Sounding out, whole word and phonics question

(482 Posts)

My dd is doing well with her reading. Y1.
At home we read more extensively than school books so I am aware there is an element of pushing her above her school ability so to speak. But her school books are not particularly challenging ORT Level 7.

When she approaches a long unknown word, she basically panics. Small words if unknown don't cause problems, just long ones.

If phonetic, I ask her to sound out. But she can't. I think she reads in a whole word way, and she tries to make a word that she does know without really looking at the word.
Eg
Tethered she wanted to read as teacher.

She has a lazy supply teacher this year so hasn't made much progress in school, plenty at home though.

Is this fear normal progression?

I wondered about the phonics test because if she can't sound out unknown words then this could be a problem.

learnandsay Fri 25-Jan-13 15:16:18

What are we arguing about now? How much does one have to change a sentence in order to alter its meaning? You may not need to make many changes at all.

Haberdashery Fri 25-Jan-13 15:48:01

Nobody is arguing that different tenses have the same meaning and this has turned into quite a silly argument, but to be fair I should have known that was going to happen. The triumph of hope over experience.

learnandsay Fri 25-Jan-13 15:52:56

Missbo was arguing exactly that earlier on.

learnandsay Fri 25-Jan-13 16:06:43

haberd, you were arguing it too
The meanings ARE the same, it is the tense that is different.

The meanings are different and the tenses are different. And yes, you're right the argument is ridiculous. How anybody could think that changing the tense does not change the meaning is beyond me.

mrz Fri 25-Jan-13 16:33:56

Does it matter if I read a book yesterday and plan read another tomorrow? The verb remains constant but one is past and the other is future

learnandsay Fri 25-Jan-13 16:40:25

It would matter if you read it today when having it finished by today is the homework.

mrz Fri 25-Jan-13 17:09:17

I don't get homework

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now