Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

welcome to the new SPD sofa, have a [biscuit] and a [brew]!

(318 Posts)
sillywmama Sat 19-Nov-11 18:26:27

Hello all... just thought I'd start a new SPD support thread for anyone dealing with the whole achy fanjo/painful back/ridiculous inner thigh pain. I'm 9weeks pregnant and am settling in for the long haul. <fluffs up pillows and pops a paracetamol>

I have to confess I'm feeling a tad emotional that the pain is ALREADY here again but at least I'm better prepared this time! Last preg was spent flipping between teeth-gritted stoicism and hysterical wailing tears. No fun for anyone!

Taking enormous doses of codeine and hobbling around on crutches is something I'd like to avoid this time round so I'm going in all guns blazing for a consultant led care plan, pain clinic appointments and physio ASAP.

Anyone is welcome to join me! <puts the kettle on and hands around the jammy dodgers>

philbee Tue 15-Jan-13 09:46:40

Joining again. I'm 27 wks now. Pain came on about 13 but eased again. This last week it's been a lot worse. citydweller I've had same experience, had two Osteo appts, first very helpful and second seemed to move pain into area above my coccyx, not nice. Haven't been before Christmas but have an appt with someone else next week.

Have to say it's really getting me down. We were late on school run this morning and I'm forced to walk at a snail's pace so DD missed the gate and had to go in through the office - she was really upset, she's only 4. And I dread the commute to work, only two days a week but busy train and tube. I am trying to think of other options for getting in, different hours etc. but nothing seems feasible. Rubbish.

rainand Wed 30-Jan-13 12:03:46

Hi all smile

Thought I must join this thread. I'm 23 weeks and just been given a tubigrip which I'm going to try. Also looking for a local osteopath that has experience of SPD (wish me luck!).

rainand Wed 30-Jan-13 12:04:40

philbee aw poor you, sounds awful. May I ask how you decided on which osteopath to see?

Countmyblessings Wed 30-Jan-13 12:41:04

Just been signed off from work as pain is awful!!! 34 weeks and can't wait for baby to come so this pain can go too!!!!

rainand Wed 30-Jan-13 20:47:01

Countmyblessings, very sorry to hear that but I hope you get a chance to get more rest.

Has anyone tried pilates after being diagnosed with SPD? I had a look at the exercises that the physio gave (a leaflet), and to be honest, I don't understand half of them! I think I need to attend a class or be shown how to do them ...

CityDweller Wed 30-Jan-13 21:40:39

Pilates is one of the few activities I can do that doesn't aggravate it, and I think it even helps (unlike yoga, which makes it worse). I'd say if you can find a preg pilates class near you it'd be worth trying.

rainand Thu 31-Jan-13 09:40:48

CityDeweller, thanks, I'm going to get started on Pilates!

I put tubigrip on for a couple of hours and gosh it is so uncomfy! Had to take it off for the night! DH tried it on and is much skinnier than I am, and said it was the most uncomfy thing ever and ran to the loo immediately . Is it just something I should give time to and will get used to?

3rdtimelucky73 Thu 31-Jan-13 16:17:43

Hi, just saying hello everyone.

25 weeks, suspected SPD as very sore and painful to stand, walk etc..

First physio appointment tomorrow through antenatal department.

Hoping it eases as have 111/12 weeks to get flat in some sort of state to bring a child into and really starting to panic....

dottypyjamas Fri 01-Feb-13 17:37:39

Hi everyone, I think I need to join you - terrible back and hip pain this last week, so bad I could (and have to admit I have) cry! Took a couple of days off but can't sit around for the next 4 months -am 23+2

Midwife has referred me for physio antenatal exercise class hopefully next week so am hopeful that'll help a bit, she said it may well be pgp and to take paracetamol... Meant to be going to London for a 30th birthday tomorrow which is a 3.5 hr drive but I don't think that's happening sad

How does everyone else cope?any tips? Feeling quite hopeless and that I probably need to man up!

OhGood Thu 16-May-13 11:52:43

Hello everyone, can I join you?

I am 33 weeks with no2 and over the last 3 weeks have gone from 'Hmmm, my hips have started to hurt a bit at night' to 'OK, I can't really walk'.

Scared myself a couple of nights ago as could not get out of bed, and so am not waiting for referral from midwife but going ahead and seeing a chiropracter today.

Going to read your advice links today.

Tea and sympathy all round, and patience to all those of you who have toddlers...

question about painkillers I am too scared to take paracetemol to help me sleep as the one time I did it was the time I couldn't get out of bed afterwards - had slept too deeply and clearly not felt the pain signals telling me to move around. Anyone else experience this?

