Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Three is a magic number, yes it is......

(999 Posts)

Come and take shelter from the DC here, folks!

<offers tiffin, millionaire shortbread and other forbidden goodies>

flyingcloud Tue 26-Mar-13 09:09:51

Hi everyone,

Mous are you OK?

What upsets me is when I hear DD1 shouting at DD2, and I realise she gets it from me (I don't shout at DD2 except when she puts her fingers in the sockets and I am the other side of the room, or when she picks up the dogs' bowl and licks it when I am elbow deep in the sink with washing up, or when she climbs into the shower and starts trying to eat shampoo when I am on the loo... but I do sadly shout at DD1 a bit, although I am working on it and getting better.

Still having potty training issues here and also major meal time issues. If DD1 is remotely tired she just won't eat - she is a bad breakfast eater which means she struggles with her energy levels in the morning, gets tired before lunch, doesn't eat lunch (cries and gags at the first mouthful), then sleeps for a long time because she's tired.

on the other hand DD2 slept until 7am this morning - her energy levels were outstanding this morning due to sleeping so well!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 26-Mar-13 10:32:36

Just the usual won't bore you again. I think I have peri menopause too and we have a blizzard on top of it!

I do think about all of you and I am sorry for all your troubles.

SconesForTea Tue 26-Mar-13 11:14:46

SR sounds unfair your friend giving you a hard time. I'm sure the very last thing you want to do is decommission a CC. All these cuts sad I do wonder where it will all end. Will they cut the EYEE next? Our DC qualify next term, hurrah! And nursery are putting their prices up by 20p an hour too.

Mous ((hugs))

I have just bought three parenting books from Amazon on my credit card even though I have NO money and really should cut up the cc. It just seems an easy option when the coffers are bare.

Taking DD1 to nursery this morning was awful again. I was in a pretty good mood from Thursday last week through to yesterday. It seems there is a pretty strong correlation between nursery days (mon-weds) and my bad, bad moods. OTOH, if she were at home now, for instance, there is no way I would be at the laptop, ahem, getting through my to-do list.

Yesterday when I picked her up she told me proudly that she hadn't cried and I said how happy that made me and I did give her a sweet (is that bad? Positive reinforcement is the idea and it was just one smartie). I pick her up at midday and the other children eat their lunch bang on midday and I asked her if she would like to eat lunch at nursery, she said yes. (She will from next term when she gets EYEE.) So she can't dislike it that much, can she? So why do we have to go through this PERFORMANCE every time?

CP how was your meal out with DH? Hope you managed to go.

We have a very busy Easter weekend coming up with mainly seeing family - DH's, my dad, and my mum on three separate days (my parents are divorced so always see them separately). We are also due to spend Good Friday with friends with DC similar ages. I have told DH I am not going to come, will have that day to myself. He's not particularly happy about it but I know that if I don't snatch time to myself, it will never happen. I may stay away GF night due to train times and I already feel dreadful at leaving DD2. Am I being ridiculous. I feed her mornings, evenings and nap times so about 4 times a day. Maybe that's too much but I have no idea - literally NO idea - how to cut down. With DD1 my milk dried up because I was pregnant.

SconesForTea Tue 26-Mar-13 11:15:24

She does at least drink cows milk now.

ScienceRocks Tue 26-Mar-13 12:22:06

Scones, I was a useless BFer so have no wise advice on that one.

But... What do you do when you drop your Dd1 at nursery? If you don't already do it, a swift kiss and cuddle and telling her when you'll be back (before the others have lunch) should do it, then firmly hand her to a staff member and leave. Is she ok when you collect her? I wonder that this commotion is to do with her simply minding you leaving her and once she gets stuck in to whatever she is doing, she is fine. What do the staff tell you?

Mous, come back and talk to us!

ScienceRocks Tue 26-Mar-13 12:25:24

Flyingcloud, we have meal issues too. DD2 is hopeless at dinner time, it drives me mad! Now I am firm with her and she doesn't get yogurt or fruit unless she eats a decent portion of her first course. I used to ban her from watching a TV programme afterwards (this is the only time my two really get to watch TV at home) but this proved impossible to administer with Dd1 as well. I figure that it usually works out over the day/week/month food wise, so try not to worry too much (though I do).

What potty training issues are you having? Wees, poos?

Thanks for the enquiry Scones...I'm getting more sleep because I'm dosing myself several times a night with a combination of Ventolin and the cough medicine the GP prescribed. Seems to keep the worst of the coughing fits at bay. I don't tend to get much sleep after about 04.00 though because poor old DS gets increasingly bunged up and starts needing more cuddling/feeding from this point on. Ah well. At least DH is around so a siesta isn't out of the question if I get really knackered.

"Cabbage and sadness" made me smile too Bc - while feeling a lot of sympathy. Sorry your day out was so trying. Three year-olds can be a bloody PITA, eh?! Especially when poor old Mum is struggling with disrupted nights courtesy of the baby of the family....
<rubs weary eyes>

Aw...*Mous*....

