<yawn> anyone else got a developmentaly leaping, forgotten how to sleeping, growth spurting baby?

(132 Posts)
Indith Mon 10-Sep-12 21:23:54

Want to come be sleep deprived with me?

Ds2 is 6 months old. By this age ds1 was sleeping 13 hours a night. I feel all misty eyed at the memory.

He started self settling at 4 months but then the 4 month regression hit and we've not seen that again but he as fairly settled, feeding 3 hourly and going right back to sleep.

Currently he is trying desperately to crawl. He fights sleep like crazy, hardly naps in the day even on the school run or in the car. If at home and I put him down he is awake and screaming within 5 minutes while trying to do press ups and crawl around the bed. When he finally gives up in the evening and either feeds to sleep or lets dh walk him around the house til he drops off he wakes several times during the evening screaming and tossing around and will not let dh settle him any more. He wakes constantly at night, I'm talking every half hour or so and for the first half of the night latches on and feeds back to sleep but then in the middle part is so bloody full of milk he won't latch on and just head buts me and hits me before he settles in to feeding again towards 4am.

This had bloody well better be a developmental leap that passes soon. So, so tired.

He woke this evening and screamed and screamed and screamed. He even screamed at me when I tried to latch him on. Poor baby really doesn't seem to be able to stay asleep any more even when he is desperate to sad

rhetorician Wed 12-Sep-12 14:33:02

or if the phase gets better after 9 months?? night was ok, mostly, up at 7, 25 minute nap this morning, so overtired now and resisting like mad. Cranky too. And not just the baby smile

artifarti Wed 12-Sep-12 15:00:19

Usual crap second half of night here. At one point I could see him, crying in his sleep seemingly, as he frantically tried to roll over (can't do it yet).

Just woken up after 25 minutes of nap and is now bawling his head off for no discernible reason. Everyone goes on about the newborn phase being awful but I remember with DS1 that bit was fine but months 5-10 were awful. Deja vu...

And, yes, the place is a tip and I am horrid shouty Ceebeebies-reliant mum sad.

Suchanamateur Wed 12-Sep-12 19:38:41

We had good naps today after our arse crack of dawn waking. Paying for it now with a dreadful bedtime. She is soooo tired- why doesn't she just fucking sleep?

Indith Wed 12-Sep-12 19:50:49

If I knew I wouldn't be sitting here with ds2 on my lap.

Suchanamateur Wed 12-Sep-12 20:04:37

The evening nightmare is my least favourite bit. Enough already.

Cydonia Wed 12-Sep-12 20:24:49

Suchanamateur - ditto! DS more or less awake from 5am til 12pm today, followed by two long naps ( ha ha see I told him he was tired! ). Have gone a bit earlier with bedtime tonight and he has just eventually settled. Thank god, I've done so much 'shhhhhing' my mouths gone dry. Wonder if I'll manage to eat, shower and watch Mrs Biggs before he wakes up.....

Cydonia Wed 12-Sep-12 20:27:52

Oh and does anyone else find that their LO sleeps better at night if they haven't had good naps during the day? So much for 'sleep begets sleep', I think I prefer an over-tired meltdown followed by a 5hr stretch of sleep.

Indith Thu 13-Sep-12 08:07:44

No sleep begets sleep I think in this house. Sort of anyway. Or at least no sleep means less sleep.

Ds2 went down at 7 last night and woke 5 times between then and 10pm! 5 times! Then I went to bed so it all gets a bit hazy and I have no idea how many times I rolled over and latched him on.

I am taking a few things as positive though and that is that when he woke during the evening he allowed dh to settle him by singing twinkle twinkle without screaming and he seemed more settled at night, just feeding and sleeping rather than being randomly awake and hitting me so maybe, maybe we are coming to the end of this phase. Maybe.

Suchanamateur Thu 13-Sep-12 10:28:07

Fingers crossed Indith. And yes, less sleep=less sleep here. I think part of our problem is escalating over tiredness.

