Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

SconesForTea Sun 09-Dec-12 19:45:59

Mous sad You are amazing holding it all together. I would be a wreck if DH wasn't working (and have no idea how I'd cope having him around all day. U would snap his head off).

DD2 just vomited up evening feed and dinner, hope it's not that sickness bug. I thought she'd already had it, very mildly. Loads of vomity mess to clear up when she's back down. Delightful.

DD1 still up as we've reluctantly conceded that an afternoon nap ( a good 2 hours grin) means she won't go to bedusual time. She's downstairs watching Elf with DH - his festive favourite (mine is Muppet Christmas Carol).

Climbingpenguin Sun 09-Dec-12 20:05:03

mous does he help out much? I really feel for you, worry I don't say it often but it doesn't mean I don't think about it. Just I never know what to say.

DD did a poo without hassle today smile DS has a fever

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Sun 09-Dec-12 23:16:15

A busy weekend for you all by the sound of it.

Mous I think you are amazing - I'd be finding it extremely difficult with your DH right now. I hope things ease for you soon. I think DS1 is on the high functioning end of the spectrum too (and probably me too blush) but he seems to be coping well with school so far. Having DS2 has shown up some of DS1's weaknesses as DS2 can now do some things tha DS1 doesn't do yet - e.g. asks if we've had a nice day and is interested in the answer; holds eye contact well etc..

BC loving the robots - we're heavily into cats here and I've spent half the day lying in a 'cat cage' (den) in the lounge meowing!! All because DS1's best friend has just got three cats.

Secind child syndorme -definitely! I've managed 2 photo albums for DS2, as opposed to the 3 for DS1 - I actually think that's pretty good going. Virtually no video though sad.

The boys have played beauifully for much of the weekend and the house is now looking festive (and most presents wrapped). Donkey outfit checked off the list. Story book writing and puppet theatre left to complete... A much more enjoyable weekend and a big sigh of relief.

Scones The steam train sounds good. I was hoping to sort it for our boys but DS2 is terrified of Father Christmas so I decided it was a bit of a waste of money at this point! Hope the vomiting is a one off.

BG hope the ear improves soon. Go back tomorrow if you see no improvement.

SB liking the angel role -an easier costume too I assume? It must be hard listening to comments about DS's speech. If it's any consolation, my friend's DD has caught up and more in time for attending school (and is fluent in German as well as English).

How are your two now CP? Hope the fever subsides soon. DS2 has a rash and I'm wondering if nursery are going to refuse to have him in the morning. Both boys are feeling sick when they eat. Maybe i wasn't just stressed at the beginning of the week after all?$

It's a school night - must go to bed!!

Climbingpenguin Mon 10-Dec-12 12:39:27

DD is fine now and didn't even get up to 6:30, better night as well with only two short wakings.

DS is still feverish and am having to alternate the drugs quicker than usual to keep it OKish. Poor little thing had a blue mouth, cold hands and was chattering despite a temperature of 38.4. He has gone back to refusing medicine so it's a battle to dose him. I have some eczema creams to try and well (naturally the cold extremities happened 30 mins after our appointment).

survival did you say that yours can't have lentils? They def. lead to very loose bowels with DS. As he has a habbit of not drinking, last night this was quite useful to give him.

How is everyone else today?

stoofadoof Mon 10-Dec-12 22:29:45

CP wondering how the hell it got to be nearly christmas without me really noticing mostly!!!

I also have a manky ear though nothing like poor BG mine is just where my ear's pierced, and as soon as I start to get run down or stressed, it gets infected, swollen, pus-filled, itchy and uncomfortable… oh, and it looks delightful! I thought I was doing ok on the run down/stressed front but my ear tells me otherwise grin

i have a (very minor) gripe today… I got a call from school to check if i was ok with DD's full name appearing under a photo in the local paper of the christmas play… apparently they'd done a close up of her and a couple of others… i'd said they could use her first name but not surname cos of my work (don't like to be traceable if possible, specially not for the kids, and our surname isn't smith or jones) anyway… DH later got a message that they probs wouldn't use the pic without her full name, and was made to feel a bit bad about it by school… me? I don't care - if it's a nice pic we might buy it off the website, but then I got to thinking - DD will be upset if all the other kids get in the paper and she doesn't, all because of me refusing to let them use her name… then i figured, actually i'd rather she was upset by that than some loon i've been dealing with at work tracking her down and who knows what…

um… dunno what i'm trying to say really, except that things are never blinking straightforward are they…

hope everyone's reasonably well - CP hope DS fever reduces soon..

BabyGiraffes Mon 10-Dec-12 22:54:16

Stoof I am totally with you on the name thing. There is absolutely no reason to use full names. Our school uses first names only or first name and initial for the surname for anything in the public domain.

