Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant type 1 diabetics, step over here...

(1000 Posts)

I seem to have filled up the old thread and thought I better start a new one! grin Still got ages to go, don't leave me now...

Am currently sat waiting for my 16 week antenatal appt, been here an hour so far and just had BP done and that's it.

Hoping I think that's about what ds was try not to worry though it might not be accurate.

Diec try not to worry too much I let the diabetes take a back seat until quite recently

Mylittlepuds Mon 11-Feb-13 17:44:22

Right I'm weird. That's made me feel like I need to stop being silly and stop effectively starving myself! Thanks for the kick up the bum.

Oh Diec! Is it the BFing? I was in a hypo haze for ten months with DS. Good idea to stay with parents. I may have to do that too this time. If not I'll certainly need to accept a lot, lot more help.

Hopingforno2 Mon 11-Feb-13 22:09:40

Thanks spotty just a bit of a shock as thats 3lbs effectively in a month im getting scanned again in 2 weeks time so i guess time will tell.

Baby is also being a bit stubborn lol last week at babybond head down but today back in breech!! So do i continue/get more serious with the spinning babies? She keeps flipping so will they even help

dieciocho Tue 12-Feb-13 12:40:35

puds, spotty yes,it's the breastfeeding - l snack before a feed, then she hardly eats and my blood goes sky-high so next time l don't snack, she eats loads and l hypo like a crazy person.l can't win.
Yes,l have let things slide a bit, but l feel so unwell 50% of the time, letting go after 12 months of tight control is bloody hard.
And all the extra snacking ruins my appetite for normal meals. I've now started using chocolate spread to fight hypos as it doesn't fill me up. l've eaten a whole jar in the past week...shock

Hopingforno2 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:53:12

Ok a question for you all, my driving licence expired on 7th january and my new one has not come as yet i called and there is a back log of 4 weeks so could be a month before i get it, i am getting a form out that i will need a health prof to sign to say im fit to drive but until that comes am i ok to continue driving? This could be a problem as im main driver on insurance and need to get about sad

BonaDea Tue 12-Feb-13 13:59:59

Diec - sounds very very hard. I think I was fooling myself that when Baby Bona arrives all will be back to normal. Ha ha ha. Sounds like I'll just be in for more diabetic nightmares. All I could suggest (having zero experience) is that you wait until during or immediately after Violet's feed to snack so that you can better judge how much you need. If she starts off guzzling, then have your snack, if she seems less interested, maybe hold off. Easier said than done, I know. I'm starting to worry that if I'm bf'ing I won't be able to leave the house for fear of hypoing all over the place!

Puds - you really need to man up! grin Being serious, I know you have anxiety issues and it must be tough, but you have to eat. I would be dead if I limited myself to 13 u in 4 hours. Took 26u this morning for a punnet of raspberries and a greek yoghurt, with total carbs of about 6g

Hoping - all I can tell you is that a) growth scans are notoriously inaccurate; and b) you are already doing all you can, so don't beat yourself up. A lady on another forum I post on told me that her consultant told her that there are reasons above and beyond good control why diabetic mothers have big babies - they haven't done nearly enough research yet to truly understand it. So your 5% and my 5.2% are great, but might not be enough to stop us having big babies. After the massive leap I had last week, I'm dreading next week's growth scan!

As for your drivers license, common sense would say to me that if it is the DVLA's backlog AND you have had no change to hypo awareness there should be no issues with you continuing to drive in the meantime. But, probably to be on the safe side I would give them a call to ask

I don't know about that driving licence? Should be ok I would have thought?

Yy re big babies even with good control. Mine wasn't quite as good as yours but was 5.8 and ds was still big. My DNS said they just don't know why it happens.

I haven't had many hypos with the bf. now I've got my levemir sorted I seem to be fine.