Dolallytats Fri 17-May-13 16:30:47

I think I have SPD (can barely walk, feel like I've been kicked in the fanjo, sitting hurts, walking hurts, I get up the stairs like a 90 year old). I am seeing my midwife on Tues so will talk to her then, but my question is, how do you do the school run when you are finding it too difficult to walk? I am trying to persevere, but it's getting too much. I don't have family near, older daughter works, DH can do the morning, but can't do the afternoon and there really is no-one to ask.

I honestly have no idea what to do. I am 30+4 and if I thought we could sign on temporarily, I would ask DH to do it!! (desperate!!) Of course, this is not a real option because you get no money if you give up a job, but I have no idea how to deal with it.

Any suggestion??

OhGood Sun 19-May-13 09:30:56

dolally I am in the same boat. I had to crawl to the bathroom at 2am this morning.

How old are your DCs?

I don't know what to say - you must ask your midwife for a physio referral though apparently it takes ages. I am going to try and see a phsyio this week even if I have to pay for it because this is intolerable.

I am also going to get some crutches from somewhere so I am not crawling around my own house in the middle of the night.

I am just desperate for someone to talk to about this. It's so awful - I can't lift DD, and I miss her terribly, and I have so much to do to get the house in order, and I still have to bloody commute to bloody London twice more, and I am miserable. Don't want to keep banging on about it IRL either.

Dolallytats Sun 19-May-13 12:47:05

ohGood, it's horrible, isn't it? I've never had this before. My DC's are nearly 20 (she is so good at picking up my DS on her days off and comes with me to midwife appointments-not only can I barely walk, I am also agoraphobic!!) and my DS is 5. I'm not at the crawling stage, but am limping and walking very slowly at all times.

I am definitely talking to the midwife. Hopefully physio won't take too long, I just don't have the money= to pay. I hadn't thought of crutches, I wonder where to get some from? Maybe the midwife will have the answer.

Luckily I am a SAHM (mainly because of the agoraphobia, but hey ho!!), is there any way you can get signed off so you don't have to commute? You don't say how far along you are, so not sure what your option would be, work from home??

My flat looks like a pigsty, I try and tidy it as best I can, but I can't hoover, or wash floors very often because it hurts. DH is great and really doesn't care if I can't do it, but he works long hours so he can't do it either.

Like you, I don't want to bore people with it, but I'm moving and huffing and puffing like a 90 year old!! This is definitely my last baby!!

Hope you get some relief soon....I'm off to Google where I can get crutches!!

OhGood Tue 21-May-13 12:44:17

Hi dolally my physio referral has come through (relief as is vv expensive) for a couple of weeks time, so hope yours gets to you fast too.

I'm going to read the pelvic pain site someone recommended here - http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/ - apparently good info. Any luck with crutches?

Dolallytats Tue 21-May-13 13:09:35

OhGood, I saw my midwife this morning so hopefully it won't be too long. Sounds like the appt comes through quickly if yours is anything to go by!! I'm putting off buying crutches until I get the appt, I want to see what they can do first-although, if they are needed, Argos do them!! Who'd have thought, Argos sell pretty much anything!!

Good luck with your appointment.

OhGood Tue 04-Jun-13 17:57:21

Dolally I just dropped off the thread, sorry! half term and v busy keeping DD busy.

My news is that the chiro was really helpful after 2 sessions I can walk again pretty normally. It's still v sore in bed and I can't sleep.

Went to physio who was worse than useless. Gave me all the same info you get on every single website - keep your legs together while you get out the car, do your pelvic floor exercises FFS - didn't even examine me or check my range of movement. Total waste of time and NHS funding.

geeandfeesmum Fri 14-Jun-13 10:50:30

Midwife thinks I have SPD. I am 25 weeks and I am really struggling to walk. I can't lift one leg up at a time I have to physically pick it up with my hand.

MW said she will refer me to physio but it usually takes 6 weeks until I get an appointment. I feel like crutches would probably help but can't imagine having to wait 6 weeks before I can ask for them. Do you think I could ring the physio dept and ask for some earlier on?

OhGood Fri 14-Jun-13 22:20:26

gee this thread is a bit of a washout TBH, as not many people here and I am about to disappear and have baby. I would try and find somewhere else or start afresh.

Re the SPD in my experience you should shout as loud as you can and if you can afford it, pay for treatment yourself and earlier. Have a look at the Pelvic Pain website: http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/

especially http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/what-to-expect-from-treatment/treatment-what-to-expect.html

Don't get fobbed off with substandard treatment. You don't have to put up with it! And good luck, it's horrible and I really hope you get it sorted and soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now