This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to Young's about your favourite fish supper, or how to encourage your children to eat fish - you could win a Jamie book and vouchers!

(97 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-May-12 10:59:09

You may have seen we've been working with Young's on promoting their range of frozen fish.

Young's say "The Jamie Oliver by Young's range - featuring MSC-certified pollock fish fingers and crispy salmon & pollock fishcakes - focuses on simple, delicious recipes that make fish meals accessible and affordable without compromising on the environment. Mumsnetters have already been great getting behind our twice-a-week challenge to see how easy it can be to meet government health recommendations to eat fish twice a week."

They'd now like to know from you your best ideas for quick and healthy midweek fish suppers - what is your favourite recipe for the family? Do you have any 'cheat methods' you can share with others for fish dishes, what fishy meals would you serve up if short of time? Also how do you encourage your children to eat fish? Or to eat fish more often? Do your children love or loath fish? Do they need to be coated in breadcrumbs or are they willing to try anything?

If you've recently tried one of the Young's range with your family - do let us know what you think.

Do share your tips, recipes and experiences on this thread - everyone who contributes will be entered into a prize draw where TWO winners will each get a copy of Jamie's Great Britain Cook Book (RRP £30) and £30 of vouchers for Young's Seafood (which can be spent in any major supermarket)

thanks. MNHQ

Quickest fish recipe? Salmon/white fish steaks in foil, with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice, bunged in the oven, and served with potatoes and veg. Only takes 20 mins! Or I pan fry the fish, and finish it with some butter and seasoning smile

My DS is pretty good at trying a bit of fish but not keen on strong flavours (e.g. too much lemon). He likes things in cheesy sauce, so fish pie is good but a bit more time consuming from scratch (and I worry ready made ones will be a bit too salty).

We all love fishfingers/fish cakes in our house, especially in a sarnie grin

ScorpionQueen Mon 21-May-12 12:09:47

My children are good tryers but afraid of bones so I have to be sure fish is bone free for them. I buy fish when reduced and freeze it until I have enough for a really good fish pie. We all like salmon, possibly because it gets called pink fish in this very girly household.
Tuna pasta bake is a quick favourite, just pasta in a tomato sauce with a tin of tuna stirred through. Cheese/breadcrumbs/crisps on top optional.
We all like fish fingers and fish cakes and Jamie Oliver's/Youngs were recently on offer so we tried them and they went down very well. I tend to serve with rice to avoid going down the fish and chip route too often.
smile

MrsMicawber Mon 21-May-12 13:07:51

Baked salmon 'shnitzel' in two minutes flat:

Slather salmon fillets in a mixture of ketchup and mayo. Coat in crushed cornflake crumbs. Bake on gas mark 4 for 20 minutes.

Favourite fish meal for my poncey DC is salmon with hollandaise sauce and prawns (sauce made by DH). Or fried baby octopus (at Chinese restaurant, ideally, although they will just about accept my version hmm). The only thing they baulk at is skate wings (too much gaff to eat) and when they are tired and grumpy fish pie (made by me and then frozen, generally) is a surefire winner.

gaff faff

Stupid phone

midwife99 Mon 21-May-12 14:16:23

We are what we call Pescatarians! No meat but fish pretty much daily! Every Friday I make fish pie - I cheat by buying a pack of frozen mixed fish for fish pie. I fry celery leek & carrot in butter, add kale or spinach & the fish, cook out with a bit of flour & then add milk to do it all in one oven proof casserole dish to avoid washing up! Grate in some cheese, add parsley & put mashed potato on top & bang it in the oven for 30 minutes. Yum! Other family favourites, salmon baked in foil with lemon juice & olive oil served with rice or potatoes & peas, and we have a Thai fish curry every Saturday night. But for the kids, fish & chips is a winner of course! I haven't tried the Jamie Oliver range but when short of time I might!

midwife99 Mon 21-May-12 14:18:41

Youngs do gluten free fish fingers - my DSD is coeliac & we buy them

CelticPromise Mon 21-May-12 14:41:41

My DS is extremely fussy and won't entertain the idea of eating meat so fish is an important part of his diet. Since he can't eat fishfingers EVERY day I try to do other stuff for him and one of his favourites is what he calls 'fish pie'.

