Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - the Christmas buns are coming out of the oven

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 23-Dec-12 17:18:23

New fred...

Afrodizzywonders Sun 23-Dec-12 22:22:36

Hi leo, I had a week of tears panicking how i'd cope with a newborn and toddler! Thankfully that has passed, things have settled and feeling really happy now, its just really daunting isn't it. DP, myself and the childn went out today and it was challenging, DS walks everywhere, i had DD in a sling....hiw will i manage the two on my own was all I could think.

CODwidow Sun 23-Dec-12 22:36:11

Just marking my place grin

ellliebelle Sun 23-Dec-12 23:03:53

leo oliver was born on thursday morning and i have been very teary today sad going ti upload a pic of him now smile after 2 dd's i still cant believe i have a son

Secondsop Sun 23-Dec-12 23:07:34

Oh huge congratulations elllie!

brooke89 Sun 23-Dec-12 23:19:58

Welcome leo and ellie and congrats on LOs

I have a question re breastfeeding - my boobs have never got hard since my milk came in and I thought they were supposed to get hard every now and then when milk was being produced? In the day Isla feeds roughly every 2 hours but from 7 she is constantly on the boob... She's just been on me for over 2 hours and I had to take her off cause my nipples were hurting so I gave her 3oz of formula (After failed attempt at expressing) and she's guzzled it down?? If she was getting milk from me for the 2 hours she was on how could she possibly be hungry? I'm worried I'm not producing enough, mw said today she's only put on 30g since Wednesday? Is that normal weight gain, I thought it didn't seem much?

ellliebelle Sun 23-Dec-12 23:29:51

brooke not sure on the weight gain side of things but i know babies can cluster feed on an evening as a way of increasing supply.

Just added myself to stats and i have the biggest baby so far smile i think im still in shock from the dramatic birth which is part of tbe reason ive been so teary today but just managed to feed o on both sides and pop himnin moses basket so hoping for some sleep now smile also got bed to myself as poor dh has had to go to asda to do our xmas food shop which was supposed to be delivered yestetday but never arrived sad

Hope everyone has a good night im sure ill be back soon up nursing

soandsosmum Sun 23-Dec-12 23:40:55

Hiya
My dd has been cluster feeding tonight. My boobs never get v hard Brooke. Weight gain wise it depends how old the baby is and what your HV is like. Mine hadn't regained birth weight at 12 days but HV wasn't worried. She said to give it another week. I've a friend who was put under a lot of pressure to give formula top up as baby hadn't regained birth weight by 2 wks sad

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sun 23-Dec-12 23:44:54

Congratulations Ellie

Congratulations Ellie welcome Leo grin
I have not had my boob free for more than 5 mins since tea time, this is ridiculous. I am losing the will to live she's been cluster feeding all day and she's not really slept.

I don't know much about weight gain etc, you could well be producing enough milk, my boobs haven't been hard since this feeding upped. Still having wet/dirty nappies so I'm telling myself she must be feeding from it. Can you hear swallowing?

Am wondering whether or not she's just greedy.. Regained birth weight by day 7...

brooke89 Mon 24-Dec-12 00:16:03

Maybe I'm just being paranoid then, I wish a note popped out after a feed saying how much milk she'd just had haha I think I'm just overly worrying about quantities!

Just on my way to tescos to do Christmas food shop! DP thinks I'm mad but seeings as I have a nocturnal baby it makes perfect sense wink

Tonight DH took Ethan as I was knackered and he was still awake. God I needed it! Up and feeding now.

pmgkt Mon 24-Dec-12 04:09:27

Hi. My boobs hurt!

Felix still had 5oz to gain to reach his birth weight at 2wks, formula was mentioned once at his 5day weigh in, but only as a last resort. We have another weigh in booked at 3wks and realistically he should have gained that 5oz by then. Don't let it panic you Brooke, if they are concerned they will discus a feeding plan with you (Felix was fed 3hourly round the clock with ebm top ups)

First night I haven't set my alarm for feeds and he slept from 23.00 until 03.55, lovely stretch of sleep!

spicegirl13 Mon 24-Dec-12 04:36:57

DD2 born at 9.39pm last night, been feeding constantly since then! Not sure if my boobs are actually even producing anything yet?! confused

Bellaboo123 Mon 24-Dec-12 04:47:13

Congrats Ellie and Spice!!!

