Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any pregnant Type 1 diabetics?

(1000 Posts)
dieciocho Thu 06-Sep-12 07:44:33

Hi,
I'm looking for other pregnant Type 1 diabetics in London, just to have someone to keep in contact with and share advice/horror stories/support each other etc.
I don't actually know anyone at all with Type 1, despite having had it myself since 1989

dieciocho Mon 03-Dec-12 15:12:02

Puds, I've read that drinking green tea isn't advisable during pregnancy...

newbie6 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:41:25

puds - think green tea is okay as long as its caffeine free? diecicoho is right in that they warn you re the caffeine in it but they say just to not drink too much of it? Am sure you can get caffeine free green tea though.

That's good your sugars are being better behaved smile

x

Mylittlepuds Mon 03-Dec-12 16:14:30

I think it's alright as long as you don't go OTT. I drink chamomile tea too. Just two mugs a day combined. I was thinking of getting decaf though as caffeine sends me a bit jittery!

dieciocho Tue 04-Dec-12 07:40:31

Good morning everyone,

I've got my 32-week scan tomorrow (31+6); what will the sonographer (hopefully not the horrible no-photos one from last time) be checking for? Is there anything I should ensure they tell me or that I should definitely ask?

I'm thinking of asking/demanding a photo of the face at the very least, after all the excuse last time was that they couldn't fit the whole of the baby on the photo.

BonaDea Tue 04-Dec-12 12:48:55

You should at least ask!!

My understanding is that at these scans they are plotting the baby's size (particularly tummy circumferance) against 'standard' measures. At my 20 week scan I even got a couple of graphs which showed where my baby plotted on the scale. So, definitely ask how she thinks you are faring size-wise for your gestation. I'm not sure that they check for anything else like abnormalities as those would have been picked up at 20 weeks scan? Others (who have done this before!) will definitely know more than me!

I was at clinic this morning. As my levels have been all over the shop the last few weeks I was dreading it, but everyone was lovely and very reassuring. The consultant quipped that feeling anxious / inadequate / guilty will just stand me in good stead for parenthood! She was so nice and told me that what I think of as 'bad' levels and lots of ups and downs are just part of it, that I'm fighting an uphill battle and that she sees lots of people with much worse control who care a LOT less. That, if nothing else, made me feel a lot better. Onwards and upwards.

My DSN gave me the sage advice: if it looks like you need to take even more insulin, take even more insulin. I know it in my head, but it is good to hear someone else say it, so that as I am approaching doubling my Levemir dose daily from pre-pg I just need to remember it doesn't matter if it works.

dieciocho Tue 04-Dec-12 13:11:57

That does sound good Bona, it's lovely to hear supportive things form drs.

BonaDea Tue 04-Dec-12 13:14:22

Yep. Although of course it will only make me feel better for about another hour or so, then I will be back to fretting again! wink

Mylittlepuds Tue 04-Dec-12 14:51:35

Very good advice from your team there Bona!

diec hope the scan goes well! I think from memory they're mostly measuring AC (abdominal circumference), FL (femur length) - that might be it, actually. Somewhere in your green notes you should find a little graph with the measurements plotted on compared to "normal". You could ask for an estimated weight now, too, though that's not very accurate. If you get one, then to compare, DS was born at 31+3 and weighed 1.6kg/3lbs8 at birth.

Bona hope the feel good factor stays around a bit longer!

I missed my last diabetic/antenatal appt last week because DS was throwing up so didn't want to risk hospital & norovirus (turns out he just has a snotty cold, hey ho). But I tried to rebook the appt, and the first one they could give me is 18th December. Thoughts on what I should do? I'm meant to be seen every 2 weeks throughout, there'll be 5 weeks between appointments if I go with 18th.

In good news though, I had my "12 week" scan on Friday, dates changed so I'm now 14+2, EDD 2nd June, and all looked fine. Was expecting it to be a big relief, but I just feel flat and rather meh about the whole thing. Strange.

Mylittlepuds Tue 04-Dec-12 22:20:07

Oh dear...healthy eating fail. Went to a Christmsd party, had cheesecake and an hour after I'm at 15. Oh shite. Tell me on allowed a treat and it's not too naughty!!! I also had a glass of prosecco!

Rue I felt a bit like that - kind of like 'phew' now onto the next worry! I have my 20 week scan on Thurs. Praying all okay.

Mylittlepuds Tue 04-Dec-12 22:21:13

Pleas ignore typos - I'm not drunk. Honest.

newbie6 Tue 04-Dec-12 23:34:44

Hey, I reckon we are all allowed a high sugar now and again as we wouldn't be human otherwise and at least it won't be high for ages as you're testing regularly so you can correct it. X

Mylittlepuds Wed 05-Dec-12 07:20:39

Thanks Newbie :-) have woke up and all ok so back to non naughtiness today! X

dieciocho Wed 05-Dec-12 13:06:54

Well, so my 32-week scan went well; the head and abdomen sizes are absolutely fine, very average in fact. The sonographer was a friendly woman and seemed very happy with me. Baby weighs 1.9 kgs.
Unfortunately, I couldn't have a photo because the little monster is breech again and is lying facing my spine - she offered me a photo of a jumble of arms and legs or one of the side of its head. The movements that I feel near my left hip are currently its bum! The reason I've been having discomfort on laughing/yawning lately is because its head is pressed up against my diaphragm.