Basically I either cook mashed potatoes or use leftover mash. I chop an onion up small and fry until soft, then mix it in with the mash, add a tin of mackerel and some frozen spinach, stir it all up and freeze in small portions. Voila, fish pie! I heat it up in the microwave with a bit of cheese on top.

I do sometimes buy the Youngs fishfingers for DS, always get the 'free from' ones as they are made of pollock and it is important to me to buy sustainable fish.

DH and I eat fish quite a bit, breaded fish fillets with veg always goes down well.

spendthrift Mon 21-May-12 21:09:26

Best way to get Ds to eat fish? Get him to cook it!

His three best

Fish finger sandwiches, with or without tomato ketchup, and salad.

Scrambled egg with smoked salmon (use pieces, cheaper and noone will know) where he is the best scrambled egg maker in 3 generations of good cooks.

Ds Mediterranean fish stew. One tin chopped tomatoes, a few black olives sliced if available, onions and garlic sauted lightly, white fish, prawns to throw in at the last minute, green beans if you have them, water, veg stock or fish stock and any left over wine. If your family likes spicy food add a small amount of chilli powder. Throw in everything until a seething simmering semi mush. Add the prawns for about 4 minutes. Serve with garlic brraf

spendthrift Mon 21-May-12 21:19:04

Bread and salad.

Ds made this when he was 9 and we suddenly had unexpected guests but some frozen fish and frozen prawns.

I'm pescetarian so lots of fish in this house! I love frozen prawns fried with onions, mushroom and peppers in a barbecue sauce served in fajita wraps. A very quick supper is oven baked salmon flaked and stirred into pesto pasta with cooked frozen peas. Delicious and filling

IsLovingAndGiving Mon 21-May-12 22:55:11

Tomorrow I will be serving the three dc salmon with roast potatoes & vegetables.

They also love fish pie with mixed fish & prawns.

maples Tue 22-May-12 03:31:15

Am blw DS at the moment and have been trying to introduce fish right from the start. So far he's had cod fish cakes, salmon and broccoli bake, grilled salmon, fish pie, sardines on toast and prawns on toast and seems to love all of it grin

Avver Tue 22-May-12 07:43:56

- Marinade some white fish (pollock is good) in low-sodium soy sauce, mirin and lime and cook however you want it (bbq or oven in parcels, grill, pan fry etc) and serve with wiggly noodles and green jumble (any combo of green veg you have in the bottom of the fridge) The sauce from the cooking juices is luvverly poured over everything at the end. I think it's the note of sweetness from the mirin that makes my son love it so much.

I always stock up on big bottles of mirin, soy, rice vinegar etc at the local asian supermarket. Loads cheaper than the piddly bottles you get in the 'exotic' section of the mainstream supermarkets.

My tip for getting young DCs to get into fish is take them to an aquarium or go rock pooling. Seeing real live fish has made my three year-old fascinated with eating them.

Avver Tue 22-May-12 07:44:46

PS I'm a bit in love with the MNer who serves pike quenelles to their DC grin

BikeRunSki Tue 22-May-12 07:47:08

I always have some salmon fillets in. Both children (3.8 and 7 months) happilly eat grilled "pink fish" with rice or new potatoes, broccoli or peas. Fish and peas in freezer and rice - its a v quick and easy meal that every one will eat and is good for you! Salmon fillets quite pricey though.

We also like homemade fish pie, and fish pie is one of the only frozen ready meals I like. Fish fingers too, sometimes I male fish fingers with white fish steaks and polenta and bread crumbs.

I do a kind of mediteranean fish stew with whatever fish is in freezer/cheap in shops and a herby tomato sauce. Also fish, usually something cheap and white, steamed in foil packets with soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger and veg. Easy to make up the day before and stick in the oven after work when I am putting the children to bed.

