Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

[insert morning sickness cures here ]

(83 Posts)
honey86 Tue 12-Mar-13 20:56:53

im 6 + 3 today, and its really starting to kick in now so aside from the usual ginger biscuits, any suggestions.
i used to find lemonade did the trick, but now in sick just the thought of it.blushconfused

And me. I feel really teary today. So fed up with feeling like this. AND knowing it's going to last for another 7.5 months.

honey86 Tue 19-Mar-13 07:46:08

it got me again, soon as i opened my eyes this morning confused gerrrrr x

Rainbows & Honey ....omg ditto that! Been feeling so guilty about the food in the cupboards and fridge that I can't even look at! Have a huge watermelon in the fridge with one slice gone! Sent DH out for chips earlier.... Could only face a peanut butter roll when he got in!!!! confusedgrin

I like Marmite on toast and I find it def helps to make sure stomach is never empty. It's hard work trying to think of things to put in it tho!!!! smile

nannyl Sun 17-Mar-13 21:04:17

if you have HG eating little and often and ginger and other "wives tales" are highly unlikely to help.

anti-emetics if you can get your Dr to prescribe them, might, though i always had to like down 100% still, in absolute darkness and concentrate on breathing to try to keep then in me for the 1 hour they need to be in me... easier said than done, and didnt always work.

always take a urine sample (my dr got used to me taking in a bottle with about 1 drip of wee in the bottom for her to dip her stick into), and honestly, as awful as being admitted to hospital is, IV rehydration, and IV drugs do make you feel better for a short while (and feeling better for anytime at all is worth it)

ATouchOfStuffing Sun 17-Mar-13 19:35:52

Oh and eating little and often. The hungrier you get (even if you don't actually feel it, IYSWIM) the worse you will feel, so nibbling on stuff is better than not eating.

ATouchOfStuffing Sun 17-Mar-13 19:35:08

Marmite on toast was all I wanted early on. I remember being really surprised at actually having my tummy rumble at 16 weeks as I had felt so off my food until then! I seem to remember reading something about marmite helping somehow with morning sickness, and it did for me smile

RainbowsFriend Sun 17-Mar-13 19:33:33

Annoying isn't it? I can't even buy any food as if I do I will have gone off it by the time it has come home - I'm better if DP buys it.

I also can't eat anything I prepare other than toast....

honey86 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:16:15

rainbows grin just like me... buy something... look at it when im home... go green in the face grin

RainbowsFriend Sun 17-Mar-13 19:06:58

Poor DP keeps getting sent out for food I fancy - then I go off it the next day and it lingers in the cupboards!

Crisps, ice cream, cuppa soups, melon.....

honey86 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:04:47

i agree... it takes me alot of browsing extensively at the supermarket to find something i can bear the thought of eating but i do find sumthing eventually x

cupcake78 Sun 17-Mar-13 18:49:32

2 x HG pregnancies and a very understanding gp who had been through similar.

She also said the only cure is time and/or childbirth.

You can't fight it, you have to go with it! Eat whatever you can stand.

RainbowsFriend Sun 17-Mar-13 18:45:07

honey86 Same here! I had a really good day sickness-wise yesterday - and so in my head it had all gone terribly wrong.

nannyl thanks for that - I keep wondering if I am getting near HG - but it's only the odd days that I feel that bad - and I've actually put on 4 pounds due to the constant eating biscuits etc that I have to do... I am fairly sure I am getting dehydrated though as I am only weeing maybe twice a day and it is very dark - but fluids make me feel awful....

On the lemonade again today though - finally a liquid I can drink that doesn't make me wretch!

honey86 Sun 17-Mar-13 18:12:34

when i feel fine, i think 'is something wrong?'

when i feel sick, i think 'ohhogohgodohgod what was i worryin about!!'

then when i feel fine again i think 'hmm... is something wrong?'

and so on grin

just forced down a meal in the hope that itll help... so far im bitterly disappointed blush

Hello ladies. I actually find that anything with even the slightest bit of acid in (even squash) makes me feel sick...so i can't have lemonade or juice. Which i am gutted about because there's nothing better when you want to re-hydrate. The only liquid i can have, when i'm in the throes of it, is fizzy water or herbal tea. I had a good day yesterday which really surprised me. I wasn't sick and i managed to get out of the house. Even getting up and having a shower was a first all week, let alone leaving the house. I haven't felt quite so perky today, prob cos i over did it yesterday (trying to get everything organised for when i felt rubbish again! hmm ) but still haven't been sick. But then i did that inevitable thing of thinking....Ok i've stopped feeling so bad, maybe something's wrong?!!!! confused But of course, i know i am being ridic!!!! grin and the wave of nausea washing over me now is reassuring me of that!

