Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

StoneBaby Sat 06-Oct-12 11:51:05

mous glad to hear your DD2 enjoys school

bc tiredness is our worse ennemy. I hope you'll manage to get more rest/sleep

CP how is moving going? Good to hear you're getting more sleep and that your holidays went well

survival how did your DS2 spent the night? Hopefully the ab will sort the Indection and won't nake him sick

DS closed the car door on my finger this morning, it is now bruised and hurts a lot.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 06-Oct-12 13:38:11

Ouch! SB can you move it alright? Otherwise I would suggest and A&E trip...

NK2b1f2 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:40:45

Dh was a bit of an idiot this morning. He took dd2 into town and just (1.30) came back saying he didn't get everything done that he'd planned because dd2 went a bit crazy towards the end... It never occurred to him that she normally has lunch around 12 and was getting ratty because of hunger! He was a bit blush when I pointed it out to him.

StoneBaby Sat 06-Oct-12 17:49:52

I can move it but the nail area is very sore and blue.

I'm out tonight with a friend!!! DH is staying h9'e and will be taling care of DS.

Ouch SB - I hope it heals up soon!

Yes to everyone about those regrettable but inevitable shouty moments. Like you rainbow, I usually apologise afterwards. A friend of mine suggested that it's healthier to shout sometimes than keep it all inside, so I'm comforting myself with that! DD has been so much better behaved with me lately, though. I think the harder line I've adopted with her is having some effect. Not necessarily the shouting, but if anything, she's been sweeter to me than usual, so the occasional seething moment doesn't appear to be damaging our bond so far.

Survival I'm amazed you're still as together as you are on so little sleep as well as the work and the boys' health issues. Blimey.

CP good climbing, wow!

NK I'm not sure I am coping that well so far, given that I've had someone in to help for a few hours every day - I haven't been put properly to the test yet by having both DC on my own for the entire day!!

DS currently wakes up 2-3 times per night, which isn't too bad as he mostly goes back off again fairly easily, unless I have to change his nappy. This morning's windy gruntings were eased by a bit of co-sleeping, which meant I probably got an hour more than I would have done otherwise. Thursday night was pretty tough, though. Not only was DS especially windy and needed three nappy changes, DD had a bout of croup which, although relatively mild, distressed her mightily and sounded awful, not to mention the extra nocturnal requirements after the initial coughing fit. Thank goodness for our humidifier.

Thankfully, DD was fine last night and the cold that precipitated the croup seems to be largely in abeyance, so hopefully that's an end to it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed DS hasn't caught it. It's the first time DD's had croup, but I realised what it was straight away. Scary, though. I got DH to phone NHS Direct and check the symptoms as I wasn't sure what to look out for to suggest it's getting nasty. Luckily, DD didn't have any of those.

I've currently got both DS in disposable nappies after religiously using washables up to now. DS because all the washables I've tried on him have leaked hopelessly, so I'm going to wait until the quantity of pee has calmed down a bit (he's peeing about every ten minutes!) and try again. DD has taken to removing her nappy the moment it's wet, which suggests she's ready for potty training, but I'm not quite. I need my tummy to be a bit better before I'm running around after her and mopping up the inevitable accidents. Meanwhile, changing washable nappies with DS in a sling if he's awake is simply too tricky, so I've resorted to bunging DD in pull-ups for convenience' sake. Hey ho. I'll try and re-establish my green credentials in due course...

Climbingpenguin Sat 06-Oct-12 20:58:21

you definitely have better things to think about and not nappies. I hope it gets better soon, sorry to hear you're having a tough time healing, it must suck!

I say sorry to DD and also say 'mummy, no shouting' in the same way I'd tell her, which means she tells me to stop shouting when I do. This always makes me feel really guilty snaps me out of it.

The house is getting there. Most things are in-situ however the place was really dirty and dusty so we have to slowly get everything out of cupboards again to clean them all down. Also meant I have had 7 nights here of my asthma being activated at night as the bedroom is the worst. Got it really well hoovered today so <fx> tonight will be better. Unfortunately with two young ones around priorities are making sure the house is baby/toddler proof and their rooms. Also the cleaning at the old flat is on going and we've done no prep for DS's birthday. We need both places ready for Sunday (DS is one on thurs!!).

NK2b1f2 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:20:59

IC My admiration with your coping skills includes the fact that you are happy to accept help! :-) I got myself into quite a state after I had dd1 and wouldn't have been able to allow anyone to come in and give me a hand.