Ok- quick rant... Totally fed up with this. Utterly obsessed by sleep (and not helping my PND), have read everything there is to read and still can't get it right but now also feel that I'm failing DD somehow. DH and I beginning to argue about how to handle- less because he is worried about the sleep but more because he's worried about how it impacts me. I need to either Do Something or find some way of making peace with myself, stop over thinking and ride it out. Anyone else obsessing or have tips on how to stop? Need to use what is left of my brain to work out if I should go back to my old job, and if not, what instead?

None of this is going to be helped by a 5 hour drive tonight to go on holiday with a baby who doesn't like sleeping in the car.

Rant over. Apologies.

TooImmatureTurtleDoves Thu 13-Sep-12 12:38:44

Can I join? DD is 6 months and last night woke up every 1-1.5 hours. This has been going on for at least 6 weeks, possibly longer. She was such a good sleeper before then! <weeps>

She does usually nap during the day, twice, usually for a total of 3 hours. She goes to bed well - feeds to sleep in minutes. She just doesn't bloody well stay asleep. When she wakes in the night, she cries until I feed her, and then is back to sleep in 10 minutes. Sometimes she wakes up every 10 minutes for an hour, just to vary the pace.

And yes, the housework, never my strong point, just adds to it all and makes me feel even more miserable. So does the dog, who seems to be continually tracking mud in/looking mournful because he wants a walk/getting under my feet/bin-raiding because I forgot to shut the kitchen door at night.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 13-Sep-12 13:55:02

Such I'm with you on the obsessing front. I've become totally obsessed with sleep & naps. DS has only had two 20 mins naps today & it's making me feel physically sick that he wouldn't sleep longer sad

I've tried everything. Been out with the buggy for 2.5 hours. Tried him in the cot, the carrier, nothing helps. Not sure why it stresses me out so much. Interesting what you say about PND playing a part for you.

Cydonia Thu 13-Sep-12 18:10:16

TITD I also have dog guilt. She's dealing brilliantly with being pushed down my priorities list, which in a way makes me feel worse. Shes currently sat surrounded by stuffing from one of her toys patiently waiting for me to finish feeding DS and feed her. And she's casting like crazy, I'm forever picking hairs off DS, god knows what I'm going to do when he's crawling!
Early bedtime last night didn't help, DS woke up 6 times, though a couple of times he settled without being fed. He's not napped longer than half an hour today and has had his vaccinations so is currently in a foul mood. Going to phone up and book an appointment with a cranial osteopath tomorrow, it's got to be worth a try.

Indith Fri 14-Sep-12 19:42:43

Last night was horrible. We had hysterical screaming, we had wakeful baby nattering away in the wee small hours. What happened to my lovely settled baby? He is still my lovely settled baby when awake though smile. He slept most of the afternoon today for some odd reason but sadly this has not meant a lovely settled baby who would go to bed, nope he is on the sofa chattering to me. Bu I am not allowed to move more than 30cm away from him or he screws up his face and starts panicked crying. Daft baby.

Cydonia Sat 15-Sep-12 00:58:19

Oh god, poor you! Sounds like separation anxiety? Another developmental leap though, maybe things will improve for you now....
How come other people have babies that just quietly get on with growing up without all this fuss? sad

notwoo Sat 15-Sep-12 03:53:33

What is with all the pooing? Just started my own thread but ds has for the last week reliably pooed at least twice a night. It's killing me!

Bloody weaning!

Indith Sat 15-Sep-12 08:32:43

Ah notwoo I feel your pain, ds2 has also started pooing like a bloody newborn since weaning. Not that much food ever gets into the baby.

Cydonia I've had one of those babies, ds1 didn't do this! All pot luck though isn't it. Same parenting, completely different children.

