Grr... Valspar

(35 Posts)
ProjectGainsborough Wed 17-Feb-16 17:14:35

I asked Valspar at my local B&Q to colour match F&B Strong White. Got a test pot, happy with the colour so went back to B&Q (different store as visiting family) and asked them to make up 5L. I showed them the test pot, so they had the exact formula, but when it came out it was dark brown! They pointed this out and made up another 5L to their own formula. Now that I've got it home, it's different again. Weirdly pink.

My local store won't take it back as they didn't mix it and the other one is 40mile round trip. Do you think I've got any comeback? I understand they can't guarantee an exact match to other brands but I'm out 5L of paint because they can't match their own flipping test pot!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 17-Feb-16 17:43:29

I'd cut your losses. Valspar is really poor paint (have a read through the online reviews).

ProjectGainsborough Wed 17-Feb-16 17:56:54

I had to pay for another 5l as they had me over a barrel. Decorator coming tomorrow. F&B from now on, I think...

Sparklycat Wed 17-Feb-16 18:07:42

I've heard bad things about valspar. No sure why b and q moved to them from duly X?

ProjectGainsborough Wed 17-Feb-16 22:35:56

I thought MN loved Valspar. And I've seen loads of blogs raving about it. Bloody annoying.

TremoloGreen Wed 17-Feb-16 23:22:56

Valspar is good paint for the money though. It has several advantages over Dulux as a pick up from B&Q type of paint. There are some people confused about the fact it doesn't behave exactly the same as Dulux, but it doesn't mean it's not good paint. Once it's up, I think you'll find it offers much better performance for money than F&B as well.

The problem here is B&Q's shocking customer service, which I'm afraid you won't get very far with IME. I have a real love/hate relationship with B&Q and I try and make sure I shop there in a way where I never have to take anything back because it is like pulling teeth really.

I hope you like your paint once it's on the wall.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 18-Feb-16 00:03:37

No nothing to do with customer service, or the way it behaves, just shocking paint. Coverage, pigment, finish.

magicstar1 Thu 18-Feb-16 00:09:42

I've just used Valspar premium and it was great...coverage, colour etc.
B&Q should change it for you...they're not a franchise so should take responsibility for the mistake.

TremoloGreen Thu 18-Feb-16 00:33:44

What do you mean about the pigment? confused Coverage is not as good as some other brands but better opacity and finish than Dulux and other non-premium 'off the shelf' brands definitely. No comparison with acrylic vs vinyl really. More matt and more durable too. Better choice of colours and a more intuitive display so I'm pretty pleased with B&Q's decision to switch. Have only used the Premium product.

ProjectGainsborough Thu 18-Feb-16 07:42:04

Ok, well I got the premium. I will report back on coverage.

If anyone wants 5 litres of slightly pink paint, pm me wink

Snazapoo Thu 18-Feb-16 07:50:32

I just wanted to add that I love Valspar and it has worked brilliantly in every room.

We painted over hedious wallpaper in one coat and the finish is great. It's also really tough and easy to clean.

We did use the premium one with 'built-in' primer.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 18-Feb-16 08:36:34

It's an issue with the strong colours - can't find the statement now but it's to do with the level of pigment / chemicals required for the stronger / darker colours which the company accepted affected the paint.

I think there are issues with some of the finishes too (bathroom was definitely one).

Pipbin Thu 18-Feb-16 08:39:34

We used the premium. It was dreadful and fell off the walls. It was a dark colour and marked really easily.

TremoloGreen Thu 18-Feb-16 23:00:53

Ah OK. yes... I would never get a dark colour in a non-premium paint (meaning Little Greene/Mylands/Mythic etc not Valspar Premium!). More pigment requires better binders to ensure good hiding and even finish, so it's more of a challenge for a cheap paint.

I have seen a lot of bad reviews of Valspar online, but in general, it seems to be people who don't want to do priming etc* or invest in decent tools and prep that will allow them to get the paint on quick enough to allow for the shorter open time. *I would suggest even the Premiuim requires a priming step on all but recently painted in a light colour surfaces.

Dulux is a very forgiving paint which is why it's so popular with the occasional painter/DIY market. You can slap it on most surfaces with a three foot broom and it will cover the wall and dry an even colour which is all most people want. However, it also has a cheap, plasticky finish and low solids/ poor quality pigment so the colour has a 'Dulux' look to it. I think Valspar is better in terms of the depth of colour and finish and durability. I have not tried the dark colours however. Or non-premiuim Valspar - I wouldn't go lower quality than what they call Premium because the amount of extra work and paint required to get a good finish is a false economy.

