Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

FEB 2010 Two and a half to three...the "contrary age" (no it isn't! yes it is!)

(989 Posts)

Come in, sit down, fresh coffee is brewing, Prosecco's in the fridge for later and there's a bumper box of Lindt chocolates for all....

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Wed 05-Dec-12 16:37:42

BG <hugs> Please go see your GP, I would have panicked by now if it was me (but then I am already deaf in one ear so... easily scared if anything happens to my good ear, and completely oblivious if it is in my bad ear).

Bearcrumble Wed 05-Dec-12 20:04:23

Yes, yes - do go back to the GP, BG.

I've not been around for ages, hi Stangirl - nice to have you back. Congrats on being very brave and jacking in the job.

Back when I was having IVF and still working and I knew that if that round didn't work I'd be quitting (it didn't and I did) it was very hard to make the leap into the unknown but I am so glad I did. I am probably unemployable now though. Oh well.

I have lost it a couple of times with DS. One time I cuffed him around the back of the head, not hard but still not nice at all and another time I squeezed his hand too hard when pulling something off him that he shouldn't have been holding. Both times it was to do with having both of them all day and not enough sleep. First time it was when I had just got her to sleep on me and I was trying to carefully put her down without waking her and he kept coming in and making noise and the second time it was because he'd kicked out at her when they were both playing on the floor. I was in such a rage when he kicked her - I kept calming myself down and then getting angry again and in the end I told him to go away into another room because I felt like I wanted to hurt him. He was very upset and I should have dropped it after telling him off and removing her from near his feet the first time. I felt like such an evil cow afterwards - he was crying for daddy because I must have freaked him out so badly.

We went to a new friend's after nursery today - a little boy a bit older than DS (just turned 4) and they played together so nicely, in another room - could hear loads of good natured shouting and laughter. It made me realise that it won't always be this intense (even if problems become more complex). I really like the little boy and his mum, very glad we met them.

I wouldn't act like a toddler when they are having a tantrum. It just wouldn't sit right with me - I think you need to be a calm presence if at all possible and show them that although they are having trouble managing their feelings, we're not scared of the way they manifest them and will be a solid, non-judging constant. That's the aim anyway.

I have been reading 'Raising our children, raising ourselves'. Here is an article by the authour: www.naturalparenting.com.au/flex/how-to-connect-with-your-misbehaving-child/7919/1

IC - I like a lot of the things in "Calmer, easier, happier...." but some of the stuff that I don't like is the 'only say it once' kind of vibe, so you're training them to jump at your every word. It's not, in my mind, developmentally appropriate to think that toddlers won't get distracted and/or dawdle when you ask them to do something. Having that unrealistic expectation in my mind has led me to get cross with DS when otherwise I wouldn't have when I was trying to follow those instructions in her book. In the end I have taken a lot of good things from it but I do question some of her advice and methods.

Survival - Big, big hugs to you and your brave DS1. I so wish that he hadn't had to experience that.

BG - go to the doctor, please!!

scones I'm pretty sure that's Harvey Karp (5S man) - I've seen him talking about it.

Much better day today, even though I had even less sleep. I resolved to be more patient and more positive and DD responded well. Thankfully.
Cheers for admitting your own losing-it moments, everyone! No it's not good, but at least I'm not the only one....

DD's had the runs today - four nappies-worth, and this from a chronic withholder! I wondered if I'd overdone the laxative, but actually I think she's got a tummy bug (doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort). If I'd known that earlier, I could have saved myself a couple of sachets of Movicol!!

stoofadoof Wed 05-Dec-12 21:40:14

<waves>

I shouted so much a few weeks ago I hurt my throat… and felt like shit for, well, weeks as it turns out…

get to the docs bg !!

StoneBaby Thu 06-Dec-12 20:11:10

BG how are you?

CP how is your DD today?

IC any improvement?

survival how are things? You've been quiet for the last few days

Waves to stoof, bc and scones

Climbingpenguin Thu 06-Dec-12 20:16:16

she's not been too good today. Very clingy and feverish. No sickness though.

Climbingpenguin Thu 06-Dec-12 20:27:08

<also wondering about survival>

StoneBaby Thu 06-Dec-12 20:50:20

CP sad

Climbingpenguin Thu 06-Dec-12 20:59:17

However she has said some darling things smile

Yesterday upon seeing the snow she told me that when we went outside we would have to wear hats, red hats, like Santa.

Today when standing next to the fridge when I was opening it 'Don't hit me mummy'. After a few times I asked her if I had hit her and she told 'No, but because I told you not to' grin

We spent quite a while playing with playdough today (the children did alternate naps) and made some snowmen. She just woke up shouting snowman before settling back down again.