I remember reading a magazine article when I was about 12 titled 'breast feeding killed my wife' confused she was diabetic and had a hypo whilst driving. I always eat a mini mars bar before I drive blush because I worry, only 12g of carbs in one though grin

BonaDea Tue 12-Feb-13 14:32:07

spotty - probably not a bad thing to do, especially if you have the DCs in the car with you! I have stash of chocs in my glove box grin

Hopingforno2 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:40:07

Thanks, i guess sInce ds was 7lb 10.5oz i was thinking that this lo wouldnt be too much heavier but my mum who isnt diabetic said that i was 7lbs 14oz and my younger sister was 9lb 12oz so myb it just how i will be too just hope baby doesnt get to over 10lbs sad im only 5ft 2 lol

It was the dvla that said they would send out the form for a doc to fill out so i have something to carry with me while im waiting but seems weird never had to do that before

Ugh, don't know what's going on - was really high last night for no apparent reason (14), corrected and was 10 by bedtime, corrected again and was still 10 at 2am, corrected again and was down to 8.5 by breakfast? Madness. Don't think I'm coming down with anything as I'm just getting over a hideous cold. Was up a lot with DS overnight but that wouldn't have affected levels before bed. I hate not being able to tell what the issue is.

BonaDea Wed 13-Feb-13 10:05:06

That's really annoying, but happens to me from time to time where the levels just WILL NOT budge. If you are not coming down with something, it might just have been some sort of hormone surge which is entirely possible!

I'm having not a bad morning so far - woke at 5.8 for once (had upped my Levemir by a further 2 units last night, so that's 6 units up over the last week) and by taking 8u with no food, managed to keep it to 7.6. Have just had a massive dose so I can eat something, but will wait half an hour for it to kick in.

Speaking of kicking, my little one is booting me in the ribs continually at the moment. grin

dieciocho Wed 13-Feb-13 15:42:57

rue, someone on here mentioned an article about lack of sleep causing rises in blood sugars...could that be the case as you'd been up a lot with your DS?

Can't help re: driving licence Q; I don't drive shock

blush V and I haven't left the house for 5 days - snow, hypos, b-feeding...other excuses wink?

dieciocho Wed 13-Feb-13 15:44:34

Sorry rue, I didn't can't read properly.

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 15:58:50

Oh dear. I've had a really bad virus for days now and levels although not shocking (high teens) certainly not good - floating around 9,10,11.

So I've used it as a good time to start scoffing myself with loads of choccy!!! WTF! I need to get a grip!! I've lost the will of good control! Oh dear...monster baby approaching.

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 16:00:38

Bona can't believe you've had to take 8u with no food. Although I'm getting that way. Seem to have to inject 3u randomly just to keep things from rising. Particularly on an evening now. Mornings I've just accepted are a bad time for me...

BonaDea Wed 13-Feb-13 17:27:27

puds unbelieveable but true! I just do it now as a matter of course. I can't deal with it using morning Levemir because if that goes up too much I end up with a major hypo on my hands by mid-late afternoon!

I am so looking forward to not having to worry about this quite so much!

diec - am so jealous! Being all snug and safe at home with your baby sounds lovely smile

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 17:29:42

Ugh hear you sista

Argh I've run out of test strips again

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 19:08:08

Argh! Anything more annoying? Do you have any you through tonight? Can your DH pick up an emergency box from your usual pharmacist/buy a box and get the money back (we've had to do that quite a few times).

No completely out! Our pharmacy closes at six. Ill just have to sort it tomorrow

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 19:20:26

Oh balls. On the very odd occasion I've made him go to the emergency pharmacy and buy a pack. £30 but they (thankfully) let us have a refund when I took them a prescription for one box from my doctors. If you still have hypo awareness though I'd put them to the test!

We're in the middle of nowhere so would be a 40 minute trip to a big tesco hmm I'm not too worried really it's only one night smile

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 19:41:35

Blimming heck! Where are you? Just eat loads of sweets - 'tis for medicinal purposes after all.

I'm in the country Sussex/Surrey border, we don't even have road markings round here! wink

Mylittlepuds Wed 13-Feb-13 20:03:29

Oooh sounds idyllic. Would love to live in a country village. I'm in the burbs in oop North.

This thread is not accepting new messages.