At the ante-natal clinic, I got lots of positive comments from the DSN and doctor about my control, although they've decided to put me on CGM for 1 week as I had ++++ (yes, 4) glucose in my urine. No-one could explain that as my daytime glucose readings are always between 3 and 8
We have to assume something untoward is happening during the night.

I got into a heated discussion with the doctor about sliding scales and we ended up agreeing to disagree; she says it's hospital policy to use them and when policy is disregarded in whatever department, mistakes happen.
My mum agrees with the doctor, so I may have to fire her as my second birthing partner and find someone who supports me more!

I'd support you diec I can't stand sliding scales! grin Hope you find someone/get your way with it.

Will your CGM display results, or is it one where they have to download them first? I had the latter, not so useful at the time but interesting looking back - you plug in your blood tests along the way, and these show up on the download info too so you can see what point you're catching in the rise and fall.

dieciocho Wed 05-Dec-12 15:35:16

Thank you Rue, I might try my sister; she's as stubborn as me : )

The CGM will be the downloadable type, as the doctor is only interested in her seeing the results - not me! They're all keen to see the printed graphs apparently.

dieciocho Wed 05-Dec-12 15:50:45

Rue, Puds, Spotty*, could you explain how you managed your sugars/insulin during labour to avoid being on a sliding scale, please? (assuming you did avoid it)

How often did you test? I'm thinking every 30 mins.
How often did you inject?
Did you lower your ratios from those you'd had in the 3rd trimester?
How often did you eat?
What did you eat?

Thank you!

I'm on a pump, so it's a bit different - my basal keeps me stable generally so it wasn't such a problem. Having said that, I had sections, and had to be on a sliding scale for the op itself in case they needed to put me under GA - the anaesthetist could manage a sliding scale, but not a pump so it was safer. But he took me straight off it at the end and I just suspended my pump for the duration. And you have that many drips etc in anyway it wasn't such a big deal!

BonaDea Wed 05-Dec-12 16:06:33

diec- fantastic news on the scan! That sounds like all is well and your hard work is paying off. How weird about the ++++ though. Perhaps you are having an uexpected hypo in the night, having a liver dump and then falling again before you wake?

On the sliding scale thing, surely you still have to test on the sliding scale? I reckon every 30 minutes sounds sensible....

Did the doctor give any reason / justification beyond 'it's policy'? I don't really understand the rationale, I must confess...

Mylittlepuds Wed 05-Dec-12 16:22:49

I had the sliding scale last time. No issue with it except the 'handing over' of control which really freaked me out as I distrust anything like that. Also it meant I was tied to the bed which was not good.

I'll be asking for no sliding scale this time but I fear my hospital's policy will be the same as yours Diec.

What's the reason you don't want one Diec?

BonaDea Wed 05-Dec-12 16:33:08

Rue - congratulations to you too! And 2 weeks less to wait - woo hoo!

puds - what reason did they give you other than policy? I just don't understand the rationale.

Unless they give me a damn good reason, I wouldn't agree. It is just non-sensical. I think it was invented in the days of mixed insulin, not these days when you have a basal insulin to keep you steady and then inject insulin depending on what you eat afterwards.

dieciocho Wed 05-Dec-12 16:39:10

Bona that's my thought re: the nights - hypo, dump, slow drop in levels. So I'll find out in the next couple of weeks when the CGM has done its job.

Doctor said that in all likelihood if we didn't have the sliding scale, the midwives would say they weren't responsible for monitoring me/my blood sugars and DP might get distracted or pop out for a bit and then no-one would be responsible for my readings. ("No offence to your partner") I'd probably be quite distressed during labour and wouldn't be able to take charge of things myself.

She says they generally only use the sliding scale for phase 2 of labour (ie. pushing = up to 2 hours).

I, like you Puds, don't want to hand over control of something that I've spent the last 22 years of my life trying to control to people who don't really know much about it. Doctor said "But the MWs are used to monitoring sliding scales." Oh good, that's alright then, NOT. Diabetes is a whole thing.

Mylittlepuds Wed 05-Dec-12 17:01:14

Hmmm my midwives were lovely but really...how many times will they have used a sliding scale etc etc? I still don't know what it does and I've had one!

Yeah labour hurts but unless you're on a strong painkiller then you will be able to test yourself. However if you do choose to take pethadine or something similar as a sliding scale will be needed as you can be completely - and I mean completely - out of it. I didn't know who I was or where I was. That's why this time I'm going straight for the epi when the pain becomes too much to bear. Unless of course your husband knows what he's doing - mine doesn't!

BonaDea Wed 05-Dec-12 17:04:11

so, does the sliding scale test you?

I thought it just administered insulin and glucose?

Mylittlepuds Wed 05-Dec-12 17:18:20

I presumed it would otherwise how would it know to deliver insulin/glucose or an I just totally getting mixed up? Unless the midwives do it when you can't?

This thread is not accepting new messages.