Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to Young's about your favourite fish supper, or how to encourage your children to eat fish - you could win a Jamie book and vouchers!

(97 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-May-12 10:59:09

You may have seen we've been working with Young's on promoting their range of frozen fish.

Young's say "The Jamie Oliver by Young's range - featuring MSC-certified pollock fish fingers and crispy salmon & pollock fishcakes - focuses on simple, delicious recipes that make fish meals accessible and affordable without compromising on the environment. Mumsnetters have already been great getting behind our twice-a-week challenge to see how easy it can be to meet government health recommendations to eat fish twice a week."

They'd now like to know from you your best ideas for quick and healthy midweek fish suppers - what is your favourite recipe for the family? Do you have any 'cheat methods' you can share with others for fish dishes, what fishy meals would you serve up if short of time? Also how do you encourage your children to eat fish? Or to eat fish more often? Do your children love or loath fish? Do they need to be coated in breadcrumbs or are they willing to try anything?

If you've recently tried one of the Young's range with your family - do let us know what you think.

Do share your tips, recipes and experiences on this thread - everyone who contributes will be entered into a prize draw where TWO winners will each get a copy of Jamie's Great Britain Cook Book (RRP £30) and £30 of vouchers for Young's Seafood (which can be spent in any major supermarket)

thanks. MNHQ

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Thu 17-May-12 01:44:30

My DCs looove seafood pie, and when I cook it I always make enough for 2 and freeze one for a quick supper another night. I alos hide veg in it by making the mash on top a mix of potato and carrot or beetroot and by putting spinach and peas, broccoli or asparagus inside it.

In fact, I'm lucky that fish is one of their favourite things, and they're perfectly happy with a fillet of plaice or flounder roasted or pan-fried with garlic.

Another one that's a favourite for a quick supper is to stick a couple of salmon fillets in a ziplock bag in the morning, pour over teryaki sauce and leave it in the fridge for the day. It's super-fast to cook and serve up with some rice noodles and stir-fried greens.

I buy whole salmon from the fishmonger and get him to cut it into as many steaks as possible, then 2 fillets.
I marinade the steaks in sets of 4 and freeze them in foil, so they can go in the cold oven of a morning to defrost, then use the oven timer to make sure they are cooked when I get back from work.
I make the fillets into fish cakes, boiling potatoes and steaming the fish above the potato pan. Add mustard, sweet chilli sauce and spring onions and form into shape, then fry or freeze depending what's for dinner that day.

CMOTDibbler Thu 17-May-12 09:25:09

DH reminded me that ds is also obsessed with the fish counter, and loves to choose a fish from there. I am not so keen on this as I don't like whole fish, but ds has happily eaten sardines, mackerel and tilapia based on this, and I think his last excursion cost 50p, so worth a punt

ProfCoxWouldGetIt Thu 17-May-12 09:28:36

We do salmon marinaded in honey and soya sauce and then cooked in the oven for about 20 minutes - DD loves her sticky fish as she calls it.
(it also works very well on the BBQ)

Depending on the time of year we either have it with rice and veg or cous cous and salad (it's also really nice if left to cool and then added to a basic green salad)

PSG1968 Thu 17-May-12 09:46:24

Love Fish dishes I love Seabass and scallops but just cannot afford them at the mo me and the rest of the country!!!
Tuna pasta bake is always a quick and easy winner for the family that or a quick snack of Fishfinger sandwiches mmmmmmmm
The Youngs Gastro range looks good i eyed it up last time i went shopping and its on offer in ASDA at the mo so might grab a packet and try the haddock for a change on Friday :-)

DameHermione Thu 17-May-12 11:22:56

i hate fish but occasionally there is nothing to beat a fish finger sandwich.

white bread. fish fingers. mayo and sweet chilli dipping sauce. mmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BigBadBear Thu 17-May-12 11:27:02

I often do fish for my kids. My two DDs (aged 2 and 5) love scampi, fish fingers and fish cakes (and the Jamie Oliver ones are great), but will also eat tuna (sandwiches, on jacket potatoes, in pasta etc), smoked fish in sandwiches and wraps and love salmon, which I often teriyaki for them as a quick midweek meal.

If I have a bit longer, I will bake a side of salmon as an alternative to a roast dinner. That always goes down well too, and is much quicker than roasting meat (wrap in foil, sprinkle over some lemon, herbs and pepper). I haven't yet made them fish pie, because I'm not keen on it (I have an irrational dislike of white sauces) but it's on my list of things to do as I think they'd love it. I am also planning to do a family kedgeree and fish curry - the only reason I haven't done this so far is because I would usually make these quite spicy, but I think they will like them if I tone them down.