Both children have always eaten fish and have never needed any encouragement, even though my 3 yo son is a fussy, picky eater.

tbh8169 Tue 22-May-12 10:43:55

we all love prawn stir fry with noodles, fish fingers are always in freezer for a last minute dinner, or if we have extra kids to play.
real fish is a bit of a challenge, sometimes we make our own batter and fry white fish with some chips, but the family not big fish eaters in general.I know it is healthy and try to make it once a week, but difficult when everyone moans when I say it is fish for tea!

greenandcabbagelooking Tue 22-May-12 13:17:19

I'm eating this for lunch as we speak: Creamy, greeny salmon pasta.

Cook your favourite type of pasta acording to instruction.

Meanwhile cook one fillet per two people of salmon. The microwave in the bag type. Or use leftovers. Flake into peices.

Once the fish is cooked, cook a handful of peas per person in the microwave.

Drain the cooked pasta. Leave the hob on.

Add two handfuls per person of spinach to the pasta, and stir until wilted.

Add the fish and peas. Stir.

Pour over single cream, enough to lightly coat the pasta. Keep on the heat until warmed through.

Serve with black pepper and maybe a squeeze of lemon.

BaDaBing Tue 22-May-12 23:08:53

My son (5) will eat any fish really and thankfully it doesn't have to come deep fried or covered in breadcrumbs. He loves mackerel stuffed with a wedge of lemon and cooked whole on the BBQ. Is never put off by the eyes/head etc and really enjoys helping prep fish. My husband is a keen fisherman and I imagine this is where the interest stems from.

Quick and easy fish recipe is to grab a couple of fillets of haddock (pref smoked) and gently poach in some milk. Strain and save milk. Put fish back in pan and add creme fraiche and pesto. Add milk to thin to desired consistency. Chuck in few handfuls of steamed green veg (green beans, asparagus, spinach all work well) and serve with brown rice or pasta. Super quick and reasonably healthy.

I find I can encourage him to eat any fish dish partic if I add prawns or mussels. We eat fish very regularly and it figures more often in our diet than red meat so am always looking for new recipes.

I have tried the youngs fish pie (freezer section) and felt it was a very small portion and reasonably expensive considering the size and ingredients. I prefer to make my own but would use it again as a back up.

beachhutbetty Wed 23-May-12 13:08:21

Poaching salmon/cod/monkfish/haddock (anything really) in the microwave either with a little water, milk or orange juice depending on the fish. I often do this served with salad and couscous. The whole meal takes about 15 mins to get to the table. Cooking it in the microwave also means the house doesn't smell!

Another recipe I use is to make a paste of onions, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, lemon grass, red chilli and fry this off. Then add a can of coconut milk and a tbsp of fish sauce. Then poach some white fish or prawns in the coconut milk, when the fish is nearly done add some mange tout or sugarsnap peas for a couple of minutes. Serve with rice and garnish with coriander. Can be ready and on the table in 30 mins.

If I have more time we love Kedgeree (I prefer to used undyed, smoked fish).

We eat lots of fish in this house - fresh, frozen, tinned, fillets, on the bone, kippers, smoked, unsmoked, anything really!! My children do not like it coated in breadcrumbs although we are partial to a bag of battered fish and chips at the seaside!

I haven't tried the Young's range as I prefer to make food from scratch.

aristocat Wed 23-May-12 14:30:11

We are not big fish eaters but pan-fried fish is a winner smile

Firstly season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. You need to dust your fish with flour and have a good non-stick pan. Put olive oil into the pan and heat until very hot.
Put the fish into the pan - flesh side down - and leave it for 2-3 mins. Do not touch! When it is a lovely colour turn over and cook for 3-4 mins but turn down the heat a little bit.
Once cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm. Add butter to the pan juices and let it colour slightly. Then I add chopped parsley but you can use other herbs if you prefer, also squeeze in juice of a lemon and take off the heat.
The mixture will sizzle and bubble. Pour over your fish and enjoy.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-May-12 14:45:26

Thanks for all your lovely fishy comments for Young's - All much appreciated.

Am pleased to say the winners are: stealthsquiggle and carabos who both get a copy of Jamie's Great Britain Cook Book (RRP £30) and £30 of vouchers for Young's Seafood. Congrats!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now