Listening to DD scream herself sick - help!

(37 Posts)
OPeaches Thu 27-Dec-12 22:10:08

DD is 21 months and never been a good sleeper. She goes down okay - I BF her, put her in bed awake, then either DH or I sits with her until she's asleep.

The problems is that she wakes in the night, comes through to our bed and wants BF. I feed her and take her back to her own bed. This takes 40 mins to an hour and happens twice a night. She comes through at 6/6:30, feeds then that's her up for the day. I'm knackered! DH and I decided that tonight is the night we start tackling this.

She woke up at 9:30, DH went through and she's been screaming ever since. Horrible, forced screaming that is making her retch and throw up. She's screaming for mummy cuddles. It's awful to listen to and I'm finding it very hard not to go through. She's woken her 5 yr old brother up too and he's not amused!

How can we get through this without scarring her, and us, for life?!?!?! It's awful!

OPeaches Sat 29-Dec-12 11:25:22

I've had a read through jay Gordon now, thanks for that link, hadn't seen it before. It makes good sense I think.

ethelb Sat 29-Dec-12 16:55:40

Sorry you are going through this. My little sister used to scream until she was sick and i dont think she was any more or less ditressed than any other child tbh.

OPeaches Mon 31-Dec-12 06:36:35

Update:
Last night she went to bed happily, chattered a while so not asleep until 8. She didn't wake until 4. She came through, I gave her a quick cuddle and reminded her that milk doesn't work when mummy is sleeping, and DH took her back to her bed. She cried for less than a minute! She got up at 6, had a big BF and us now happily watching peppa pig.

Result!

HollaAtMeSanta Mon 31-Dec-12 10:58:41

Well done smile it is amazing how fast they adapt if you hold your nerve!

OPeaches Mon 31-Dec-12 14:01:40

I know! I thought it would be weeks if torture but its really not too bad. Fingers crossed it stays this way!

homeaway Mon 31-Dec-12 17:28:48

I smiled at the part where "mummy's milk does not work when she is sleeping" . Glad you got the result you wanted. smile

OPeaches Fri 04-Jan-13 07:03:57

SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!!

She went to sleep last night after nearly an hour of monkeying around, quite a long time for her, and the didn't wake up again until 6:40.

SHE SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin

HollaAtMeBaby Fri 04-Jan-13 10:16:11

grin thanks wine grin

Excellent grin

I will be PMing you for tips soon. We moved house today so not going to try anything drastic with unsettled DS just yet but will defo need to change something soon.

I hope tonight is equally wonderful grin

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 04-Jan-13 22:54:16

Yay smile

Long may it last!!

Next you need to start not sitting with her until she goes to sleep. Put her to bed, tell her you need to go and have a shower and you'll be back in 5 minutes (go back in 10 mins), see how she is - say you need the toilet & you'll be back in 5 minutes (go back after 10), say you need some water (go back in 10) minutes until she's asleep. Couple of nights later stretch it to 15 minutes. You'll soon be in a position of putting her to bed and her completely self settling.

OPeaches Sun 06-Jan-13 08:19:41

The last two nights she's slept through until 4:30. She's gone back to sleep relatively easily and happily for DH, then up again at 6:30/6:45.

I feel like a new woman. After almost two years of three hours sleep at a time max, this is amazing. It's been so much easier than I expected too. grin

ATruth, just go for it!

RandomMess Sun 06-Jan-13 08:22:10

Great news smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now