Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - New Year? So, Let's Go Up A Gear!

(1000 Posts)
ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Wed 26-Dec-12 21:54:45

Hello, tis me, Mouse (normally Mouseface but I'm wearing my festive name smile)

Welcome to the Brave Babes Battle Bus, to a place of solace, support and sanctuary, if that's what you seek of course. It's also a Bus full of bloomin' chatterboxes, waffling on about life, love and all things from school reports to laundry! grin

The journey into 2013 is going to be an ass kicking one as we're moving up a gear to give the WineWitch a bloody good slapping, and the BoozeBeast a kick in the bollo............. grin

Some of us drink in moderation, some of us drink. Some of us are sober, some of us are trying so very, very hard to be.

Some of us have been dry for days, weeks, months and some of us years...... some of us are just starting out and are scared of what stopping drinking means. It's not forever, it's just for today if that's what you want. smile

We have a saying on the Bus One Day At A Time. Or ODAAT

Take each moment, each day and each blip as it comes. The support on this Bus has kept me from ruining my life time and time again. The experiences of others shared here has helped me to change the way I see alcohol, the way I see what it does to me.

Although some Babes have been here a while and kind of 'know' each other, we all have different lives, different roles to play, different places to sit on the Bus, but we ALL have or have had abusive relationships with alcohol and we're here because we want that to change; for the better.

Everyone is welcome here so don't be afraid to just jump right in and say hi. Post as much or as little as you like!

So, come say hi, grab a seat, an eggnog (non alcoholic of course wink) and a mince pie, or chocolate chip cookie, and meet some lovely, genuine people who are just like YOU.

Also, HERE IS THE PREVIOUS THREAD with a link in the OP to the first ever thread, and the reason why after more than two and a half years, this thread is still here, supporting those in need. smile

greeneyed Fri 28-Dec-12 12:53:38

help have a lovely holiday and good luck with the surgery!
mouse forgot to say yesterday love the new thread intro.

Hope everyone is well today, peeling burning hell continues here. Saw another doc, doesn't know what it is, swabs not back till monday - I am basically being given treatment for everything, antifungals, antibiotics, antivirals. Not much sleep last night with pain and worry - have some aneasthetic cream now so hopefully will help - inlaws are coming - show must go on and all that - I'll just go in the garden every half hour and scream grin

Anyway thanks babes, needed to offload but enough of my nether regions, how is everyone today?

Forrotor don't be put off by my moaning by the way - we do talk about matters alcohol related usually not our sexual health! Hope you are okay today are you planning on drinking?

babyjane1 Fri 28-Dec-12 13:08:38

Hi babes, been lurking a while and have had another wine soaked Christmas, I feel bloated and disappointed in myself but I knew I had to hit my rock bottom before I could change, and today I have. Soooo today I will
Not drink, have been overdoing it for weeks and and it's visible
In every pore, I'm relieved!!! I'm really determined to really really try this time, my dh and dd are fed up with my behaviour
And so am I so please please please help me through the first few tough days and if anyone wants to join me, a detox partner would be great x x x

Hi Forrotor, welcome aboard the bus. I'm new to this too but have found lots of help & support aboard the bus. My situation sounds similar to yours, in that I don't drink all the time but when I do I binge & then always regret my behaviour. My 13 year old dd has told me many times that she hates what I'm like when drunk sad I'm also a crap mum to my 3 year old ds when in the cycle of drink/hangover & if I have big binge it takes me days to recover...I just feel life is too short for this destructive cycle. I went to Gp & then an alcohol drop in & was referred for counselling. I had a few sessions with alcohol counsellor & I've also been seeing a counsellor for anxiety. I've found it really helpful & I am really trying to stop binging & be more aware of how many drinks I have when drinking. Huge good luck to you & I hope you find help & support that works for you. Green your situation sounds so stressful, hope something is giving you some help. Maybe having the in-laws may in some way act as a distraction. Mouse sorry your children are so poorly, hope the nasty bugs go soon smile

babyjane1 Fri 28-Dec-12 14:10:02

forrotor and clutter how spooky, my dd is 13 and the other is 2 so I know exactly how you both feel. I hope we can help each other through this x x x x

aliasjoey Fri 28-Dec-12 14:12:49

welcome forrotor you will find loads of support and advice on here. and absolutely no judging.

green how are your ladybits today? hope you are feeling better soon

koti what's up hen? Christmas is always such a weird time, isn't it. you want to talk about it?

mouse your poor DD - there are some really nasty bugs going about right now

babyjane1 Fri 28-Dec-12 14:36:58

Hi koti so glad your back, I've missed you and koala your amazing success is an inspiration to all of us, I can't wait to be where you
Are now, keep posting the good stuff x x x

Hi babyjane would love to join you in getting healthier, feel so bloated & fed up. Been really over-indulging in food, drink, crap. Want to realistically lose 1 to 2 stones. Agree with mouse would be great to have a brave babes boot camp smile

dementedma Fri 28-Dec-12 16:04:25

Well here you all. Which one of you bastardsbabes drove off onto a new thread without me on board?
<looks round for indie>
I have just done a 40 minute fast walk and it damn near killed me but I am SO going to do this. Roll on dry January and Babe Boot camp. I am going to find the real me in 2013. I know I'm in there - like King Theoden in Lord of the Rings. The magic of sobriety will banish the fat, saggy, miserable alien that I have become, and draw out a slim, sober, kick ass me. Watch me go.....

