<yawn> anyone else got a developmentaly leaping, forgotten how to sleeping, growth spurting baby?

(132 Posts)
Indith Mon 10-Sep-12 21:23:54

Want to come be sleep deprived with me?

Ds2 is 6 months old. By this age ds1 was sleeping 13 hours a night. I feel all misty eyed at the memory.

He started self settling at 4 months but then the 4 month regression hit and we've not seen that again but he as fairly settled, feeding 3 hourly and going right back to sleep.

Currently he is trying desperately to crawl. He fights sleep like crazy, hardly naps in the day even on the school run or in the car. If at home and I put him down he is awake and screaming within 5 minutes while trying to do press ups and crawl around the bed. When he finally gives up in the evening and either feeds to sleep or lets dh walk him around the house til he drops off he wakes several times during the evening screaming and tossing around and will not let dh settle him any more. He wakes constantly at night, I'm talking every half hour or so and for the first half of the night latches on and feeds back to sleep but then in the middle part is so bloody full of milk he won't latch on and just head buts me and hits me before he settles in to feeding again towards 4am.

This had bloody well better be a developmental leap that passes soon. So, so tired.

He woke this evening and screamed and screamed and screamed. He even screamed at me when I tried to latch him on. Poor baby really doesn't seem to be able to stay asleep any more even when he is desperate to sad

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 18-Oct-12 08:15:03

suzy a prem 7 week old shouldn't go longer than 3-4 hours between feeds. Their tummies are still tiny. Knackering but necessary.

Well done for fostering, it's something I would love to do one day. sad about the drug dependency. I've worked in addiction services & it broke my heart.

DS woke pretty much two hourly from 6 weeks to 5/6 months, with all the growth spurts. Have you seen The Wonder Weeks Really brilliant for keeping your sanity!!

Mine has just hit 5 months and has gone from sleeping through to up every two hours demanding application of boob to mouth.

Not that she slept through for very long but... <wail> I was getting used to it! She is coldy and teethy at moment so that might be it but crikey I hope this passes soon.

(The next person to suggest she needs solids will be belted)

By the way... Indith, are you a Castlewoman? <cryptic>

Babygedon Mon 22-Oct-12 05:52:31

Hi have just been reading this thread , my ds is just 8 months and for the last few weeks his sleep has deteriorated , he has never slept for longer than 3.5 hrs in a block since birth , however recently he has begun waking every 1.5 hrs, he is ebf, and wants to latch when he wakes, he eats good portions of food approx 3 times day and does not fed that much off me any more in the day, but at night we can be getting up 5/6 times a night for mini feeds, just the last few days he has been getting up at 5 am , he used to sleep till 7am , I'm finding the whole lack of sleep quite soul destroying , tried all sorts to resolve nothing works, dh does not agree with cc and I also would find it difficult , am hoping this is a 'phase' which he will grow out of but not sure how much longer I can cope with lack of sleep, I thought it was just my baby that did this all my friends baby's sleep through

Resurrecting this thread again after a crappy night with 14 week old farting, wriggling, lifting up legs and smacking them down WWF-style DD. She was happily doing 6 hour stretches most nights until the damn 12 week development leap but I cannot help but think this is the 4 month regression come early. Co sleeping is getting more and more difficult as she just wriggles so much and every time I put her down she wakes up now.... Please come back all of you and give an update - are things getting better? Any new things you have discovered?

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 28-Oct-12 21:51:44

I hate to say it but DS woke around seven times a night from around 12-20 weeks due to all the developmental stuff. Was a total nightmare. Co-sleep if you can, sleep when they sleep. It started improving on its own thankfully from 21 weeks on. Was waking once a night until he got sick with colds etc, so it does get better! smile

Cydonia Mon 29-Oct-12 09:42:19

Gail - my DS started waking every 1-2 hours around the same time. I was gutted to discover the whole sleep regression thing as I had my hopes pinned on him magically sleeping through at 12 weeks!
He's 22 weeks now and generally just up twice a night for a feed then back to sleep. Which isn't ideal but is progress! He's also settled down a lot in general but is teething too so I don't expect him to sleep through just yet.
I don't really have any advice, I'm just going with the flow really. You know your own baby best, sometimes I can settle DS without a feed but sometimes he's obviously hungry. I've stuck to a bedtime routine roughly around the same time each night ( but flexible depending on his mood and his last nap ) which I think helped him to go to sleep quicker and easier, as we did go through a phase of screaming at bed time. I'm moving him into the cotbed in his own room this week as he's outgrowing his crib, I'm hoping this will help me sleep a little better as I won't be disturbed as much by his every squeak!

Someone else might have some better advice but I think the general consensus is that you just have to ride it out! Though for some people it only lasts a couple of weeks, so you never know you might be lucky.

Four wake ups last night and the night before but I have accepted it and am just riding it out! DM is here today and downstairs with her now so I am grabbing the chance for some sleep. This too shall pass.....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now