When we eat out, they often choose fish. In fact, sushi is their first choice of meal out. Maybe because they see DH and I eating a lot of fish (we have had it every night this week so far!), it is completely run of the mill for them, and I try and vary what we eat anyway so fish is on the menu as often as meat and veggie dishes.

phoebus Thu 17-May-12 11:34:31

My DS is 8 and has AS, and I'm especially interested at the moment to get him to eat more fish for the Omega (3/6? both? not sure which is which) content, as he is very reluctant to take these as supplements, and I gather that the 'right' fish oils are even more important for such children. He adores your fish fingers in breadcrumbs, but is not so keen on them in batter. Do you have any really high quality (but also well-priced if possible) fish fingers that can be made as healthy as possible for children? He won't eat salmon unfortunately, or anything that tastes too strongly 'fishy'. He isn't too keen on 'Flipper Dippers' for some reason (not sure if these are made by Young's or not?)

milk Thu 17-May-12 11:49:55

Keep it simple!

Steam a piece of boneless/skinless salmon in the microwave for 5 minutes, with thin slices of lemon on top.

In a pan boil new potatoes. Once cooked, stir in butter.

I serve with a tomato salad, which consists of: cut up tomatoes, chopped basil, toasted pine nuts, salt, and lemon juice.

A delicious simple fish supper smile

iseenodust Thu 17-May-12 11:50:56

BigBadB I too think white sauce is yuk. Make fish pie with 1/2 tin cream of mushroom soup wink.
Fish, spinach and new potato curry is a good combo.

milk Thu 17-May-12 11:52:11

"My DS is 8 and has AS, and I'm especially interested at the moment to get him to eat more fish for the Omega (3/6? both? not sure which is which) content, as he is very reluctant to take these as supplements, and I gather that the 'right' fish oils are even more important for such children."

As someone with AS, I find this highly offensive angry What exactly do you mean by "such children"?!?

meep Thu 17-May-12 13:02:16

I always have packets of salmon trimmings in the freezer for a quick meal. Stir it into pasta with some garlic cheese and spinach - even the dds will eat it!

Salmon fillets in foil parcels with lemon juice, pepper and a bit of butter is a regular for me and dh. Still trying to get the dds to like it - but they get a bit every time.

and I do always have crumbed frozen fish and fish fingers i the freezer - an excellent Saturday night tea!

The Young's gastro fish has been on offer at my local supermarket - so we have lots in the freezer - not sure how much salt is in them and would need to check before giving to the dds.

LegoUniverse Thu 17-May-12 14:25:49

Fish with pasta is very popular in our house. DS likes fresh pasta topped with grated cheese, tuna, peas & sweetcorn and pesto sauce (out of a jar, I'm afraid). He would eat this every day of the week if he could. Fish fillets (salmon, pollack, cod -- and then feel guilty) baked very simply with olive oil, baby tomatoes and anchovies (DS and DH love anchovies). LAst night we had fresh tuna (gasp) and I roasted some asparagus with courgettes and a bit of (naice) ham and olive oil to go with it. DS had peas and ketchup with his mind, and then ate my ham off of the asparagus. And the Jamie Oliver fishcakes are pretty good standbys to have in the freezer.

flamingtoaster Thu 17-May-12 14:27:28

When the children were tiny my "in a rush" fish meal which they loved was any kind of fish baked in mushroom soup with a topping of "sweated" onions and crushed potato crisps (unsalted) or crushed corn flakes. Served with potatoes or rice and a green salad. They will eat any kind of fish whether in a sauce or not. Malaysian fish stew is also popular (pieces of fish/seafood poached in a mixture of coconut milk, turmeric, garlic, onion, mushrooms and tomato).

klaxon Thu 17-May-12 15:44:12

I stick fish in pasta sauces to hide it from the children because they hate fish which does not come in batter.

However I have just discovered that fish curry (made very like you'd make a korma) does go down well with the under fives. Which was a bit of a surprise to be honest.

cherryjellow Thu 17-May-12 16:03:48

Fish fingers, mashed potato and peas is always a winner in our home!
We have recently blended this up for our daughter who we are currently weaning, she loves it

Pasta, chicken soup, sweetcorn and tinned tuna with lots of cheese, is an amazing comfort food I love to eat.

We also put salmon in salad, very scrummy

Charleymouse Thu 17-May-12 16:07:15

Even though it only gives instructions on packet for grilling/frying fishfingers we almost always microwave them.