NK2b1f2 Sun 07-Oct-12 20:19:40

Dd2 is a bit under the weather (again!) and earlier asked if she could go back into my tummy sad. Would have happily let her to make her feel better but had to tell her she is too big now... Then dd1 got the giggles about the thought of my tummy bursting (charming), and dd2 cheered up a bit seeing her sister laughing so much.

StoneBaby Mon 08-Oct-12 09:24:05

NK your dd2 makes me laugh

So it was a false alarm. My cycle this month was 34 days which obviously made my ov date completely wrong as I calculated it on a 38 days cycle. angry next month I'll use ovulation sticks

Climbingpenguin Mon 08-Oct-12 13:16:04

<hands over chocolate to sb>

we all still have our cough nk. I've accepting we're in the season of always having tissues stuffed into every pocket.

Climbingpenguin Mon 08-Oct-12 13:21:38

I actually couldn't speak the first day I got down from the mountains and ordered a drink in the bar while I waited for pick-up blush. It had been very gusty on the tops though, had to sit down in places and wait for walking on.

Hope DD picks up soon.

DD and DS are really starting to play with other now. DD crawls around next to him chasing him. DS climbs onto DD's bed (but he can't climb down yet). He still isn't walking either, about once a week he repeats his sequence of three steps and then that's it.

What food should I get for a little birthday celebration do you think? I'd like to get stuff that one year olds actually like. plus the ILs faces when I serviced jam sandwiches last time was priceless

StoneBaby Mon 08-Oct-12 13:41:27

Mini banana muffins? Marmite sandwich? I'm trying hard to find food your ILs may not enjoy A fruit hedgehog?

rainbowweaver Mon 08-Oct-12 15:14:02

Oh and DD tells DH and me to "stop shouting, you two" when we get a bit too animated grin mind you she also tells us to stop talking as she's talking when she wants to say something. Usually follows by some informative sentence about what she did in nursery. smile

rainbowweaver Mon 08-Oct-12 15:14:38

poached chicken skin cp

rainbowweaver Mon 08-Oct-12 15:15:00

they will gobble it up!

rainbowweaver Mon 08-Oct-12 15:30:29

sorry blush fit of exuberance thinking of how to shock your ILs. was also going to add pork fat. Maybe you can try vegetarian versions. DD loves all these unhealthy, fatty stuff.

Climbingpenguin Mon 08-Oct-12 16:29:31

I think they'd be thrilled just to see meat products there.

NK2b1f2 Mon 08-Oct-12 16:33:09

Can you borrow a goat or sheep, hand them a knife and invite them to help themselves? grin

rainbowweaver Mon 08-Oct-12 18:55:25

grin or maybe just a fish first

I could do chicken I think - I've seen it done before by my grandmother though I've never done it myself.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 09-Oct-12 09:45:32

Hug SB
<sex every 3 days starting from the last day of the period should cover all your fertile time if you don't want to fiddle with sticks>

CP vegan pancakes with savoury and sweet fillings? nachos/ guagamole and other dip? houmous and veg? mendiants (nuts and raisins in chocolate, you can hammer the nuts to make them safe for toddler)

Climbingpenguin Tue 09-Oct-12 12:47:39

what would you have as fillings?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 09-Oct-12 13:01:17

some mushroom ones, may be some spicy one : veg or red beans mix, with some morrocan or indian spice mix, some cheesy one if you have a nice vegan equivalent with nutmeg and spinash, ratatouille works well too as for sweet; nutella/banana is a must, jams, fruits compotes

Climbingpenguin Tue 09-Oct-12 13:25:18

that sounds really good, but I just don't have the time. Still got loads of flat cleaning and the cake to make yet. Plus Saturday I have tutoring for two hours and the children have swimming.

So far I'm thinking
garlic bread
salad bits and dips (hummous, baba ganoush, salsa, guacamole)
jelly (DS loves jelly blush)
fruit salad
breadsticks
cake (going for vanilla sponge this time)

DS would love pancakes though. Can you make them a bit in advance and leave in a oven?

I have found a website that sells vegan cheese/meats that is soy free so hope to get a order in that soon.

not sure if DD will go off today, she's also not slept through for about 8 days now. Do yours make up songs about what they're doing?

Climbingpenguin Tue 09-Oct-12 13:26:10

also presents

i was wanting to get him a soft doll but everyone is a bit hmm about it. That or a good quality big bouncy ball but can't seem to find any, it's all that thin plastic shit.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 09-Oct-12 13:29:33

With normal pancakes you can (I like them better cold though), I don't know about vegan ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now