Tax on fizzy drinks and curb on takeaway outlets to fight obesity: good idea or not?

(206 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:20:19

Hello.

Today, doctors are calling on the government to levy an experimental 20% tax on sugary soft drinks and to make local councils limit the number of fast-food outlets outside schools, colleges and leisure centres - to help prevent the UK's obesity crisis becoming "unresolvable".

The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (which represents nearly every doctor in the UK) says it wants measures like these brought in to break the cycle of "generation after generation falling victim to obesity-related illnesses and death".

One in four adults in England is obese, and predictions are that obesity rates will soon rise to 60% of men, 50% of women and 25% of children.

The British Retail Consortium has countered by saying it's wrong to "demonise" fast-food outlets and it's down to parents to help children "build a healthy and responsible attitude to eating a balanced diet overall".

What do you think?

Do we all need measures like the doctors are suggesting to help us - and our children - stay at a healthy weight?

Or should we be left alone to eat - and feed our children - whatever we choose?

fuzzpig Thu 21-Feb-13 13:39:53

(That wasn't supposed to sound like a criticism BTW snow - just realised it sounds like it. What I meant was that I found the C4L engaging myself, although admittedly rather patronising)

Fuzzpig I am going to, I haven't been back to actually see the consultant due to a mix up with addresses (we moved and they hadn't logged the new address, seems to have been a system error) so I have only heard results from the GP who said that I only marginally missed the dx and only because of blood pressure as my heart rate shot up confused.

Interesting about the caffeine though as everything I have come across so far says that the caffeine can help as long as it's not excessive, I'm not great with salt but have tried to raise my intake as much as I can.

Kiwiinkits Fri 22-Feb-13 01:11:35

Snow, you're right, you can tell people who have a terrible diet because their skin is grey. It's so sad because its so preventable. I feel like shaking them and saying "your life could be sooo much better if you ate some greens!" lol.

CobOnTheCorn Sun 24-Feb-13 18:01:46

This sounds wrong to me. Why fill the shelves of supermarkets with crap to tempt people with, wait for them to taste, enjoy and possibly become addicted to it and then hike the price?

These two previous posts I agree with wholly:

Sockreturningpixie
It would be much better to do something about the supermarkets almost obsessive processing of almost everything they sell and how they dictate almost everything we eat.

Fuzzpig
I think lots of things need to be banned - trans fats, the various syrup things people have mentioned, aspartame etc... I don't know how manufacturers have got away with putting so much shit in our food. But it'd need to be all or nothing really, as if you only ban a couple of things they will just find other crap to use instead.

swallowedAfly
why not stop manufacturers producing and targeting food like at that children? why not ban selling fizzy drinks to kids if they're so bad and we really care about these children's health? why think oh we'll make a bit more money and they'll pay 5p more for their fizzy drinks rather than just ban their sale to kids?

I have read recently that the founders of Leon (Henry Dimbleby and somebody else) have persuaded the government to introduce HE/cooking to schools from 7 years old. They have a website called cook 5 if you want to take a look.

My concern with the government giving advice is that it's isn't always good. I thought change 4 life was poor advice, advocating high fibre and low fat. I have read so much recently about low carb/primal way of eating and this makes the most sense to me. It is a total move away from overprocessed food which I think is a huge problem is our diets today.

I'm not sure what to suggest for people who don't have ovens, only microwaves. I was thinking about huge communal cooking areas but health and safety would be a problem. Perhaps more slow cookers.

I know it sounds equally nanny state but if I was in charge I would put far more pressure on the food industry (production and peddlers, ie supermarkets) to not make/sell such terrible food. How do they get away with it?

CobOnTheCorn Sun 24-Feb-13 18:08:35

Oh, and regarding fast food outlets, they should be obliged to sell a certain amount of freshly prepared food and offer free tap water. So if they are the only option available, people can still buy food that isn't too dreadful. I have been to fish and chip shops (not in the uk) where you can choose for the fish not to be in batter and have salad instead of chips. Also, a shish kebab is not always a bad option. Some griddled meat and salad is ok. I like the street food way of eating, where food is literally cooked in front of you. Not made in a factory hundreds of miles away, transported and sat on shelves for months. Yuk!

CaidenTaylor Thu 28-Feb-13 13:46:06

Hello

My posts cannot "sound" anything or have a tone -they are typed ;).

My typed words are not goading or patronising either..they contain smiles and kisses.

Please note: "We ask members to respect each other's opinions even if they don't agree with them".

xox

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now