StoneBaby Thu 06-Dec-12 21:20:11

CP sorry but I had to laugh at her hitting comments.

I'm quite envious of your LOs facility to speak properly. DS is no where near making sentences. I know what he means because I can feel the blanks but know MIL people look at him wondering what on earth he is talking about.

stoofadoof Thu 06-Dec-12 22:01:56

CP hope she picks up soon!

today at nursery, DS apparently tootled off to the loo, took his nappy off, climbed on and had massive poo. followed by three further similar trips for wees later in the day… not sure now whether to wait for when it works best for US to ditch the nappies (ie christmas when one or other of us is off work for a fortnight) or go with it and put his big boy pants on if he wants them tomorrow… whilst he's been having a wee on the potty before his bath for a few months, he's never wanted to try his big boy pants and we're happy not to push it until he's ready… erm, that looks like it might be now!

in other news, DD swam her first width all by herself without discs, floats, anyone near by…

oh, and apparently when Revd Jo (tis a CoE school!!) was in today and asked the kids what they were looking forward to at christmas, DD piped up with spending time with family and friends which is the most important thing grin

<fit to bust, proud mum>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 07-Dec-12 05:18:08

shoo, I jinxed myself with the sleep, DD2 is back waking at 6 am which is OK, but Oh! the luxury of waking up on your own time and have the 1st sip of coffee undisturbed! hmm <dream emoticon

Stoof That is so sweet, no wonder your bursting!

CP grin I can picture you all with your red hats in the snow, sorry she is still not well.

SB <hugs> I know exactly how you feel! It doesn't help that people are very judgy here and very intolerant of any handicap. I do know from experiences that some insular people are not that open minded themselves. Can you fob them by saying it is completely normal in bilingual children?

I have 16 h tutoring now, nowhere near enough to support us but it is a relief for Xmas. It does actually pay for DD2 school with a bit left over for presents grin (IKEA here we come!), a pity that 2 of my pupil will finished/moved in January.

Waves and pass brew, DD1 is jealous of your snow <not me>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 07-Dec-12 07:07:42

BG how is your ear?

I think I have solved my Xmas dilemma, I will keep DD2 kitchen set for her birthday and buy this tent for Xmas. It is the same visual impact as the house for DD1 and about the same price and I am sure DD1 will want to play with it too <if she can squeeze inside> <may be I can hide inside when it is all too much too grinhmm>

This parenting 2 children equally is hard!

BabyGiraffes Fri 07-Dec-12 12:10:13

Went to the GP this morning and now have a course of antibiotics. If my hearing doesn't return by the time I finish them I have to go back... confused.

SurvivalOfTheUnfittest Fri 07-Dec-12 23:57:34

Well done BG

I'm here (and sorry to hear about more illnesses). Have been making a donkey costume tonight for the school nativity play grin. Last night, it was an evening of puppet theatre making. I'm finding them good projects for taking my mind of the real world, but actually things have improved this week <whispers and runs off to bed far too late once again, vowing to return tomorrow night> My full update on DS1 is on the group page on facebook. DH is stamping his feet that I'm not in bed. Night....

StoneBaby Sat 08-Dec-12 20:19:00

BG I hope you're feeling better thanks to the AB

survival well done on the donkey outfit. DS will be an angel hmm at the pre-school nativity he's more a little devil than an angel but I guess it can't be a character of a nativity grin

mous it's good to know I'm not the only one to get those comments but it's still hurting despites knowing that with bilinguism it is to be expected. How is your DD2 speech going at the present?

I'm making lemon macarons as I type. I was aiming to use an eggless lemon curd but it seems the curd is a failure...

stoofadoof Sat 08-Dec-12 20:44:57

mous we have that tent - they love it!

BG hope the ABs starting to work.

Climbingpenguin Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:20

IC we have been experiencing a taster of what you have been through and you have my utmost sympathies.

Following my slight mishandling of a runny poo the other day when she was ill and tired she suddenly started to withhold. Cue a very distressed DD last night waking every 30 mins until 2am (and then hourly), crying and kicking even though I had her in with me. Convinced her to go just before dinner so really really hoping that as she expressed surprise that it didn't hurt and was happy to carry on sitting on the potty that she will be more normal tomorrow. (we have history of hurty poos if she eats the wrong thing). We've loaded her up with orange juice. Told her that the poo wanted to go home to it's mummy and daddy (so she waved goodbye to it when it was flushed away), explained her tummy would stop hurting if she did it and finally did it when we said she was full of poo and we needed to just do a little one to make way for her favourite dinner, DHs fish.

BabyGiraffes Sat 08-Dec-12 21:35:01

CP Hope your dd feels better tomorrow. IC how is your dd getting on?