Eating can be an issue with DD when she's tired, too. She didn't eat much at all at supper last night saying she was tired - actually, a lot of it was because she needed to do a poo <sigh>, although she also has a bit of a cold. We put her to be early, she coughed and writhed for a while, then when I went to check on her, I realised from the smell that she had filled her nappy, but typically was sound asleep. So we had to wake her up by changing her nappy, then she decided she was hungry so had a banana and a recharge story before going back to bed.

Which meant she was tired this morning, but I managed to fit a 1hr nap in before nursery. But when we got there, she decided she wanted to do her poo while I was there....but didn't after considerable faffing. I left her to it in the end (luckily they were making Easter nests, so that distracted her while I got away...). Honestly. Scones, they don't have to cry and create to have a drama at nursery, believe me..!! Good to hear your DD1 had a better day of it, though....

ClimbingPenguin Tue 26-Mar-13 21:02:16

Thankfully climbing got cancelled, I still haven't even started packing yet.

DS will feed with me around but also fine without me. He is on 2/3 feeds now we've cut out night feeds (normally morning and evening but he doesn't need to them so we have quite a flexible system). He will ask for a feed if we are out in a strange place or feeling a bit cranky. He doesn't have one before nap.

stoofadoof Tue 26-Mar-13 21:50:33

<quick wave> just in from the village hall committee meeting… honestly it was daggers drawn… grin but i'm v proud of myself - i volunteered for nowt more than i'm already doing (first time ever!)

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Thu 28-Mar-13 07:01:20

good on you stoof

FC scones how are you doing? thinking of you.

IC better?

The easter bunny went into a panic today realising that he didn't celebrated this sunday with england the girls will miss it this year as the orthodox one is in may (and we should be back in the UK by then).... Bunny also very annoyed that they don't do bags of chocolate eggs anymore so they can be hidden around the house... (at least not the one the bunny like to munch to spare the girls a chocolate overdose)

NK2b1f2 Fri 29-Mar-13 10:55:23

Mous Lots of small chocolate eggs (esp ones I like!) ready here to be hidden for the girls, although Easter egg hunt will probably be indoors this year due to SNOW (Argh). I don't get large Easter eggs at all, lots of small ones are much more fun.
Keeping my fingers crossed your plans are progressing well. I take it return to the UK is still on the cards?

Waving to everyone else. Very slow internet so mainly lurking.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 29-Mar-13 14:33:24

bear loves the pralines eggs now they are all creamy yuck or kinder surprises <yuck! envy <-sick bunny>

StoneBaby Fri 29-Mar-13 14:51:27

mous when I was a kid I used to love nougatine chocolate eggs. I don't like cream eggs neither

Dry but cold over here so DS is enjoying playing ourside (it's 4.5C)

StoneBaby Fri 29-Mar-13 14:51:49

Sorry outside

Much better, thanks Mous! My cough isn't bothering me so much overnight, which means my ribs are getting a chance to recover too. Shame DS has decided to fill his nappy before 05.00 the last couple of nights - then takes an age to go back to sleep (still bunged up from his cold)....there's always something..!!

Anyone got tips on how to put viscous eye drops into a reluctant baby's eyes? Getting them beyond his long eyelashes is almost impossible, given his struggling/blinking/screwing his eyes shut.... Silly thing is, once a drop is in, it doesn't bother him too much, but boy it's a hell of a fight to get it there........!! I've tried applying the drops while feeding him, distracting him, holding him down....none with really satisfactory results.....

Praline eggs....nyum nyum nyum smile

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 30-Mar-13 07:55:10

If I tell off DD2 she will scrunch her face <very sad face>, cry and repeat "me love mama" on a loop... confused
How do I deal with that? Can they do emotional manipulation so young? or if she really thinking I don't love her anymore if I tell her off?

Any wise idea?

ScienceRocks Sat 30-Mar-13 08:06:35

IC, eye drop tips here

Mous, that sounds tough sad

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 03-Apr-13 05:05:43

Oh no! the thread is broken! grin

StoneBaby Wed 03-Apr-13 09:26:58

I'm here!! I had a busy weekend with my mum over and a busy back to work yesterday.

How are you mous?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 03-Apr-13 11:17:35

So so, it is scary to go back without plans. Living in the middle of nowhere (a very wet nowhere) has never been on top of my priorities, trying my best not to let it show too much for DD1's sake.
Glad you problem got solve SB

StoneBaby Wed 03-Apr-13 13:23:36

<hugs>, wine, and thanks to you mous

stoofadoof Wed 03-Apr-13 20:28:00

<wave!>

NK2b1f2 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:11:56

Lurking. Can't touch type on a German keyboard. The z and y are reversed and there are extra letters (üöä)

StoneBaby Thu 04-Apr-13 11:46:11

NK got the same problem when using my mum laptop - it's a azerty keyboard and the number needs to be used as a capital letter!!!

rainbowweaver Fri 05-Apr-13 02:19:35

<waves> am currently being inspired by The Idle Parent here it's given me a carte Blanche to laze on the sofa....

Some more similar links here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_parenting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now