Virginia Woolf than, say, the Isabella Oliver (now, I believe, Baukjen fgs) woman, which I think of as nouveau-rich-tarty. So even though the film's hilarious and they're curating at Wilderness, I still really want their teal felt hooded coat...

perplexedpirate Thu 09-Aug-12 22:14:06

I can't say that anything on the site set my world on fire, but you have to admit there are some fantastic reductions in the sale section.

Haven't had the delights of their AW catalogue yet but what is their sizing like? I like the cowl neck top a lot. Am sick to death of trying to buy on the high street and it's all polyester.
Can't see that it's any more wanky than Boden fun this and favourite that tbh. Or Jonnie's take on what small boys do on their holidays hmm

SundaeGirl Thu 09-Aug-12 22:39:17

Sizing quite large - vanity sizing. Probably another reason why business seems to be booming.

BeattieBow Fri 10-Aug-12 07:11:37

I like Toast too. I ilke that cowl neck dress. agree it's vanity sizing, I bought some stuff post-natally and it's made me feel much better about myself!

Chandon Fri 10-Aug-12 07:38:40

niminy, I have never before met a woman who thought Isabella O. (Baukjen) was tarty! Apart from me... I ordered some of their short clingy dresses, and just could not believe how "cheap" I looked.

Toast is usually well made and good quality, and doesn't "date" quickly.

Ooh good thanks! Desperate for something in a natural fibre that will last. My Wrap London stuff all has holes in it so they're off my list.

Luvlyjubblyclothes Fri 10-Aug-12 08:20:51

They are over priced and mainly frumpy. They try to be niche and sometimes get away with it.

SpringGoddess Fri 10-Aug-12 08:27:39

I think many of their pieces look tarty too. More than that I can't stand the toed in model trying to look cute, shy, coy...whatever, just stop! New catalogue looks pretty much like old catalogue which I couldn't get excited about either.

SpringGoddess Fri 10-Aug-12 08:53:19

Sorry wrong thread blush was meant to be comments directed towards Isabella Oliver. Oops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now