Note: Mumsnetters don't necessarily have the qualifications or experience to offer relationships counselling or to provide help in cases of domestic violence. Mumsnet can't be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

The Brave Babes Battle Bus - New Year? So, Let's Go Up A Gear!

(1000 Posts)
ChristMouseTimeMistletoeNoWine Wed 26-Dec-12 21:54:45

Hello, tis me, Mouse (normally Mouseface but I'm wearing my festive name smile)

Welcome to the Brave Babes Battle Bus, to a place of solace, support and sanctuary, if that's what you seek of course. It's also a Bus full of bloomin' chatterboxes, waffling on about life, love and all things from school reports to laundry! grin

The journey into 2013 is going to be an ass kicking one as we're moving up a gear to give the WineWitch a bloody good slapping, and the BoozeBeast a kick in the bollo............. grin

Some of us drink in moderation, some of us drink. Some of us are sober, some of us are trying so very, very hard to be.

Some of us have been dry for days, weeks, months and some of us years...... some of us are just starting out and are scared of what stopping drinking means. It's not forever, it's just for today if that's what you want. smile

We have a saying on the Bus One Day At A Time. Or ODAAT

Take each moment, each day and each blip as it comes. The support on this Bus has kept me from ruining my life time and time again. The experiences of others shared here has helped me to change the way I see alcohol, the way I see what it does to me.

Although some Babes have been here a while and kind of 'know' each other, we all have different lives, different roles to play, different places to sit on the Bus, but we ALL have or have had abusive relationships with alcohol and we're here because we want that to change; for the better.

Everyone is welcome here so don't be afraid to just jump right in and say hi. Post as much or as little as you like!

So, come say hi, grab a seat, an eggnog (non alcoholic of course wink) and a mince pie, or chocolate chip cookie, and meet some lovely, genuine people who are just like YOU.

Also, HERE IS THE PREVIOUS THREAD with a link in the OP to the first ever thread, and the reason why after more than two and a half years, this thread is still here, supporting those in need. smile

Mouseface Tue 08-Jan-13 12:04:35

I'm posting the NEW THREAD now because I'm going out.

I don't want there to be nowhere to post, as has happened in the past, ahem. blush

For those who don't know, we fill this one up to 1000 post limit and then leap across to the other thread. Please can we stay here until it's full so we don't leave anyone behind? All you need to do is click on the purple 'NEW THREAD' link and it'll take you straight there.

Maybe go over to the other thread and put it on your 'watch thread' list (at the top of the page) so you know where to go once this one's full. smile

Thank you lovely Babes

See you later,

Mouse xxx

kotinka Tue 08-Jan-13 12:20:01

Thanks for sorting that Mouse! Have a good day.

determinedma Tue 08-Jan-13 12:33:51

east that's shocking about the hearing aid! Who is your MP? Can you raise a stink with them?
Go koala with the smaller size clothes. Can't wait till thats me. Really hoping I'll be in the 11s at my weigh in this weekend.
Dds are texting that they have had a row with dh who " is in one of his moods" about taking dd1 to the airport...blah. Now feel all uptight as to what I will go home to. I'll get it from both sides and be expected to agree with both sides. If that's the case I will be getting changed, going out for a LONG walk and they can get their own fucking tea.

Hey lovely Babes. Just checking in...my goodness this Bus is hurtling along at the moment!
Still sober although had a major wobble last night. Got some bad news and had a damn good cry (not like me) and wail and felt in a pit of despair. And (que Mr Ben theme but with sinister overtones) then, as if by magic, the Wine Witch appears!
Thankfully I had the sense to realise that if I stand a feckin' chance of sorting this particular mess out then the last thing I need is a hangover. So, went and had a cry, ate my bodyweight in cabbage rolls stuffed with porcini mushrooms, lentils and hazelnut filling (tis delish and very low in calories) and went to bed.
I swear I had a tinge of a boing this morning..despite all the crap that is going on. smile [albeit slightly wan one]

Hey Ma good for you! "in the 11s is something that I have not been in since my early 20s so I am in awe again!
Go for that walk and leave-em to it would be my advice. You can't be the mediator all the time lovely.
xx

helpyourself Tue 08-Jan-13 12:47:17

isinde sounds like you're really applying HALT successfully to all your trials...
determined Can you just not get involved re airport lifts? No one will be left hitch hiking in the rain or selling a kidney for petrol money! Don't pick up the slack. They're all adults; be kind to yourself.

aliasjoey Tue 08-Jan-13 12:49:37

isinde sorry to hear about your bad news, and brilliant for getting through it without resorting to the Wine Witch!

ma I know exactly what you mean about being expected to take sides - I get so fed up of trying to mediate between DD and DH, neither will give an inch, DH being so immature its like dealing with TWO ten-year-olds. I swear sometimes I have the perfect qualifications for being a UN diplomat...

