Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

December 2012 - so, do we all know what we're doing yet?

(994 Posts)
MaMaPo Sun 20-Jan-13 04:56:17

smile

Clarella Sat 26-Jan-13 21:30:32

WL and spotty - a postnatal physio said a nip of brandy for mum can work wonders for a VERY fussy baby in extreme circumstances!

S

Someoe told me today that once they start teething the only way to get through (if your bf) is to have a drink each evening!

Clarella Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:52

I'm considering vodka here.. hmm

Clarella Sat 26-Jan-13 21:53:29

seymore the info on the laleche website is fab - I've also joined the local Lll fb group and already can see they will be a huge help. I'd been asking the hv loads about it but they 'reassured' me it would.nt be me, he's just colicky' angry my let down was drowning him sometimes.

I had over supply in first couple of wks and block fed over 2 hours but extended to 3-4 today and have seen less fussing and wind already. hope it works for you!

Clarella Sat 26-Jan-13 21:55:27

re breast pads - I had been getting through 3 or 4 on each breast every day soaked .....

MaMaPo Sat 26-Jan-13 21:57:13

Oh Brooke, I was hungover this morning too! Only had 3 drinks but one of them was whisky for Burns' night. The breastfeeding dehydration really magnifies the effects.

Utopian, the Medela Calma teat only works as fast/efficiently as baby sucks, as far as I know. If you hold it upside down nothing should come out - baby needs to 'extract' the milk just as they do at the breast. So I guess that probably varies by baby, and also by age.

Mmm... Amaretto here please...

Clarella Sat 26-Jan-13 22:02:15

sorry ispy didn't see your post - it's mainly been the ordeal we have sometimes when bf. esp in mornings and then the wind. basically the let down is too strong and also theres too much foremilk being drunk leading to gassiness etc. my breasts ate less engorged now but still seem to blast it out. have a look on the la leche league website for info.

I had a lovely white wine spritzer this evening and felt a nice warm glow smile we were out for dinner with my in laws and Ethan was so well behaved! So proud of the little dude!

Sorry ds has been hard work today spotty tomorrow is a new day. <hugs>

Sorry today has been tough for some of you. After our hideous day yesterday we had a rough night and morning but better this afternoon. Hugs to those who need/want them

ISpyPlumPie Sat 26-Jan-13 22:39:42

Hmmm, def sounds like I'm a bit leakier than some of you and we do have issues with wind. He can be a bit fussy at times too and the let down has on occasion seemed a bit fast (milk shooting out causing him to pull away). Will def look at the LLL website and try and speak to someone next time we go to bf group. Thanks.

utopian99 Sat 26-Jan-13 23:14:45

Having read the let down discussion I might ask at the baby clinic on Monday..

O has worked a sort of rhythm to himself, based on sprightly early morning, major feed around 10am, middle morning to afternoon kip with some feeding, biggish early aft feed, wide awake early evening with small feeds and fussiness lasting till 9ish normally, then asleep on us which can often be semi-successfully transferred to his hammock for proper sleep till night routine of feeds 1.30, 4, 6, 8 and start again!

Dh held him while I slept this evening (the whole way through Rambo I'm told! [bgrin])
Not huge success with our first stab at bottle feed though. Using the Calma teat which he seemed to work out how to suck, but only got 10ml in 10minutes. Hmm - will persevere for now or we have tommy tippee teats to try.. <takes a bow for alliterative content this late at night>

Baby is sleeping. DH is sleeping. In exhausted yet wide awake angry

zcos Sat 26-Jan-13 23:24:25

spotty drink the champers! I had a couple of glasses with my sis a few weeks back...(in 1950s style plates v glam) my sister gave d some expressed milk.so there was a long gap between feeds and I could really chill... I am having a small drink quite often... have a sherry glass of wine with meal or a half an with some crisps feels like such a.luxury. we all need those moments now more than ever!

zcos Sat 26-Jan-13 23:26:54

honey you still up when d and dh are sleeping and I can't I put her turtle sounds of the sea on...its not just for babies!! I lie there imagining I'm on a beach in.Greece!

I'm shock Ethan has slept from 10.30 to now. As he'd been so good this evening I assumed he'd be a pain tonight. But he's my star smile he appears to have finished eating in 10minutes too. Back to sleep soon.

I hope lack of convo tonight means others are getting sleep too. smile

halesball Sun 27-Jan-13 02:16:21

Glad Ethans being good. Heidi has just woke up from 10:30, she looks like shes going to have a good sleep again after this feed smile, but she only had three 15 minute naps the whole of yesterday. But was a really happy laid back baby the whole day smile

I hope the quiet thread means everyone is getting a good sleep as well smile

halesball Sun 27-Jan-13 03:49:34

Apparently i am very naive still, thinking H was going to go to sleep she has been on and off my breast since my last post.

MaMaPo Sun 27-Jan-13 03:51:53

I hope so too Hales! I went to bed at 10, was woken briefly at 12.30 by my husband changing a minor poosplosion, and just got up now to feed
C. All feels quite luxurious.

<whispers to babies> stay asleep, little guys!

utopian99 Sun 27-Jan-13 03:59:10

Ha, I'm up. Spoke too soon of rhythms as have been up since 3.

Have been on the mini pill since last weekend, does anyone know what impact it has on periods returning? Stopped bleeding last weekend too, but it's now back, plus today I've been getting really PMT ish. Am really pissed off with O every time he's sick on me yet again, which is a. No different to what he's been doing from day 1, and b. Not his fault, but it's making be really really angry and sweary. Is this pill related

zcos Sun 27-Jan-13 04:06:44

my d has been weird all day wondering if its the start of 8 week growth spurt? sad still not sure if wonderweeks is at all correct though... d didn't sleep from 8 am yest until 5pm (after only sleeping at 1.30am being up since 5pm previous night) hope this makes sense ... she went down 11.30am fairly easily but thought it may be too good to be true up again 3am hope others are fairing better I'm not hoping for a strict routine just want a rough idea of when I too can nap or do things.

halesball Sun 27-Jan-13 04:09:13

It maybe Utopian, especially if the pills the only thing thats changed. Maybe see your GP on monday they'll be able to prescribe an alternative.

utopian I tried the minipill when I was 3 weeks postpartum. I hated it, bleeding stopped for a day or 2 then came back heavier than it had been. I stopped it after a week as it was horrible and apparently the bleeding can be totally random on it and periods are likely to be really irregular. Sorry sad

Well ds fussed/cried/fed continually for six hours last night then only did his usual maximum of 3 1/2 hours then 3. Which is fine I can cope with that. Can't see him ever going ever longer though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now