Sorry to hear you also have a sore ear. Mine's still pretty deaf but does some clicking noises now and again and the car alarm sound is now a washing machine (although last night I had the most irritating engaged telephone sound - never knew tinnitus could be so entertaining!). Still hoping it will clear in the next few days so I can have conversation with people again. Also, dh is fed up of having to shake me awake because I can't hear my alarm in the morning grin

Get well vibes to everyone. dd1 is now down with the school high temperature bug that's doing the rounds. It's already caused her school play to be seriously lacking in sheep (half a flock) and angels (two rather than six) last week. She came home today rattling off all the children that were missing from her class today (about 7) and it looks like she might be off tomorrow.

SconesForTea Mon 10-Dec-12 22:54:38

stoof sounds like you did the right thing. Why on earth does the paper need to print children's surnames anyway?

CP poor DS. Have you been to doc I take if from your appt? Can doc prescribe suppositories, they were a lifsaver (literally) when DD2 was ill. She still struggles with taking meds now but will take Tesco's own over Calpol, have you tried different brands? Worrying for you sad Glad DD better though smile

SconesForTea Mon 10-Dec-12 22:56:14

I get a gummy earring hole too, tis smelly and yuck.

BG get well to DD1. Will it cause childcare headaches?

SconesForTea Mon 10-Dec-12 22:58:05

Survival 2 photo albums for DS2 is impressive. Photo albums are on my I Must Do Someday list.

BabyGiraffes Mon 10-Dec-12 23:08:20

scones Yes but I'm getting better at this smile. Briefed dh as soon as dd1 was home with a temperature of 39 this afternoon. She's a tough little thing and may well sleep it off until the morning. If she's still unwell I can be flexible in the morning and dh can work from home in the afternoon (providing she's happy to lie on the sofa watching dvds and doesn't think having him home means playtime wink). I'm then home on Wednesday anyway. Fx she doesn't pass it on to all of us. I have no problem sending dd1 to school with a cold if she is bouncing round the house and seems well enough in herself, but for some reason I am much softer with dd2 and wouldn't dream of sending her to nursery even with a hint of a slightly raised temperature... hmm <bad mummy emoticon>

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 07:43:59

DS more normal ill, but woke with a temp of 39.7, he took the drugs though. My sister is looking after them today, am at my mums to do some work. Have to try and not feel too bad, but I'll be back for at least an hour for lunch.

Hope the other poor lies are ok

StoneBaby Tue 11-Dec-12 10:03:46

Sending get well soon dust to all poorly

stoof I would not want my DS surname to be published neither.

Need to carry on working

StoneBaby Tue 11-Dec-12 11:10:33

DS had a massive meltdown this morning when he realised he forgot his cuddly toy at home. I felt so useless at not been able to comfort him but he stopped crying when I started singing a 'christmas' song about an elf and Santa blush. But as a result of his toy been left home we finally managed to wash it!

Sorry I haven't been on for a while - 4 month sleep regression seems to be setting in with DS, so I've been going to bed by 20.00 in order to cope with the multiple wakings.
In other respects, he remains delightful, so I forgive him smile and thankfully, his naps are still fine (although I'm using those that synchronise with DD's to get Christmas organised....)

Oh CP more illness - rubbish for your poor DS and for you. I hope his recovery is quick. Sorry to hear about the withholding, it's a bit of a nightmare, isn't it?

Likewise BG - not much fun for you and your DD2. The book I have says go easy on dairy products as apparently they can actually be quite dehydrating (although this seems to apply more to Number 2s than 1s....)
How's the ear doing?

Mous sorry to hear about the continuing DH frustrations...

DD is on great form at the moment. Her behaviour is much better in general - partly because of the regular bowel movements (!) and partly because I think she's getting the idea that when I say I'm going to do something as a consequence to something she's doing/done, I actually do it. She definitely takes me more seriously now, which is helpful. Although I agree Bc that it's not always ideal to have a child jump to obey you in an instant, it does help if they will at least do/stop doing something reasonably promptly when you ask them to - especially if it involves danger to themselves and/or their sibling.

Second child syndrome, yes a bit of that here. DS definitely doesn't have as much attention as the PFB did. I'm looking forward to February when DD will start nursery three afternoons a week to redress the balance a bit!

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 15:01:15

it's great that you are able to get to sleep early to compensate

IC I was completely shocked over the effects on her behaviour and the distress it caused her. So glad your DD is still doing well.

I sent off the proposal today, working on the lay report and wondering how I will ever fit it into one page.

DS slept with my mum last night and he actually slept. We tried with me but he's worked out he can lift my top.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Tue 11-Dec-12 17:08:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SconesForTea Tue 11-Dec-12 18:44:23

Oh Mous how dreadful. Huge sympathies to you. Don't go if you can't face it, I'm sure you have many plausible (and true no doubt) reasons why you can't leave your family at the moment. Big hugs. You are coping with such a lot and all on disturbed sleep too (kick DH onto the sofa for a few nights). brew and wine

SconesForTea Tue 11-Dec-12 18:51:53

Good luck with the proposal CP, Herculean effort with two very small people to look after.

