Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

ScienceRocks Mon 04-Feb-13 18:20:03

Oh no, I've killed the thread hmm

StoneBaby Mon 04-Feb-13 18:35:17

No you haven't... I'm here!! grin

Great to hear from you SR!! So pleased things have taken a turn for the better, you sound very upbeat, good for you!

That story is horrific, SC.....shock

That's a lot of crying to contend with CP - sounds like your DS is a "stress increaser" which is very hard to work with. Good news on the cot settling, though.

Survival bah to the asthma. Hope you're feeling better now.

DD's first full session at nursery today - apparently she had a "rocky start" (some altercation with another child), but staff realised she was moping in the hallway, sussed out why and gee'd her up. She was very tired and at one point almost fell asleep at a table - then happily had a lie down on one of the mat-beds with a blanket, although she mainly chatted to one of the staff and didn't actually sleep. She was pretty cheerful when we picked her up. Mind you, she's been a bit odd these last few days - very tired, not much appetite and in a strange mood. I suspect she's either coming down with something or fighting something off. We've all had a cold, which has been a bit wearing.
I was getting thoroughly riled by her, though - I think it's just as well it was a nursery day. I don't like how impatient and cross I get with DD at times but boy, is she an expert at pushing my buttons...!!

ClimbingPenguin Mon 04-Feb-13 19:34:31

am off climbing smile

nap and night time in cot today (still took an hour but more happy tonight). I think the trick is taking him up a bit earlier while he gets used to it.

Science great to have you back. It's funny that once we decide to do something it is possible and the time appears. I think you diary sounds great and it spurred me to start one at lunchtime. On the bad days it's so easy to forget that even just a few days ago things were going well.

ClimbingPenguin Mon 04-Feb-13 22:32:48

I did my first 6c (top rope)!

StoneBaby Tue 05-Feb-13 13:05:41

That sounds impressive CP (even if I have to admit I don't know what you're talking about blush [ grin] )

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 05-Feb-13 16:08:24

CP impressive (is it only 2 off the highest grade?)

DH had backache and asked the DDs to step on him (hmm as you do!), he feels better so asked DD1 to do it to me hmm. She refused! on the ground on "what would we do if mama breaks?", DH "what would we do if I break?" DD1 "mama will know what to do!" grin DH is laughing at it too, and hasn't deny.

Bearcrumble Tue 05-Feb-13 16:10:00

I've got a cold, suddenly red sore nipples and dh working til 7. Have cried a couple of times today. At least dd napped for an hour. Started sleep training yesterday. Lay on bed next to cot shushing and occasional pupd and she went off in forty mins. first two wakings i managed to stroke/shush her back to sleep quickly. Then half eleven fully awake and i bought her in for a feed then dozed off myself for an hour or so. Put back in cot, an hour of crying then slept til 4 ish then back in with me til half 7.

Bearcrumble Tue 05-Feb-13 16:14:43

I guess it's a start. V upset about sudden sore/raw nipples. I have a real tendency to catastrophise and keep thinking this will spell the end of bfing forever. Feel like that's the only bit of being a mum that I've been successful at. HV said to see gp. Will try tomorrow and will pop to breastfeeding cafe which is on in the afternoon to see what they say as well.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 05-Feb-13 17:36:57

Bc <hugs> if you have a cold your immune system might be down and it is easier to get thrush go to your GP it can be simple to fix. I am sue your are a good mum too. It is hard to have a velcro baby and a toddler, be kind to yourself.

StoneBaby Tue 05-Feb-13 19:41:05

Dinner date tonight....

ClimbingPenguin Tue 05-Feb-13 20:21:55

I think there are a fair few grades to go yet grin

I think that's pretty good bc FWIW I see going off to sleep and dealing with night wakings as different things, especially post midnight ones.

I also do that when things go a bit wrong, it's so easy to panic with bf, too many other emotions and stuff tied up with it.