Brooke we had a similar evening and in the end I face Aurelia 3oz of formula top up she then slept from 1145 to 4...bliss...I feel like a new woman! While she was breast feeding I actually checked that milk was still coming out and it was - we have hungry babies!

Bellaboo123 Mon 24-Dec-12 04:47:35

Gave not face!!!

Afrodizzywonders Mon 24-Dec-12 04:50:10

The constant feeding is the bubs increasing your milklsupply, just go with it. I breastfed my DS for 2 years exclusively, believe me, the constant feeding in the early days is normal, if you had no milk the baby would be getting. Dry annoyed!

Clarella Mon 24-Dec-12 05:57:23

congratulations Ellie and spice!

although not 'nice' to hear everyone having same 'baby suddenly Mr grumpy pants and permanently attached to boob/ boob only thing that stops crying ' its reassuring!

I was told soft boobs have more of the hind milk in them so have settled in sync with baby's needs - then they'll cluster feed to stimulate supply when they need more. you could always express a little in the mornings to stimulate further and freeze it. I keep thinking I should do this to get some in the freezer in case I'm ever poorly and dh needs to do top ups? expressed bottles at mo appear to be totally pointless - he ends up screaming for a feed straight after! Im feeling there's a lot of attachment stuff going on at the moment.

do the crazy random sadness of baby blues go after day 10? I seem much better in the last couple of days, plus my section scar seems less sore and my core muscles feel slightly stronger - enough to sit up ok from lying down so might be that?

WeeJo08 Mon 24-Dec-12 06:14:45

Happy Christmas Eve everyone! Hope you're all not as disorganised as me?! Doesn't help that it's absolutely pouring today either! confused

We tried a new bedtime routine last night & I think it worked better. Instead of her staying in the living room with us up until her midnight feed, we put her down in the bedroom after her 9:30 one (finished just after 10). She slept until about 1am, got fed then, then she woke again at 2 but went down after until just after 5am. Think it worked quite well...but this could obviously all change!!

Congratulations & welcome to the new babies! grin

itsallinmyhead Mon 24-Dec-12 06:18:18

Hi all, just found this thread.

Been up all night with snuffly Jude, who is 19 days old. Poor little man is poorly and wants to just lie on me, hence me being awake all night.

Bellaboo123 Mon 24-Dec-12 08:07:57

Welcome itsallinmyhead hope Jude gets better soon!

Weejo we've been doing something similar...HV suggested leaving Moses in bedroom and when she sleeps put her in her basket upstairs in bedroom, it does seen to work a bit better...for now - I've probably gone and jinxed it lol!

Happy Christmas Eve...can't believe it's Christmas...rushes off in panic...

yuletopian99 Mon 24-Dec-12 08:17:29

Hi
Just marking place for when i get to join you (i hope!! - seems like it'll never happen sometimes!)

Argh I have so much to do today and I'm soooo tired!

MaMaPo Mon 24-Dec-12 09:20:25

Here you all are! I got briefly lost. And welcome to all the new arrivals.

Went out yesterday for very spicy lunch (Sichuanese food) and maybe it's my imagination but Little C seems to be a bit more fidgety and stretchy, trying to fart/poo. Hoping very much it's not the influence of chili in my milk. She looks so uncomfortable, poor wee thing!

Off to make her a proper person this morning! She's going to have 5 names - first name, middle name, and then 3 family names (will only use the last one on day to day basis). Seems quite a lot for such a small person.

RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Mon 24-Dec-12 09:30:43

Hi all, hope everyone's doing well. Not sure if I'll have time to follow this thread judging by how things are going so far, though it would be nice. But I just wanted to let you know, we had a beautiful baby girl on Thursday night, 9lb 4oz, very fast delivery following the induction! Tired but doing well.

This thread is not accepting new messages.