North London Grammar School entrance exams. V Tough?

(16 Posts)
ladybyron Tue 04-Mar-14 17:00:56

Go to the Herts section on the 11plus forum.Lots of people are posting re QEB results

Karenmum1 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:38:39

can anybody tell me what was the waiting list of QE last year and uptill what number of waiting list children got admission.

OddSins Sun 10-Mar-13 09:18:03

QEB is a school you definitely need to visit on the Open evening. Many people are put of by the atmosphere, the cull at 6th form and the headmaster. The ethnic balance is skewed and is a point that is mentioned in hushed tones that I will not comment on, but again you may want to consider this.

TenthMuse Fri 08-Mar-13 21:45:14

I was a Latymer student in the '90s, and I know people with children there now. General consensus is that it has a slightly more liberal ethos than QEB - definitely no post-GCSE cull or anything like that. Emphasis was on independent learning and self-discipline - probably not the best option if your dc needs lots of pastoral input. Catchment covers most of North London, extending into parts of Essex and Herts - lots of left-leaning, Islington media types use it as an alternative to 'selling out' by going private!

It is incredibly competitive - 10 applicants for every place when I was applying, probably more than that now. I was tutored, as were most of my friends, but not intensively - 1/2 hours a week or so. It's probably a bit more hard-core than that nowadays, although I do know several parents who successfully self-tutored (all from ordinary state primaries). I now teach, and am aware than some schools that previously sent 20+ kids to Latymer annually now get 2-3 in at best, probably because the catchment area has expanded so much. Definitely not impossible though.

As for the test, unless it's changed again for this year (they do tend to tweak it - I'd check) it's non-verbal reasoning to whittle down to the final 500, then English and Maths. They do seem to have a slight bias towards maths and sciences, so the test may be slightly skewed in this direction (certainly the children I know who get in tend to be the mathematicians). Musicians can enter via a separate route, but still need to achieve well on the tests.

Look at the 11 Plus Forum that lu9months suggested and purchase past papers (think they're available from the school?).

ladybyron Fri 08-Mar-13 14:47:41

Latymer operates a 1hour travel distance radius for potential applicants. QEB and I think HBS do not set any such criteria. Last year someone got in to QEB who was based in Newcastle, then chose to re-locate.
Agree with other posts re 6th form 'cull'. Boys are effectively forced to do A-levels elsewhere if QEB will not offer the subjects. Very harsh really as its all done on 'internal criteria', which is not made very transparent at the time. Boys, in particularly, are often last minute.com and manage to pull it out for their actual GCSE results, but by then it's too late for QE's sixth form.

JBX2013 Fri 08-Mar-13 12:56:21

Hi likestoplan!

We went through this for our daughter's 2010 entry at 11 plus. She is now at Henrietta Barnett School, having turned down Latymer. (She was also offered North London Collegiate and other indy schools.) A lot of her school friends have brothers at Q E Boys, some at Latymer. A lot has changed in recent years for the entrance exams - so I would check each school's web site first.

Good luck with your planning and prep. .... The HBS girls are bright, but they are perfectly normal as well, with a full range of personalities. What's distinctive is how active they are with everything and what a strong, driven personality each girl has. The entrance is tough but manageable.

You can private message me if you wish.

VinegarDrinker Tue 05-Mar-13 08:11:24

The vast majority of children who get into Latymer do so from normal state primaries. Yes there is more tutoring than there used to be, but it isn't unattainable by any means. It always used to be 1:10 got in.

Latymer also take a % of high achieving musicians who don't get in via the academic route.

Yes you can apply for them all.

BagLady75 Tue 05-Mar-13 08:06:19

I don't think you have to live in Barnet for QE boys either. But my experience same as mrs s - super high-achieving classmates of my DCs who subsequently got into top indies failed at the first hurdle at QEB and HBS. I think you'd be looking at major coaching/tutoring to get in.

clb Mon 04-Mar-13 20:54:25

You don't need to live in Barnet for HBS; don't know about QEGS.

FillyPutty Mon 04-Mar-13 20:34:08

QEB admits 180 or something like that in y7, but only 140 go through to a levels. The rest are managed out or told to leave. A level students are presented with a list of the a levels that they will be allowed to sit, many dont agree with these choices and are effectively constructively dismissed so to speak, and go off to study elsewhere.

lu9months Mon 04-Mar-13 19:29:11

Ps I found the WWW.elevenplusexam.co.uk forum useful for questions , and our tutor knew details of the exams. u can apply to more than one selective state school

lu9months Mon 04-Mar-13 19:25:32

Hi, my sons just got into Latymer from his state primary. He is bright, and was part of a tutor group for a year, but its not impossible. There's a big catchment but we preferred it to qe for our son. Have a look at the schools and get your child assessed to see if they've got a chance and then go for it

likestoplan Mon 04-Mar-13 18:59:26

How / why does QEB kick out a quarter of it's pupils?!

Is the entrance exam as competitive as N. London is another areas? So for example the Tiffin Schools in Kingston Upon Thames or St. Olaves (boys) and Newstead Wood (girls) in Orpington?

FillyPutty Mon 04-Mar-13 18:38:50

They are very tough, and yes, it's possible to get into an ultra-competitive top 10 private school and not one of these.

I would avoid QEB though, it kicks out 1/4 of boys before sixth form.

Latymer does English, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Maths for example.

Basically you would either employ a tutor or buy literally dozens of papers and go through these with your child until they get close to 100%.

Be under no illusions about the amount of work involved - you are looking at hours of prep over years or at least months.

You can sit exams for every grammar school in London if you wish - they will take your preferences in order, so if Latymer was first but your child failed, then if you passed HBS and that was second, she would get in there.

Most children sit for multiple selective schools if they sit for one, and for that reason there can be quite a lot of overlap in terms of pass rates - a bright and/or well-prepared child may pass all of them, an ill-prepared child will pass none.

mrsshackleton Mon 04-Mar-13 18:04:08

All I can tell you is v bright children I know, who sailed into various ultra-competitive private schools, failed at the first hurdle with all these schools. So, yes, they are very tough to get into. But someone has to do it! Sure others can tell you much more

likestoplan Mon 04-Mar-13 17:40:46

Hello
I was wondering if anybody has an info on how the application for the Grammar schools work, and how hard / competitive the exams are?
Specifically looking at Henrietta Barnett School (Girls), Queen Elizabeth's grammar school (boys) and Latymer. I understand you have to live in Barnet to apply to the first two, but Latymer's catchment area seems to the whole of North London! Is this correct? Could you apply to multiple selective schools, but do they not accept you if you dont put them as first choice (ie Latymer no.1, Henrietta no.2)?

All three seem to have different entry tests; any info on the test would be great, as well as guidance on whether coaching required or how competitive the different schools are.
School places very stressful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now