SocietyClowns Tue 05-Feb-13 21:20:44

Feeling very proud and a little emotional about dd2's first day at her new school nursery. She had a wonderful day and came out with a big smile. They told me there were a few tears late morning when she felt a little lost, but other than that she really enjoyed herself. She even made a friend and chatted away and played with another girl. She did a full day 9 to 3 and was a bit hyper once home and very chatty, giving me a pretty full account of what she did and what she had for lunch. Quite different to dd1 who still 'can't remember' what she did all day wink.

Bearcrumble Tue 05-Feb-13 22:01:37

That's great, SC - what a little star. Very brave.

Thanks, CP - it was actually better than I expected it would be. The 40 mins and the hour of crying were hard but I felt better for the fact that I was there and not out of the room (although I know some babies fall asleep better if left - so not judging others). Well done on the climbing.

SR Hello <waves> Glad you are fitting in time to do stuff for yourself It's so important and so not selfish because it refuels you for family/kids stuff.

SB Good luck with your dinner date! wink

Wanted to say in general thanks so much to all of you - I seem to lurch from crisis to crisis (real or invented) at the moment and I come on here and let it all out and you are invariably sensible, sensitive and helpful. I know I post more about me-me-me stuff than in support to others and I hope and aim for that to change soon. x

Oh - I had a 'duh' moment re jigsaws - DS loves them and DD loves eating them and it was extremely stressful trying to keep them separate. We always did them on the floor but if we do them at the kitchen table she can stay in the high chair and have a snack and I might get 10 mins before she yells which is enough time usually for me and him to complete one. Seems so bloody obvious now.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Tue 05-Feb-13 22:33:54

Go SB! Go SB! wink wink

BC I read SR's post about moaning too much on here and went very blush. I love the fact that we all have our doubts and difficulties at different times which means that some of us are usually available to support each other in their time(s!!) of need. I can't tell you all how much I have valued your support in the last three and a half years. I find it really difficult to do anything other than smile and say everything is fine to anyone in real life except DH, so it really means sooo much to me.

SR I am so pleased for you that you are feeling good and particularly that DH is listening more. Long may it last (and long may your fab social life and general joie de vivre last too!)

SC Glad to hear DD2 is in a much better place.

IC it sounds like DD did well too. It's a big shock for them I think if they haven't left much before so it sounds likes she's coping really well.

BC well done on the move towards sleep training. It sounds like a very positive start. I hope the GP can help to sort out the sore nipples. Cold + lack of sleep + sore nipples = tears. Makes perfect sense to me. Be kind to yourself and be a 'good enough mummy' while you recover, rather than the 'best mummy in the world' to which we all aspire.

CP DH actually giggled in awe when I said you had done a 6C. I think he is sending you much respect.

I tested my cat/asthma theory at a colleague's house yesterday and it seemed to confirm it. It won't be much of a problem for me really, until the boys are desperate for cats. I had vertigo when I got up yesterday morning and then splattered black shoe polish all over the floor, all before 8a.m. Luckily, the day improved thereafter! Today has been stressful but I'm not averse to work stress. In fact, I'm feeling quite positive this week. DS2 went to nursery dressed in full firefighter get-up today and that put a smile on my face. Apparently, it made the other children flock round him and he played well with a little boy - a much better report than in recent weeks. Still waiting for info before having our decision-making session.

<sends one more 'Go SB!' to the Channel Islands for the night>

Bearcrumble Wed 06-Feb-13 09:53:42

Well it is thrush but doc has given me the wrong prescription now I have checked what's the best thing to use (he gave canesten hc for me and nystatin for baby). Just going to but Daktarin cream and oral gel over the counter as cannot face another trip.

Yay to the sleep training Bc! Stick with it, it'll get easier if you're consistent. DS actually got himself to sleep at first nap today without me staying with him - then slept for almost 2.5 hrs shock He's sleeping off his cold I think, as he fell asleep in the car only about an hour later and is still asleep now...
Glad you can sort out the sore nips, useful that there is a proper medical reason. Maybe I should get mine checked, my left has been sore for a couple of weeks now - I thought it was just because DS had changed his latch... <muses>

Yay to the successful start at the new nursery, SC!!