ananikifo Sun 17-Mar-13 15:19:46

I'm living on belvita biscuits (the plain ones) and ocean spray cranberry juice. All other cranberry juices I've tried we're too sweet and not tart enough but cold ocean spray is do refreshing and wonderful! I also do better with boring foods like jacket potato with plain cottage cheese and a turkey breast sub from subway (with not much sauce in it).

nannyl Sun 17-Mar-13 15:05:24

rainbows
sorry to hear you are so poorly... vomitting hourly is getting on for hyperemeisis.

do go over the the hyperemisis support, and get to your doctor if it continues.

if you continue vomiting hourly you have to be very careful about dehydrating (which can be inevitable)

if you dehydrate badly you will feel awful (like death)....

eat what you can when you can and drink what you can when you can, and if you cant cope go to dr.

hope you improve soon

Lydia161290 Sat 16-Mar-13 16:07:27

I found soda water a brilliant help.

RainbowsFriend Sat 16-Mar-13 16:05:39

Well after a dreadful day yesterday - when I actually threw up pretty much every hour, and felt dreadful in between - today I have either discovered something that works, or my symptoms are reducing...

(yesterday I was actually carrying a bucket around at work from classroom to classroom... would nip into the prep room between lessons to vomit - grim)

Anyway - today's cure is = Umpteen rich tea biscuits, and either Proper flat lemonade - really tart, or pineapple juice. And tuna mayo on toast.

StillRockin Sat 16-Mar-13 10:16:46

Well you were on the right track with the ginger biscuits. You just need more of it! Grated ginger, boiled for 5 minutes, with honey or lemon, to make strong ginger tea. Or if you don't like the taste, take ginger in capsules.

nannyl Fri 15-Mar-13 22:58:38

if you feel you arnt coping or that its more than morning sickness get to DR asap and insist on anti-emtics...which may help things slightly, and may or may not stop you dehrdrating to the point where you need to be in hospital.

On my 2nd HG pregnancy now, and have concluded that child birth is the answer, vomited until 1 hour before dd1 was born, my total pregnancy vomits so far (40 + 1 last time and 26 weeks now) must be at least 1000......

also if dr suggests you go to hospital, dont fight it and do go, cause IV drugs and pints and pints of IV fluids, help you feel better for a short while too

Pudgy2011 Fri 15-Mar-13 20:21:57

I asked the doctor the same thing and he said that early in the first trimester you don't particularly need the pregnancy vitamins or the iron. Only the folic acid.
He told me to get past the sickness first and then he put me on the non-iron tablets which didn't cause me to barf.

Later in the pregnancy, around 30 weeks I started becoming slightly anaemic, at which point he put me on iron tablets too. No nausea from them at that point.

honey86 Fri 15-Mar-13 19:45:56

i always assumed that iron would benefit me cos im prone to anaemia in pregnancy.. prob will again confused

honey86 Fri 15-Mar-13 19:32:28

me too jess smile n im only 6 days behind you sad dreading the early morning bit cos i know im going to feel awful... just wanna get this first trimester over with...
its mostly bad nausea, feeling on the verge on retching but not actually doin any

Pudgy2011 Fri 15-Mar-13 19:25:56

The only thing that helped me were drugs and plenty of them. I couldn't eat anything though, was throwing up multiple times a day and could barely keep water down. Drugs were great and I won't hesitate to take them the next time either.

Ironically ginger made me puke. And so did the pregnacare tablets I was taking. Thankfully my OBGYN told me only to take folic acid and once I hit about 14 weeks, gave me a script for pregnancy vitamins without iron in (apparently the iron in the pregnancy vitamins can make some people really sick).

I know...I am obsessed with people who are pregnant who ENJOY it! I look at 'sleb's going off to red carpet events and think...where are you getting your energy from? Even when i didn't feel like voming myself to death the first time, all i wanted to do was lie face down on the sofa! And I am normally quite active! I used to LOVE zumba! I've had to delete myself from the zumba group on facebook because i am so jealous of other people going off to jump around and be silly for an hour. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now