Feeding marathon last night hmm. Ds2 sneezing and grumping on my knee. Happy days. House shit tip. Parents coming for the weekend. Must go hang nappies, put soup and bread on for lunch and sort the dcs's duvets out so I can put the summer ones away and then pull the sofa bed out.

Want to sit here watching beebies with the big 2 and drink hot chocolate.

Thank goodness for slings.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sat 15-Sep-12 11:02:22

Slings are great...managing to get a bit more nap time in with the sling. Plus I can get some house jobs done too.

I'm almost to scared to write it but we've had a few reasonable nights in a row here. DS only woke four times last night, twice for a fed & twice to be resettled. Two feeds a night a can totally cope with. I'm even feeling pretty rested today!

Suchanamateur Sat 15-Sep-12 11:58:29

Well done Seriously. I was desperate to give DD a decent sleep yesterday after a hideous, hideous car journey but after one good nap in the cot, she refused sleep. Even in the sling. Cue a long and drawn out beftime for both toddler and baby. DH and I collapsed into bed pretty much as soon as we had them down. Holiday holiday..

rhetorician Sat 15-Sep-12 20:15:41

anybody have any idea why 9mo naps suddenly gone from 1 x 2h + 1 x 1h to 2 short ones, or why oh why she goes off easily enough and then wakes screaming about 30 minutes later (at bedtime). I suspect over-tiredness, but can't get her to nap any better...we are weary, we are weary. She is going in her own room next week, and there will be no more nighttime feeding <girds loins>

notwoo Sun 16-Sep-12 22:24:53

Oh man, I'm sorry to go on about this but the pooing is getting bloody ridiculous.

Have just spent nigh on an hour changing a dirty nappy, doing up 2 sets of poppers and a sleeping bag only to have him poo again the second I picked him up. Then on the second change he managed to get his hand in it and wipe it on the changing table.

By which point of course he's wide awake and needs another feed and a cuddle to get him back to sleep.

How on earth do people who extol co sleeping as the answer to sleepless nights cope with these situations?!

Cydonia Sun 16-Sep-12 23:29:08

Ugh, Notwoo! I feel I might have that to come, for some reason DS hasn't pooed all day and I'm just picturing it all building up inside him waiting to explode at about 3am....

Suchanamateur Mon 17-Sep-12 07:42:40

notwoo no suggestions I'm afraid as we have the opposite problem. 4 days now and despite lots of straining, nothing doing. I can tell its uncomfortable for her at night. I'm going to give solids a break for a day or so. Maybe worth trying?

Indith Mon 17-Sep-12 08:12:40

Sounds like there might be something affecting him notwoo. I'd cut right back on the solids for a bit then go gently. My dd has always had certain foods that affected her. Kiwis used to make her shit for England and even at 3 and a half just a few weeks ago we ate corn on the cob and she spent the next day pooing uncontrollably all other the place. A week later we had it again and she again spent the next day pooing uncontrollably.

Ds2 managed some crawling last night! Fingers crossed he gets well practiced at it soon and we all settle down. Last night was actually a much better night, he was far calmer and though he wanted to be close to me so I ended up all twisted and uncomfortable he went back off when he woke with some pats on the back and only fed a couple of times! He has also really got the hang of eating the past couple of days. Now I know that weaning doesn't make any difference to sleep but I can't help but hope!

Suchanamateur Mon 17-Sep-12 08:18:23

Sounds good Indith. I might try the kiwis and see of that gets things moving our end. So to speak.

We also had a better night after a grim bedtime although awake and full of the joys of spring from 4-5.30..

notwoo Tue 18-Sep-12 19:31:35

Have eased off on the solids again (such a shame when he is so enthusiastic!) and we've had a slight reduction in pooing smile

Tried his bottle of formula at 7pm rather than 11pm last night which wasn't a good plan. Took much longer to settle after it and then woke at 12.30 and 4am for a breastfeed anyway.

Am supposed to be leaving him overnight for the first time in a few weeks. Am worried he won't settle for dh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now