BG hope DD1 is better.

IC Woweee on the 8pm bedtimes envy (Not of 4m SR tho, I swore DD2 wouldn't regress and she did. I'm afraid I uncontrolled cried her out of it). Great that DD's behaviour better, I completely agree, DD1 is mostly better with me because she knows I mean what I say. [taking no shit emoticon]

SB Well done on the cheeky toy wash. Our girls both have 2 of their cuddlies or I'd never be able to wrench them away long enough to wash them (helps when they're sick all over them too hmm).

Gonna be a cold one tonight eh? Need icicles emoticon...

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 19:38:58

oh mous how jarring. I agree to do your own thing and have your family to help you.

Climbingpenguin Tue 11-Dec-12 19:40:39

ps I might post my two things on fb once done as I feel I need to show someone and shout 'look, I made fire' grin. I'm used to submitting and getting feedback, not just sending off into the abyss. Plus you lot will appreciate how hard it is to squeeze this stuff in while being a SAHM.

Bearcrumble Tue 11-Dec-12 19:43:38

Hi all,

Mous - very sorry about your friend but absolutely you shouldn't go if it will freak you out. You have 2 very young kids and the journey sounds awful. You are NOT a freak - rembember and honour your friend the way you want to.

Sorry to hear about all the poorly children and mums.

CP Well done on the proposal.

Stoof I think you were q reasonable to not want surname published.

Survival - so sorry you've had another trip to a + e (saw facebook).

SB How did the macarons come out?

Had nursery nativity this pm. DS was a shepherd and his best friend was Mary's donkey. He was sweet - didn't do much, but got v nervous when he was supposed to be dancing and needed to sit on his keyworker's lap for a cuddle. Another mm commented that the parents looked like a paparazzi pack. She was right to be honest - all except front 2 rows standing and in the aisle hmm.

I am crap at getting dd to sleep. Because DH is out she is still wide awake on my lap. I usually feed her to sleep then he takes care of the transfer to basket and upstairs. She's had about 2 20 min naps all day. Tuesdays are always bad as it's the only day I have them both all day.

DS has just started telling me how horrible I am. I try not to react but it hurts.

Bearcrumble Tue 11-Dec-12 19:44:51

Not just as in just now (he's asleep) but since yesterday.

StoneBaby Tue 11-Dec-12 21:31:10

mous I hate funerals too and you are more than reasonable not to go. Send your apologises to the family and if they can't understand why, I would not worry too much (I hope I don't sound harsh as it is not how I want to say it but cannot find another way).

bc it'll be fine tonight

CP well done

DS is once again coughing but fx it'll stay on the lowand won't need another trip to the gp

survival what happened to your DS1?

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Tue 11-Dec-12 21:34:46

Well done CP - that's some achievement.

Mous sorry to hear about your friend. I agree on you having plenty of reasons not to go if you don't want to.

BG hope your DD is on the mend. Many bugs here too.

BC that sounds very cute about DS in the nativity (and less so about the parents!) I've been getting, "You're not a nice lady, Mummy!" from DS2 for about 6 months - it's now water off a duck's back!!

IC glad to hear you are still winning the poo battle smile.

SB Ds2's cat now looks like it's been dragged through a hedge backwards as it has been puked on so often and washed!! A sneaky wash is very clever, as long as it comes out looking the same!!

And yes, a further trip to A&E today with DS1. He's made a real mess of his middle finger (and nail) on his right hand (and is right handed). I can not believe it! I flew into panic mode when I got the call, I think after last time, but he has been very brave once again. Unfortunately, DS2 then retched just before teatime (haven't posted tha on FB in case I end up sending him to nursery if he's not sick!). He's been complaining about tummy ache since last week but has not managed a full-on retch until now. Could be his dysmotility as they had given him lots of baked beans at nursery - I guess the night will tell. DH and I trying to juggle the childcare for tomorrow as a result. I am determined that next year will be spent less in hospitals...

Off to write Christmas cards now. Hope all the poorly folk are mending and love to all I haven't mentioned.

stoofadoof Tue 11-Dec-12 22:17:01

what a hideous amount of bugs doing the rounds :-( SOTU hope it's ok… I once had to take my little brother to a&e by myself (I was 14, he was 10) when a sandstone slab fell on his hand and crushed 3 fingers <shudder>

DD has nasty cough… not much sleep last night, hoping tonight a bit better.

mous sad <hugs>

it's our christmas lunch tomorrow at work.. .cost £25 !!!!!!!!!!!! so hoping it's good (also hoping I can get out of the almost obligatory manager buying everyone a drink as we're horribly skint… our director's going, so hopes are high!!! my plan is to let her get to the bar first!!)

night all xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now