The fishfingers stay nice and moist and soft for even the tiniest of mouths with not many teeth.

breaded goujons of cod served with puree of tomatoe on ciabatta are scrumptious

Fishfinger sarnies with ketchup are mega!

serendipity1980 Thu 17-May-12 16:25:37

My favourite fish meal, which the children usually love (although we may have the odd time when they decide they don't like it!!)is fish pie. I make a simple roux (?sp) using butter, flour and milk. Then I add either some chopped onion, spring onion, peas or sweetcorn, a couple of tins of tuna, herbs and my secret ingredient - smoked haddock from our local market. The haddock only costs about £4 but the flavour it gives to the pie is just amazing, it is delicious. I put the fish mixture in a dish, top with mashed potato and bake in the oven for about 20mins. My DD usually always has seconds and my fussy DS normally eats this meal - it gets a 'yum' not a 'yuck'! I'd highly recommend smoked haddock as a cheap way of adding flavour. smile

newwoollymammoth Thu 17-May-12 16:55:00

DD (4) loves salmon steaks simply fried, but with crispy skin. I rub the skin side with cornflour and seasoning and fry skin side down, turn over briefly to colour top, it's the crispy skin that gets her eating it!

Also loves tinned sardines, especially mashed up with mayonnaise, and pasta and prawns (frozen prawns defrosted, cooked and tossed with pasta and any sort of pasta sauce we've got to hand).

CarryOnMatron Thu 17-May-12 16:58:46

I make a fish pie usually with a variety of fish, smoked haddock, salmon and some white fish (Usually a bag of frozen). I boil the fish in milk and then use the milk to make a parsley sauce.

I then put the fish and parsley sauce into a dish, throw on some chopped up boiled egg, top with mashed potato and grated cheese. Bake in the oven and serve with peas. The kids love it and it's actually quite a quick meal.

Taffeta Thu 17-May-12 17:07:40

1.Baked salmon. Boiled new potatoes. Make a sauce with yoghurt, dill lemon and seasoning.Get a big platter, add potatoes, break up bits of salmon over, splodge on yoghurty sauce. Yuuuuuuuum. This is the children's favourite.
2. Moules frites. Yuuuuuuuum
3. Fishcakes and veg.
4. Occasionally in the summer buy a massive whole fish and stick on platter in middle of table with lemon wedges and all dive in. Crusty bread and salady stuff or new potatoes.
5. Fish pie. Specifically Jamie's fish pie.Yuuuuuuuum
6. Smoked salmon pasta with creme fraiche and dill. Yuuuuuuum
7. Sometimes jacket potatoes with prawn cocktail or tuna mayo, but not for DS as he is allergic to shellfish.

I like fish grin

chocolateshoes Thu 17-May-12 17:52:35

in our house everyone loves squid. Buy it from supermarket - squid tubes - you can also get it frozen. It is mega-easy, cheap and a fantastic source of protein.

In a wok heat olive oil, add a clove (or two) of crushed garlic, a chopped de-seeded red chilli & cook. As the garlic starts to turn brown add the slice squid tubes and fry for 1-2 mins. Then add a good squeeze of lemon and a handful of chopped fresh coriander. Serve it with some crusty bread to mop up the juices. Delish!

Bon appetit!

JiminyCricket Thu 17-May-12 18:04:31

My DH is not keen on fish, but as we have been trying to get the kids to eat their vegetables, and because he agrees it would be healthy to have some fish in his diet, I have introduced 'Fish thursday'. I have gone for mainly easy things - salmon parcels, salmon en croute, breaded fish, fishcakes (tonight), griddled tuna steak, fish that comes ready to bake/fry with a sauce (Waitrose easy to cook range). The kids also love mackerel, rice and peas (best if you add turmeric and stock to the rice to make it yellow and tasty), or tuna and sweetcorn in a wrap. And they have fish for school dinner once or twice a week. I make sure I serve fish with things everyone likes (noodles/chips/peas/beans/broccoli/new potatoes). Finally I get to eat what I like for a change!

jellybean10 Thu 17-May-12 18:21:01

My girls (3 and 2) prefer plain fish although both Youngs Fish Fingers and the pollack fish cakes have gone down well. I have to say I loved them too which surprised me as I had bad memories of fish fingers. If I am cooking fish one of our favourite recipes is to take a fillet of White fish, spread on top a layer of tomato ketchup or tomato purée then add a crispy topping made by sauteeing onions then adding fresh breadcrumbs, grated cheddar cheese and sprinkle of parsley. Baked in oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees it's delicious and relatively quick

chocolateshoes Thu 17-May-12 18:26:50

a great cheap & easy store cupboard fish dish, perfect for mid week (had it tonight) is Spanish style Baked Sardines:

chuck a tin of sardines in olive oil into a small baking dish - include the oil
add a crushed clove of garlic
add 6 tablespoons of tomato passata
add half grated carrot
mix together
sprinkle some breadcrumbs on the top
sprinkle some grated cheddar on top of that

bake for 10-15 mins til golden & bubbly.

Goes really well with potato wedges, green salad,.....and a glass of wine

Kids often like this one because they can't see the fish as its all baked in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now