Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to Experian CreditExpert about budgeting this Christmas - you could win a £200 voucher for a major retailer of your choice

(205 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Oct-12 08:22:35

We've been asked by Experian CreditExpert to find out what budgeting plans you have in place for Christmas this year (2 months to go, folks! grin).

They'd like to know what plans you have to get finances in order - or is it something you manage well, try to avoid thinking about or leave 'til the new year to sort?
Do you wait for sales or discounts when buying gifts - does this help you?
Do you set budgets for gifts, food, drink etc - if so, why? If not, why not? Has this changed since the recession started?
Do you shop online or do you prefer to buy gifts in person? Do you feel safe shopping online?
What money saving tips can you pass on to others at this festive time - for example - do you make your own gifts? Do you buy fewer gifts?
How much will you and your family spend on Christmas this year? Have you been saving for Christmas or buying things over the last few months or year?

Any other thoughts on the cost of Christmas all welcome.

Add your views and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £200 voucher for a major retailer of your choice - in time for Christmas!

You can find more info on CreditExpert here: https://www.facebook.com/ExperianUK

thanks and good luck
MNHQ

mummybrained Fri 02-Nov-12 14:18:10

plans to get finances in order - my husband is self-employed so we try to pay the tax bill in Oct / Nov so we know how much we have left to spend.

I never pay for Christmas on Credit Cards, only Debit cards, so if the money's not there, you're not tempted to pick up extras.

Do you wait for sales or discounts when buying gifts - I look for deals throughout the year for the present cupboard, but i try to stop buying in December as it gets harder to see the decent stuff for the xmas tatt in the shops, panic buying is never good value

Do you set budgets for gifts, food, drink etc - if so, why? If not, why not? Has this changed since the recession started? - our xmas get togethers are changing, what would have been a big night out is now a xmas lunch with friends and family, cold meat and cakes rather than boozey, it has changed due to the recession, but this is also because we're all growing up! I still splash out on a couple of good joints of meat though for xmas eve and xmas day

Do you shop online or do you prefer to buy gifts in person? Do you feel safe shopping online?- mainly online, as long as there's enough time for delivery. it's easier to get the things you want and not come home with a load of rubbish, already started scouring amazon deals

What money saving tips can you pass on to others at this festive time - for example - do you make your own gifts? Do you buy fewer gifts? - families with lots of kids don't mind if you just buy for the kids, singles / couples without kids should get something too though!

you don't need the big box of chocs and endless biscuits, you'll be sick of them come xmas. It's unfashionable to say so, but making your own gifts (especially food) and crackers, table settings etc. can be lovely but often costs more so do the maths before going crazy in hobbycraft!

How much will you and your family spend on Christmas this year? Have you been saving for Christmas or buying things over the last few months or year?

I've been buying things all year, i even give presents from charity shops if it's something really special you don't often get now, i couldn't put a price on xmas....also depends what ds asks santa for as this is where the money starts to mount up

melodyangel Sat 03-Nov-12 15:42:58

They'd like to know what plans you have to get finances in order - or is it something you manage well, try to avoid thinking about or leave 'til the new year to sort?

We have set up a regular saving account for Christmas works really well and takes out all the stress as we stick to the budget.

Do you wait for sales or discounts when buying gifts - does this help you?

I tend to hold out for a good deal, definately shop around for the best price. I buy christmas cards for the next year every January.

Do you set budgets for gifts, food, drink etc - if so, why? If not, why not? Has this changed since the recession started?

We have a strict budget, always have, stops overspending and going overboard just because it's christmas.

Do you shop online or do you prefer to buy gifts in person? Do you feel safe shopping online?

Both.

What money saving tips can you pass on to others at this festive time - for example - do you make your own gifts? Do you buy fewer gifts?

We only buy for the children in my family, DH's side don't have any kids so buy for his parents and sibling. We only buy each other a token gift such as a book.

Our budget is £600 for food, presents, tree, everything.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 10:44:22

thanks for all the comments. EnglishGirlApproximately has been selected as the winner of the £200 voucher - I have pm-ed you.

stephgr Fri 09-Nov-12 02:24:16

i try to shop in sales all year round plus usecashback sites wherever possible. I also recycle gifts where i can and my children spend time making presents. I try to use bogofs and voucher codes. I have no idea how much I'll spend but I have asked people not to be extravagant when giving so that I won't feel bad when I don't respond with lavish gifts

Lucky englishgirlapproximately winning two sponsored discussions within a monthenvy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now