Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - the Christmas buns are coming out of the oven

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sun 23-Dec-12 17:18:23

New fred...

pmgkt Fri 28-Dec-12 09:41:08

Thinking if you pidj.

Quick question about feeding. Edward is a week old, and during the day he feeds every 2 1/2 - 3 hours. At night he is happy to go longer. Last night I fed at 8, 11.30 3.30 and then had to wake him at 830. He has a good feed each time, rather than just falling back to sleep, and I have already started offering the second side which he then takes a good feed from too. I shouldn't complain about nice sleeps at night but is this ok? It is ds2 and I never set alarms or anything for ds1 but he was 2lb heavier at birth so never felt as delicate.

Bellaboo123 Fri 28-Dec-12 09:43:49

That sounds like bliss pmgkt grin as long as he's not going longer than 5 hours I think you're doing great!

Sounds fine to me too smile

pmgkt Fri 28-Dec-12 09:57:55

Cool, thanks for the replies. He is feeding again already so only an hour later than last feed, so making up for my lie in! I just remember hospital saying 3 hours but I assume that is before milk comes in.

Ds was 7lb13 and the nurses in SCBU said five hours

pmgkt Fri 28-Dec-12 10:40:59

Well if a scbu baby is 5 hours its not going to be more for Edward. Thanks spotty. I've not been keeping up with reading over the past couple of weeks, how are you and your Lo

Afrodizzywonders Fri 28-Dec-12 11:07:03

Pidg, hope everything is ok thanks

Afrodizzywonders Fri 28-Dec-12 11:08:28

Pmgkt, providing your babber has no jaundice making them sleepy then I'd say go with it!

We are good thanks smile he likes to cry and now prefers my finger to his dummy hmm hoping to settle into some kind of routine after Christmas! Have to get him weighed on Monday so fingers crossed he's putting on weight!

Afrodizzywonders Fri 28-Dec-12 13:16:36

Health visitor just weighed Kitty who is 3 weeks today and she gained 1lb in 1 week!!! She's been packing the weight on, the 2-3 hourly feeds are paying off, hopefully they will ease off soon though.....

Thinking of you Pidj

Felix has finally passed his birth weight, after dropping from 7lb13oz to 6lb13oz (12%) he is now 8lb2oz! I'm so proud of him, makes these endless feeds and painful nipples all worth it!

WillYuleDoTheFandango Fri 28-Dec-12 13:55:06

Spotty Jamie much prefers my finger to a dummy. Very strange. He's also started rooting for my nipples now that my milk has started to dry up. confused He still can't latch though and gets very upset when I try.

Clarella Fri 28-Dec-12 15:09:42

hope all Is well pidj thinking of you and your family.

pmg sounds all good to me! I was advised to keep with same boob if he demanded within 2 hours in order to get more of hind milk and that has worked well when he's gone through a cluster.as George was so little I didn't let it go past 3 hours at night till this week (he's 3 weeks on Monday) but now allow 4 only at night which he occasionally does (not last night mind!!)
if you're demand feeding Edward will dictate when he wants/ needs more as this one did last night

those frequent feeds and sore nipples do pay off - proud mum again - from 5lb 2oz at birth, he was weighed today (18 days) and he's a grand 6lb 15 oz! one ounce off 7 lb!!! he can go in dh s sling! hooray!

Weissdorn Fri 28-Dec-12 16:17:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Welcome weissdorm have you got a sling? That used to be the only way to get ds1 quiet when he had colic. He had reflux too thoughso I'm not sure what was attributed to what illness. Hopefully others will have some ideas for you. Oh and congratulations!

Hi Weis have you thought about baby massage? Agree with Stacey about a sling too. I feel for you with the colic it must be awful. Congratulations smile

Weissdorn Fri 28-Dec-12 17:20:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WockComble Fri 28-Dec-12 17:22:23

Hello everyone and congrats on your babies. I had one too (DS2) on the 16th Dec - can I join please?

Brief info: Zacharias (*Seconds*, looks like we have the same taste in names!) was born just before lunchtime on Sun 16 Dec weighing 6 pounds. Felt first twinges of contractions at around 9.30am and he arrived super-speedily 2hrs 6 mins later (men's marathon world record time!). Had been planning an epidural but all I got was 2 paracetamol! He's only a tiny scrap but loves his feeding - he'd put on 4oz in as many days! Am co-sleeping with him which has resulted in much more sleep at this stage than I was getting with DS1 nearly 3 years ago. Plan to move him to his moses basket at some stage but it's working for now, especially as I can sleep in a different room - and on a different floor - from DH and DS1, meaning DH can tend to DS1 and neither DC disturbs the other. Not great for cuddles with DH, though.

Feeling pretty good nearly 2 weeks after the birth but DS1 has a cold (again) and is being a right pain in the ass. Mildly terrified at the prospect of looking after both DCs when DH goes back to work next week. ALthough I have nursery and my mum on hand to help out most of the time so I'm v lucky.

Nice to e-meet you all! x

Welcome Wock another fast labour!

It's very windy here tonight and wet confused ds is apparently cluster feeding tonight whilst dd isn't going to bed well because of a cough and cold hmm oh and dp is going out sad

weiss baby massage can work wonders, my ds changed over night after I learnt it, some hvs run classes but I'm sure you can get books or watch vids on youtube.

Secondsop Fri 28-Dec-12 20:28:54

Welcome wock great taste in names! Another fast labour too - mine was similar after an induction although I at least got some pethadine.

I'm co-sleeping with my little Z too. I'm happy now that we've found a way to do it that works for us. It certainly beats spending half the night trying to settle him in his carrycot.

Secondsop Fri 28-Dec-12 20:34:37

Oh and welcome weiss. I know what you mean about the crying all the time - took me a good 2 weeks plus to get over that.

yuletopian99 Fri 28-Dec-12 20:52:12

I'm still in hospital and dh has just been sent home again. sad All is fine with Oz apart from they can't prove for definite that he's weed, so won't discharge me, but he's feeding really well and no signs of dehydration. Was really hoping we could all go home as a family this evening.

On the plus side both sets of grandparents came to visit this afternoon and are very happy, and dh and I are besotted! grin

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Fri 28-Dec-12 21:21:04

Hello newbies, congrats thanks

SIL showed us a brilliant way for winding where you sit him on your lap sideways on and bend him back and forth. I also find the flat-along-the-forearm position very good. Alternate patting and rubbing.

Dp was in fine form this evening, watching tv in the day room. He's already strong enough to lift and carry R (although he had the nurses in a flap over the last one!) We've got quite a flock of admirers on the ward, apparently, and one hca wants BIL's phone number grin

Bellaboo123 Fri 28-Dec-12 21:33:12

That's great news pidj!

Fx you get home tomorrow yuletopian!

Well I have a very grisly lady on my hands tonight grrrrrrr non stop feeding and crying argh! Although as I write this she's finally fallen asleep!

Did the new davina DVD tonight got a feeling I'm going to ache tomorrow!

This thread is not accepting new messages.