PurpleWolfe Fri 28-Dec-12 16:15:15

You go, Ma! xxxxx

Whoo hoo MA that's fighting talk that is! With you babe, want to banish fat, miserable, drunk, hungover me! 2013 is going to be the year! smile

aliasjoey Fri 28-Dec-12 16:34:48

hmm... wondering if I should join the Babes Boot camp and get healthy, or if that would be A Step Too Far..

babyjane1 Fri 28-Dec-12 16:36:19

clutter and ma I am 100% committed to getting sober and fit, the good news is I am totally skint to have no money for wine or take away food but I pay my gym monthly so I will be able to use it anytime I want and take the kids swimming. I love my dd's more than anything and to make them proud of me and to be healthy and available to them all the time is my absolute priority, I love the idea of babe boot camp and if we all stick together we can kick ass, our own and each others,

alias you can do it, just little steps to start with. babyjane that sounds like such a good plan. I've been looking at a local gym that does a good rate for family membership & has a nice pool. My plan is to go in January & join up & banish junk & booze smile Have a party on Hogmany but going to try really hard not to drink too much then detox smile

dementedma Fri 28-Dec-12 16:51:33

Yay, fellow ass kickers! You don't need gyms if you can t afford one. I will be doing lots of walking, climbing the stairs at work instead of the lift, and hopefully some boot camp type exercises to tone up. I hate exercise classes, so will be doing this by myself, for myself.
And with the support of the ever fabulous babes!

KoalaKube Fri 28-Dec-12 17:58:15

Hello Ferrotor I only joined two weeks ago so still a new girl on the bus.
Welcome and take it a day at a time. My mantra has been from the first thread I WILL NOT BE DRINKING TODAY. It's worked for me so far - so good luck and take it easy on yourself - admitting to yourself that you want to change is the first and best step - don't worry about telling anyone else - just focus on you.

Duvet day for me today - DD2 out with friends and I'm just chillin!

KoalaKube Fri 28-Dec-12 18:06:55

BabyJane hello and sorry to hear that the last few days the wine witch has been tormenting you. Jump on the Bus and we'll all help you through your detox - remember your own advice to me and play the video forward and remember HALT - helped me enormously in the first few days after that it has been a surprisingly breezy ride - I have to check myself whenever I think that I have kicked the witch for 2 weeks and feel secure - but I know if I go back and take the first sip again it will all have been for nothing.

greeneyed Fri 28-Dec-12 18:12:25

Koala well done girl - amazing smile

Lostgirl27 Fri 28-Dec-12 18:14:15

Hi babes, I've been lurking for a loooong time and think I would like to hop on, quietly blush

Felt like utter rubbish the past few days, I'm not I'll or hungover just in a complete downer that I can't seem to kick sad my DS went to his grandparents on Wednesday and feel very lonely.

This is the first Christmas I've tried to have sober and it didn't work, I drank on Saturday and it fucked my head up for days. Life feels hopeless at the minute.

I love the sound of getting fit and eating healthy but I can't even motivate myself to get out of my jammies and have a wash sad

Apologies for the very depressing first post.

greeneyed Fri 28-Dec-12 18:15:56

Ma, I'm with you on the fitness kick! (Assuming the burning fanjo clears up, don't fancy star jumps at the moment!)

Well they are late but about to arrive - wish me luck with Christmas number 2! The meds -'m on are making me feel very sick so can't see me stomaching a drink!

Thinking of you baby x

greeneyed Fri 28-Dec-12 18:17:22

Welcome lostgirl glad you found us x

Lostgirl27 Fri 28-Dec-12 18:19:59

Thanks green smile

PurpleWolfe Fri 28-Dec-12 18:24:57

Lost Sending a huge hug - I know your pain. I was doing OK 'til Christmas hit. I knew it would be tough but didn't anticipate the strength of the slip-up. Am trying to get back on the bus, like lots of us. You are in a great pace to make the first steps. xxxxxx

Lostgirl27 Fri 28-Dec-12 18:27:19

Thanks purple. I find it so hard to talk about this in RL to real people, so very glad I've found this.

PurpleWolfe Fri 28-Dec-12 18:29:03

Green grin @ star jumps!!! Wishing your 'bits' a speedy recovery. xxxxxxx

PurpleWolfe Fri 28-Dec-12 18:36:29

Lost Nobody in my RL knows the pain this is causing me. It took me forever to even go to the Dr's. It's a nasty, evil secret that eats away at us and tries to keep us isolated from the rest of the world. This place is safe, supportive and no body wears judgemental pants Sweetpea. Take your seat on the bus, keep posting and feel the warmth from people who understand your problem and know how you are feeling. xxxxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.