Have manged to have a wee read through, my gosh this bus is fair hurtling along...hope everyones hanging on in there!

Alias love the thought of David Attenborogh commentary logging all the episodes of the brave babes grin

Gugg Amazing on the weight loss, must give you the push to keep going. Would really like the job, it's kind of a sideways step as same banding as I'm on but think it would be a lot more interesting and varied than what I'm currently doing [fingers crossed]

babyjane grin at ready brek glow

Isinde So sorry that your going through a difficult time but 'go you' for beating wicked ww at a really stressful time, hopefully more boingy days to come.

Obrigada Is really nice having the beach so close but think I don't always appreciate it cos it's so close iyswim? But me and toddler one have just spent lovely hour down there and going to try and go more often, was amazing just seeing him running about with a wee smile on his face!

Tiger Well done on day 8, that's fantastic & hope you get a better nights sleep tonight smile

Soma Glad your situation at home seems to be improving with exp and dd, sounds quite tricky but great if you can find something that works. I was thinking of going to see 'Life of Pi' but think I'll wait for dvd! Good luck with cakes (and dd turning 13!!)

MrDarcey I hate marmite but think thats the great thing about the bus, you may not like what someone is saying but then before you know it someone jumps aboard and you really get where there coming from!

Koala Well done on your weight loss, it's such a good feeling of achievement (Must get motivated to lose a bit!) smile

East How did you get on with the radio? Completely agree with Mouse that it seems so unfair that your dd is being denied treatment that will help her. Good luck with setting up JG page.

MA so so feel your pain, as I was driving home from really full on day yesterday and had tired and grumpy wee boy my dh phoned to moan about dd, I felt like driving right past my house! So could of had some wine but this morning was so pleased I hadn't!

Mouse That is so amazing about your lovely little nemo sleeping through the night. I always feel I can cope with just about anything if I've had a good nights sleep, everything always feels so much better the next day smile Massive good luck for taking nemo to hospital tomorrow, hope it's not too traumatic for him.

Phew big post and thinking of all other babes xx

Oh and Happy Birthday Purplewolfe Hope your having a good day and do some nice with dc tonight x

aliasjoey Tue 08-Jan-13 14:56:02

is it purples birthday?!

thanks and hope you have a great day!

I think I remember her saying it was, then saw on new thread Kotinka saying Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday Purple hope you have a lovely day.

Now the WW craving thing is an odd one isnt it? I have just picked up an email reminding me that I have a meeting tonight in town which we have been known to go for a drink after. Not all the time and certainly not a problem is I abstain...but a feckin WAVE of sadness and yearning and craving and I dunno...stuff..just washed over me at the thought (nay, knowledgesmile ) that I am not going to join them. Now what's that about at three a-bleedin'-clock on a work day???
<<shakes head at self and goes to polish Gerald's windscreen after Ma's sloppy de-icing over the last few weeks>>

if I abstain not is hmm

guggenheim Tue 08-Jan-13 15:45:22

Sadly taking the smug pants off- my set of scales have arrived and in fact, I'm not thin I'm just slightly less fat then last week

Having a boring day when I'm supposed to be studying and it's a big trigger for me, so sympathy to isinde

Anyhow, Happy b'day purple

aliasjoey Tue 08-Jan-13 16:05:07

you Babes are already posting on the new thread? I thought that wasn't allowed ?! (not that I am Thread Police, I leave that to mouse grin)

kotinka Tue 08-Jan-13 16:09:24

no, you're the opal fruit police ;-)

IamNotGoodAtThis Tue 08-Jan-13 16:56:49

Hi got on the bus just before Christmas and continue to lurk smile

Thankfully got through the season sober and am now on day 54 and I just want to thank you all for having the bus there in the background when the wine witch/bitch shows her ugly face.

Isinde I can so relate to that feeling of sadness as I've got my birthday coming up and I'm sure I'll go into mourning about the lack of wine. This of course is so stupid when I should be mourning my lost youth and realise that the wine will only age me even more!

Just got to keep chanting One Day At A Time, One Day At A Time and repeat!

Mouseface Tue 08-Jan-13 17:08:18

I have just been over to the new thread to tell you lot off! grin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PURPLE thanks xx All of the best people are born in January you know. Fact.

Hey Good, nice to see you back. smile And with a whopping 54days under your belt!! That's amazing!

Gugg - don't let it get you down. I'm slowly creeping back up weight wise and need to stop it happening so we can keep each other on track can't we?

How much do you want to lose?