Nursery disaster for DD yesterday. I think she's been more knocked for six by her cold than I'd appreciated because she's been very tired. Also, she was on Day Two No Poo, despite LOADS of Movicol. So 40 mins after I dropped her off (we parted company with her pretty chipper) I was summoned back because DD was clearly in discomfort and asking for me. Now she doesn't want to go back. <sigh>
I'm going to suggest I go along with her again on Friday and we sort of re-settle her in so she can build up the positive associations again....

Bearcrumble Wed 06-Feb-13 14:23:40

How was last night, SB? Hope it went well.

IC, poor dd. Sounds tricky for both of you. The nursery sounds like a good one and I'm sure they will work with you on settling.

Am using the thrush treatment as an opportunity to help me stop feeding to sleep as I have to apply the cream after every feed and then leave at least 2 hours til next feed. So I fed her at 12 snd managed to get her down for a nap at 2 purely by shush patting! There was only ten mins between putting her down and her snoring. And she had a pram nap this morning which usually means she won't sleep again all day. I hope I am not jinxing myself by talking about it!

Bearcrumble Wed 06-Feb-13 14:30:47

Also Survival - I think you have it tougher than most considering the health issues, lack of sleep and work problems that you've had to deal with. You do seem very cheerful and together and you impress me so much with your ability to stay so calm and level headed. [sucking up emoticon].

Bearcrumble Wed 06-Feb-13 16:03:18

So... DS was very interested when we went to the GPs this morning. I said to one of the workers at Nursery when I dropped him off that if he started talking about mummy at the doctors to shut him up. She wasn't quick enough, he told his (male) keyworker all about mummy's nipples and the special cream. blush

StoneBaby Wed 06-Feb-13 17:40:00

bc sorry but I have to laugh at your DS telling this but good you're been treated and fx it also help your DD settling by herself

SocietyClowns Wed 06-Feb-13 18:44:07

BC grin
mous My two also like to stand/climb/hang off/throw themselves on dh but would never do that to me. I'm sure they know the consequences of breaking mama are dire grin

dd2 was fast asleep by 6.20 tonight after another great day at nursery. She was almost asleep when she sat up again to ask if she can please go again tomorrow! (Yes she can, she is doing three days a week and has also been invited on her non nursery day on Friday to come in for a topic themed party). And I got another pretty full account of her day (she never did this at her old nursery, probably because she didn't do very much except wait for me to come back and rescue her sad). Huge weight off my mind.

IC Sorry to hear about the hiccough with nursery. I am sure your dd will get back into it when she feels better smile

My left ear does clicking noises and I have had the odd moment of hearing in it the last few days. Quite odd to hear in stereo again if only for a moment. I am hoping this is a good sign!

StoneBaby Wed 06-Feb-13 18:53:03

mous your DD1 comment is soo true grin

StoneBaby Wed 06-Feb-13 18:55:12

Oops press post too qucikly

SC great news about your DD2 loving enjoying her new school. DS is now in pre school and even if he is the youngest, he is far much happier than he has been in his previous room (where he was the oldest).

mous had to laugh at your DD1's comment!

Likewise your DS' announcement about your nipples, Bc! Promising signs on the sleep, too....

Ooh, good that your ears seem to be recovering, SC!

DD's been much brighter today - less of a PITA generally, which I take as a sign that she's feeling better. She keeps bringing up nursery and slightly accusingly saying "you went away, Mummy..." (well, I didn't exactly slip away without her realising!!). I'm hoping by chatting about it and saying I'll stay for longer on Friday I can bring her round again.

DS has cut his first tooth!! He's beaten DD by two months. Apart from a more restless night on Monday (which I put down to his cold), it wasn't a big deal for him, it seems. Here's hoping the rest come through with similar lack of trauma....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now