Scotmum83 Fri 19-Feb-16 21:39:14

I had the same issue with getting f&b slipper satin colour matched with valspar. Colour wasn't even close. So glad I got a f&b tester pot to compare and have gone with them in the end. I've used valspar paint in a couple of rooms so I'm annoyed I couldn't get the colour the same as I was happy with the quality and finish before. Fingers crossed f&b works out ok I've heard mixed reviews for that too!

ProjectGainsborough Sat 20-Feb-16 09:37:08

See, now I love F&B but that's because I've used it for years, so I know its weirdnesses. However, even on 3 4 2 at Homebase, it was more expensive than Valspar.

Grudgingly, I will admit that it's gone on quite well in hallways etc and have already succeeded in wiping off a few half term marks. Don't like the bathroom finish though. Too sheeny / gloopy.

So... Maybe I should change the title of the thread to 'grrr B&Q' grin

Twinklefuck Sat 20-Feb-16 17:55:50

I went in last weekend to ask them to make up just walnut in valspar premium, the girl said I'd be better with silk as 'it's premixed and will scrub up better'. When that didn't change my mind she said when they scan something in they can scan the same thing 10 times and get 10 different colours hmm

Alexa444 Sun 28-Feb-16 22:24:03

Yes Twinkle that is true. I work there and mix Valspar and unless you can magically scan exactly the same patch of sample at the same angle with the exact same calibration you are never going to get the same formula twice. You could scan it 100 times and still not get two identical. There will always be a subtle difference. It's like drawing 10 circles and expecting them to be exactly identical every time. Never going to happen. That is why we save it. Obviously if you have something saved at one store you are going to have to go back to that store to get it again. In ours we are not allowed to manually enter formulas as there is so much scope for error. It isn't as simple as just typing it in especially when scaling it up to a larger size.

Also Just Walnut is a Dulux colour. They can scan it but not use its exact formula or risk getting sued. If you want a Dulux colour made up and have it an exact match then really you need to have it done by Dulux.

Pipbin Sun 28-Feb-16 22:51:28

I would like to say here that we contacted Valspar about the paint falling off the walls and being shit. They told us that it was because we didn't use their primer. Even though the paint is advertised as being paint and primer in one, and there is no mention of needing to use a primer and the paint went on to virgin plaster with a mist coat.

ProjectGainsborough Mon 29-Feb-16 21:50:59

That's rubbish Pip sad. There ought to be comeback on that

Pipbin Mon 29-Feb-16 21:52:36

We argued the toss but they wouldn't budge.

karl1972 Fri 18-Mar-16 00:33:24

HI,FIRST OF ALL THE ORIGINAL STORE,SHOULD HAVE saved THE COLOUR MADE UP,AS IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A CUSTOM COLOUR. The other store would not have the custom colour on there computer as the computers are not interlinked.
The store you bought the paint from should have explained this,because it is not simply just adding the multipler of colourants from the tester to a 5ltr,as a tester pot is 236 ml and a 5 litre is 5,000 mls which is roughly 21.186 times the size,the computer needs to work out the colourants from the original testerpot,which is recorded on the other store..the store you went to SHOULD have made you aware of this,plus rescanning in a diff store with maybe different lighting and wether they clean scanner or not will give a different 'shade' as well..i am sorry you feel mis-informed,i work on paint section IN b&q ,and i would have explained this to you BEFORE mixing the paint. Not all of us are poor at customer service,i hope you manage to get it sorted,as i am just a customer service adviser i dont know where you can go from here..But i hope my explaination helps you understand WHY it was different..

karl1972 Fri 18-Mar-16 01:24:00

the primer works like a one coat type of thing,,not to prime bare plaster walls.
although this is confusing,i make sure my customers understand the difference.
ALL bare walls need to be primed first,either with contract/or watered down emulsion.
so people use PVA but read the back of PVA as most say not to be used with waterbased paints

Pipbin Fri 18-Mar-16 08:07:08

The wall had been primed with watered down emulsion, Karl.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 18-Mar-16 18:37:13

Thank you Karl, I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch. Perhaps you could feed back to Valspar / B&Q that the systems should be interlinked since as a customer, not knowing this, I expect one store's preprogrammed Strong White to be the same as another store's. It must cause no end of problems at your end. Good luck with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now