Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - Don't forget the tummy time

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Fri 25-Jan-13 09:47:12
Passmethecrisps Fri 25-Jan-13 17:46:39

It made me lol notso as I was in the middle of typing up a post about not getting the last post stolen and there it was! gone!

Passmethecrisps Fri 25-Jan-13 17:51:27

It's a funny thing isn't it leaving our LOs and the pressure we feel from people who think they are helping.

When P was about 3 weeks old my MIL came up to stay (lives 3 hours away) with the sole intention of us going out so she could babysit. It wasn't really about our needs or wants but about hers. We went for a curry and a pint in our local which was lovely but we were knackered and actually people the the pub were pretty [sceptical] to see us.

I have two friends who make constant references to babysitting - "when I babysit", "when you leave her with me". One of them sadly is the one who Penny was screaming at on Wednesday so she certainly won't be staying with her until we get the cause of that sorted.

tiger fingers x'd it works for you x

vq pls pls pls tell me how to sleep train Dottie to self settle - I have lots of books gf, 5s's and baby love but no bloody time to read them - is the miracle cure in any of them?? Dexter we watched season 7 ( the one after debs goes to the church) after dh illegally downloaded it - not sure if we still have it - will look and if so I'll see if I can share it somehow with you.

Had lunch with another work friend today - being able to let off steam about dh made me feel better - why are all dh/dp's to some extent useless?? Shoulda been a lesbian!!!! Anyhoos she's offered begged to have dots for the day next weds so I can have some time to myself - which is fab!!!!!

ValiumQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 17:55:54

pass sorry for your loss thanks

I also think a bumbo is the answer. You are welcome to borrow one off me to see if she likes it. I actually have two, and plan to eBay the other in the near future. I also have two trays.

I know I'm late to the tv chat but another massive West Wing fan here too! I heart Josh Lyman a lot bit more than is healthy. Does anyone fancy a Nov 12 rewatch of all 8 series together? We could have a separate thread, set ourselves 2 or 3 episodes a week to watch and perv over Josh discuss them together. New viewers welcome too!

I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my skirt, too sexy for the other things...

TheDetective Fri 25-Jan-13 18:10:18

'I love to booby
Yes I love to booby on a Saturday night
I said I love to booby, I love to booby
Clusterfeed booby, I love to boobie
I love to boobie (and keep you up) on a Saturday night'

My mind wanders to the above daftness. Frequently. blush

kissyfur Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:05

3 pages already!! My LO does not like tummy time one bit

TheDetective Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:18

Are we the most active ante/postnatal thread ever?! Surely we must come close!!

Passmethecrisps Fri 25-Jan-13 18:13:35

genius detective

thanks for the flowers VQ they will just make up for the whipper snapper knicking my glory!

And a loan of a bumbo would be champion! I was reading reviews online and people can be a bit mixed about them.

oh! poor wee P just woke herself up crying. Just as well it's bath time.

ValiumQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 18:13:56

glenda - leaving them to it. Shoving a tit in his gob at the first whimper was not helping him. Unless you want to be awake every 45 minutes (their sleep cycle) you need to allow them to learn. Swaddling IMO will not help as their hands are integral to self settling (unless they have a dummy, which I have no experience of) and until a certain age they will just get more angry cos they thump themselves and scratch themselves in their attempts. They will not be able to self settle in the cluster feeding evenings either as they are programmed to not settle.

They need to be put down in a sleepy, but not asleep state. Feeding will result in sleep, but a good winding etc will wake them sufficiently to achieve this. Initially they will cry, and if they need you (hungry, wet, wind etc) it will ramp up. If it is just annoyance, they will have periods of silence before they start again. Most babies will cry for less than five minutes, and this will lessen as they get used to it. If they are overtired they can go on for a long time as they are so pissed off. They will eventually burn themselves out.

I think this is GF type thinking, but I have read that many books I cannot recall exactly. J has learned how to suck his thumb and/or finger this last week, and assumes the position as soon as he is put in his cot or pram. I only use Ewan in the cot as I do not want to have to drag it everywhere in the future.

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Fri 25-Jan-13 18:18:35

Marking my spot. Also excited as one of my best friends is in labour

TheDetective Fri 25-Jan-13 18:23:43

I have never read a parenting book blush.

I've read mumsnet though. Does that count?!

ValiumQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 18:32:51

Have you not read the Mumsnet books?

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Fri 25-Jan-13 18:34:12

misslaughalot I have actually managed to watch series 1-5 doing night feeds since DS was born I havent watched an episode for a few weeks now. And is there a series 8?! grin And Josh, mmmmm.

Fingers crossed for a better night with toddler DD after last night's shennanigans.

Brockle Fri 25-Jan-13 18:36:10

can I join a west wing watching group pls. It was a sad day when Sam seaborn left the west wing grin Yousef is not a happy bunny today. think his sniffles are getting him downsad

I have joined the 50 book challenge thread in the book club forum. Think I may be setting myself up for failure but enjoy.hearing what others are reading.

zcos Fri 25-Jan-13 18:38:29

vq was not thinking I could avoid cluster feed but maybe reduce to like 3 hours of almost none stop eating instead of 5 or 6! and reduce ... mm1s lo is being better why not mine!

zcos Fri 25-Jan-13 18:40:24

oh and m d will be 8 weeks in a few days surely supply has built up by now!

Little DT1 guzzled an enormous 8oz bottle just before bedtime! The most she has had before is 5oz in one go. They both passed out as soon as I put them into their cots as they didn't have their big 2.5 hour afternoon sleep.

I went out when them to baby clinic and did the food shopping on my own! I am most pleased with myself! It wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be. Real boost for my confidence. Hard work getting 2 babies in & out the car & pushchair. I was exhausted when I got home.

PurplePidjin Fri 25-Jan-13 18:43:08

The problem is i already leave him to go to youth club for 4 hours - in my mind, that's work and he can't come. Maybe I'm bemused as to why she'd come all that way and not see her grandson? From the sounds of it dp isn't keen on lunch out either, but that's worse because then I'll have to make the house safe for dn who has autism - which is even more stressful (the tidying, not dn!)

Detective me either. Nope, not even the mn ones too skint to buy luxuries like that

Don madame that's my clumsy typing fingers while feeding, should have been 7 not 8!

Have all of you West Wing fans seen the little reunion they did last year?

BigPigLittlePig Fri 25-Jan-13 19:03:26

Still no poo sad
Lots of smells but no poo.

She's saving the poonami(s) for tomorrow when I'm going on the train for a day out with old school friends, isn't she?

ValiumQueen Fri 25-Jan-13 19:10:38

Well done garden do you put them in the leaning back seats on the trolley? DS kicked off last time I tried him in one. That was Christmas Eve though.

YellowWellies Fri 25-Jan-13 19:13:23

Phew made it... caught up and marking place! <collapses in exhausted heap>

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Fri 25-Jan-13 19:15:56

J is asleep....very strange has he has been for quite some time. He doesn't sleep during the day, except I suppose this is night now?! Weird.

DH has gone to collect pizza....yum!

VQ, no, this time I used the pushchair as it wasn't a big shop. Normally I put them in the leaning back twin seats. They haven't complained before. My girls are madams and like to see everything that is going on.

Receptionist came to the car to give me a hand at baby clinic as you can't take your pushchair in. She held one while I was busy with the other and both girls curled their lips up and howled when anyone else held them! It was very unexpected as I thought they were too small to realise it wasn't me.

This thread is not accepting new messages.