Tigerinthegrass Tue 08-Jan-13 17:21:44

Thanks for the advice mouse I've just bought a mahoosive pack of maltesers grin . Do you not drink at all now? It's hard to get into one day at a time mind set so I understand that sadness some of you feel about the future. I hope I can start to think at least I won't be showing myself and family up by getting bladdered! Hope we all manage to keep the wine witch at bay tonightnx

Mouseface Tue 08-Jan-13 17:28:00

IsinDe - I'm sorry to hear you've had some bad news and that the WW is a callin'

I think you and I both know what might happen later on if they do go for a drink and you go with them. sad Especially after having had bad news.

Can I be honest with you? Well, I'm going to be because I care about you. If you go, I think you'll have a drink. Maybe only the one, maybe not but I'd be gutted for you. I really would. You're on day 7 aren't you? All of that hard work flushed away, litterally!!

If you did drink, do you think that you could stick to just the one or two. Are you having to drive to the meeting? Do you have to go? I hope you're not offended IsinDe....... you and I have danced this dance before and all I want is for you to finally break the cycle once and for all.

Not for me, the Bus or your family, I want you to do it for you my friend because you really are worth more than you give yourself credit for at times.

You're not a failure. You don't give up without a fight. You are strong and spirited and you give a shit. I don't see anyone else giving poor old Gerald a bloody good clean over there! grin

I know that the WW is knocking on the door, begging to be let in but maybe, just see if you can get to 6pm? I'm sorry that I can't sit with you and kick her boney ass into touch but you can do this lovely, YOU CAN!

<Hugs IsinDe quickly, and hobbles off>

Mouseface Tue 08-Jan-13 17:38:02

Tiger - it's funny you should mention that because I'm piecing together a post about how I got from 90+ units a week to 0 -13(ish), which is where I am now. So yes, I do still drink but not all of the time, not every day and mainly at weekends or if I fancy the odd glass of something. smile

We do keep alcohol of all varieties in the house and that used to kill me until I got over the fact that it being there didn't mean it had to be drunk, it's not like milk, it doesn't go off believe it or not wink

I'm going to wait until the new thread and post it on there as a bit of encouragement for any new readers we may get.

Plus, doing the post is really helping me to understand the journey I've travelled so its for selfish reasons too. I'm finding reading all about why I did things, how my drinking has changed very cathartic.

I hope no-one thinks I'm being a big headed twit or showing off to say ner, ner, ne, ner, ner, look at me. That's not why I want to share my story. I'm not throwing it in anyone's face either.... I want to help and support anyone that I can and if posting about my fucked up life prior to today, and if it does help someone then I'll be one happy Mouse xx

greeneyed Tue 08-Jan-13 17:41:14

<sits back down, tail between legs> sorry mouse

Isinde Sorry you have had some bad news - I would use that as an excuse to hit the fuck it button normally - hope you can be more grown up than me, mouse is right, you are worth more than that.

Purple Hope you are having a cracking day girl, hard to resist WW on a birthday I'm sure, just another sales pitch for her to throw at you - 'but it's your birthday oh go on' etc etc. Remember - She Lies!!

Sorry not to name check anyone else, bus moving too fast for me to keep up at the moment but I am rooting for you all.

Battling WW already here as I am feeling GUILTY another emotion I usually quash and definitely the most destructive one for me - I have spent my whole life quashing emotions with wine - wonder what it's like to actually feel those things for a change for longer than it takes to drink half a bottle?

Tigerinthegrass Tue 08-Jan-13 17:52:11

It's so strange how to read how similar we all are. green when you mentioned the fuck it button I had to snigger, I so know what you mean. It's either that or the self destruct mission button. Oh how I would love to be able to stick to the recommended units mouse. I do have other alcohol in the house but it does nothing for me at all (unless I'm on a mission and have run out of wine). I wouldn't ever start on say whiskey. Oh need to go to some star jumps or something now cause talking about it is not helping ATM. Laters x

Mouseface Tue 08-Jan-13 17:59:11

Sorry Tiger sad that's the other problem, talking constantly about drinking makes you want the bloody stuff even more!

guggenheim Tue 08-Jan-13 18:02:27

green has a tail? Right i'll cut a few holes in the smug pants then. tiger do you want stripy ones?

iam 54 days! <whistles in admiration> Fantastic!

green why do you feel guilty? I have the attention span of a gnat so apologies if you have already said.

mouse sweetie, I am very short and I weight 59.4 (9 stone 4 thingies) that is big for a short arse. I know it's going in the right direction though. Oh and I'm applying for supply teaching posts. I already do this but this is the first step towards going back to work properly. I do work but most of the time I'm 'just' a SAHM.I'm looking forward to your mega post,hope it hasn't been traumatic to write.
I have a secret plan that you should write a babes recovery book and earn a fortune.

east that is terrible! Why can't she have what she needs? ffs

This thread is not accepting new messages.