Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

11 weeks (ish) and craving a glass of wine

(147 Posts)
LittleMrsExpecting Sat 16-Feb-13 17:55:17

Hi everyone, I am 11-12 weeks pregnant and although normally am not a big drinker am dying for a glass of wine. Have people been having the odd glass or abstaining from wine full stop? x

FoofFighter Sat 16-Feb-13 19:38:08

ffs get real.

FAS WILL NOT happen after one glass of frigging wine!!!!!!

nellyjelly Sat 16-Feb-13 19:41:50

Agreed.

Rache1S Sat 16-Feb-13 19:47:28

Proper research has never been done simply because pregnant women are not going to volunteer for clinical studies which could potentially harm their babies. It is largely the case of the great unknown at the moment.

All these women who are on here saying they had a drink and their babies turned out fine do not know how they would have turned out if they had abstained. Would their children be those few IQ points higher? They will never know. And I pity them if it is proven in their lifetime that alcohol in lowish quantities does affect fetal development. Until death is a long time to live with that kind of guilt.

It's not worth the risk.

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 19:47:42

Foofighter you don't even the geneology of the OP. Some people, like I said, are very unlucky. I don't care if anyone drinks during pregnancy but if it turned out okay for you you shouldn't give a blanket okay for everyone.

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 19:52:39

By the way, I am 11 weeks today. Neurons are multiplying incredibly quickly. Why would you have a drink when all that is happening?

I've had some really lovely non alcoholic wine during this pregnancy. Sainsburys do a lovely Rose, if that's your bag, if not I think most white and Rose wines taste identical really.

If its red you're craving you may need more iron in your diet smile

Flisspaps Sat 16-Feb-13 20:10:03

Rache Please don't pity me or my kids if it is found that drinking small amounts of alcohol lowers IQ by a few points.

My children are absolutely perfect as they are, and I will not feel a single second of guilt.

PurplePoppySeed Sat 16-Feb-13 20:10:30

Carolra - when did your craving start, my DH has just opened a rather strong smelling beer and although I normally hate beer, the smell of this is settling my rather sicky stomach. Not planning to have any but I am enjoying smelling it! Never had that before, Im 9+3, anyone else think its as weird as I do?

BigPigLittlePig Sat 16-Feb-13 20:13:27

My mum was told by doctors to drink guiness. I turned out fine, have an excellent degree and a good job - just saying...
The OP was asking about A glass of wine - there is no evidence that 2 units will cause harm. As with everything, it isn't black & white, rather a murky shade of grey. At the end of the day, it is the decision of the individual. What I would say though is that lots of people are guilty of having a unit or two whilst pregnant, and there are really not that many children with FAS.
It's funny that people are much more accepting of women smoking through their pregnancies, despite the risks attached to that hmm

BigPigLittlePig Sat 16-Feb-13 20:15:05

purple I was borderline dehydrated from morning sickness for weeks, and had a Pimms at a wedding, which quenched my thirst and settled the nausea. Could have wept with relief.

Wincher Sat 16-Feb-13 20:22:42

Go for it OP. Am 10 weeks myself and I had asmall glass of red last nightstand savoured every drop over the course watching a film. I honestly don't think there's a problem with doing g that once a week or so.

hairymonkey Sat 16-Feb-13 20:25:58

Hmm, one glass of wine at eleven weeks, the alcohol passes through both the liver and placenta, well I reckon I could live with that guilt for the rest of my life, I have two children and I had probably a glass of wine a week with food while pregnant. I would do the same again.

Thinkingof4 Sat 16-Feb-13 20:43:18

The thing is its unlikely to be 'just one glass of wine ' for the whole pregnancy is it? If someone is drinking in first trimester when the advice is generally to avoid then its fair to assume they may also have 'just one glass' at other (less harmful) times.
I personally am abstaining, and although I can just about understand an occasional glass after the first trimester I don't get why anyone would need one at the most crucial time for brain development.

Gingerbreadpixie Sat 16-Feb-13 20:46:02

I've been craving wine too! I'm going to give Sainsbury's alcohol-free stuff a try. I like the alcohol-free lager and cider I've tried so far too.

FoofFighter Sat 16-Feb-13 21:03:05

And where exactly have I said that then ExpatAl? hmm? hmm

OP there's a big long thread on this very subject on the pregnancy board maybe you could look on there too before making up your mind to have your one glass of wine, but beware the sanctimonious carpers...

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 21:13:37

Interesting article Quite old now but I found it helpful when I was pregnant - someone had posted it on a similar thread to this. The same debates rage on...

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 21:14:43

It's got sod all with being sanctominious. You said that one glass doesn't cause FAS and I said that for some unlucky people it does. I said that repeatedly. You said that it wouldn't.

ExpatAl Sat 16-Feb-13 21:16:10

Very old article. Nothing to do with knowledge that has been gained since.

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:03

What knowledge has been gained since? Am genuinely interested to know.

lucybrad Sat 16-Feb-13 21:19:59

can you show me one link with evidence that someone got FAS from having one glass of wine.......hmm

Coconutty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:23:49

I didn't and certainty wouldn't if I were you. Just like I stopped smoking during my pregnancies. I wasn't so desperate for a drink or a fag that I would have taken a risk with my babies health, however small.

I have worked with children with FAS though so am more opinionated than most on it, but wouldn't give my opinion unless asked.

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 21:30:09

Coconutty the kids you worked with who had FAS - were their parents heavy drinkers?

I'm asking sincerely as the one child I know with FAS had an alcoholic mother. Like the woman cited in article above she drank a bottle of vodka a day.

I also dispute what was said up thread about it's never only one drink - but then I'm not a drinker even when not pregnant. I felt fine about having a glass of wine with a meal out or at a special occasion when I was pregnant. In fact I'm glad I had my glass of wine and enjoyed it as I don't drink at home and we never bloody get out now we have a baby! wink

Angelico Sat 16-Feb-13 21:31:06

Ps; coconutty kudos on quitting smoking - my sis had tried numerous times and found pregnancy was the one thing that helped her quit for good after smoking for 15 years smile

LegArmpits Sat 16-Feb-13 21:32:26

The only child I've known with FAS had a mother who drank a litre of vodka every day.

NotSoNervous Sat 16-Feb-13 21:34:01

I didn't have any

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now