We had quite an unexpected problem with withholding when dd2 was poorly week before last. She had a touch of constipation, then tried to limit her liquid intake so she didn't need to go to the loo at all. Obviously then her concentrated wee hurt her sore bottom even more, so she refused to drink... And repeat. The day she was very very poorly and lay on the sofa all day she managed to not do a wee all day!! despite me plying her with juice and pink milk (too much Charlie and Lola here hmm) etc. I have no idea how she managed but as she was running a fever as well I guess she sweated it all out (and once asleep she soaked her nappy so much I changed her before I went to bed). Luckily things have calmed down a bit since and I have found that it works best if I let her get on with things herself even if it means she only wees about three times a day and goes days without doing a poo. I do keep an eye on it of course to make sure she doesn't go too long, but she is quite determined to do things her way. (It is rather marvellous when out and about because I don't have to worry about her needing to go at any point)

Well, as far as my ear is concerned I can't report any improvement yet (but then I have never had anything that responded to amoxicillin confused - why do they still prescribe it?). I'm pretty much deaf in my left ear apart from a lovely washing machine sound. It's meant that I have not bothered to go on two nights out this week because I couldn't see the point. I would not have been able to have a conversation with anyone especially in a noisy bar or restaurant, and being on AB means I shouldn't drink <ignores glass of wine>
Or maybe I have just started hibernating and prefer to sit in front of a nice fire...

Stoof Awwww smile That's a really sweet thing for your dd to say.

Wondered this week if dd2 is being overlooked a little bit in typical second child syndrome. She's surprised me several times this week doing things I had no idea she was capable off. This morning I found her on her own in her room doing quite a difficult jigsaw that she took from dd1's room (neither dh nor I initially believed she'd gone so far without help blush). She's also brought me pictures this week that she had coloured in, taking care to keep within the lines (again initially I thought dd1 had done most of it blush). And she comes out with witty comments, tries to make jokes, and has a much better memory than I thought. What totally cracked me up though was her reading a book with dh and saying 'Let me do it' and then putting on a different voice (including a deep Papa voice) for some of the characters. I wished I'd filmed that because it was hilarious.
Here's my new year's resolution: pay a little more attention to my younger child!! smile

stoofadoof Sat 08-Dec-12 22:17:24

oh BG second child syndrome - <snap> here! i've realised the last couple of weeks that whilst DS has had lots of attention from me the last 6 months, it's actually pretty much just been about his health… i've missed that he can climb the stairs safely himself, that he's got a wicked sense of humour, that he's far more polite than his sister has ever managed, that he can do jigsaws and so many other things blush (no colouring inside the lines here mind!!)

BabyGiraffes Sat 08-Dec-12 22:24:01

'much more polite than her sister has ever managed' - oh yes stoof, same here!! It amazes me that siblings can be so different!

Bearcrumble Sun 09-Dec-12 08:22:46

DS has become obsessed with robots. He just goes around saying "I'm a robot" all day. I'm mummy robot apparently.

Couple of day ago we were in Sainsbury's and he ran up to the Malibu and said "is this what Grandpa likes"? - I said no so he went and said the same thing in front of the Basics Vodka.

He is off to the South Bank today with DH to see the Muppets Christmas Carol and there's a special chocolate market behind the festival hall.

SconesForTea Sun 09-Dec-12 15:38:35

I tried to find that chocolate market last year bc when I visited my sister in London on the train by myself for the weekend - well with the girls - looking back I cannot believe I did it shock shock We didn't find the market and ended up hibernating in the Haywood Gallery cafe which was lovely, warm, roomy and calm (other than DD1 running round knocking all the Christmas trees over).

Also bc I have been meaning to express my admiration ever since you wrote it, about how little TV your DCs watch. I can hardly believe that it was only last Christmas that DD1 started watching TV when my Dad bought her a Peppa Pig DVD. Now she watches about an hour every morning, up with DH before I get up blush (I only get out of bed with immense reluctance as he leaves the house) and sometimes an hour in the evening too if I am feeling fragile. It is meant to be 30 mins as I get their dinner ready but sometimes I can't resist a bit extra. What DID people do before TV, I constantly wonder.

Oh and snap on the second child syndrome too. I have hardly any video footage of DD2, even less than of DD1. And I just don't sit and read to her like I did with DD1. ANd all manner of things, as I think about it. She is such a chilled little soul that most of my attention is still focussed on DD1, which is exactly how DD1 likes it.

BG can you ask for a different AB? Your hearing will come back won't it? Do go back to your GP and bother him/her some more.

Survival glad to hear that things are improving. I will read your FB update in a minute. Hope you've had a restful weekend.

Mous love the tent! Is your DH workign at the moment? (Sorry to be nosy) Sounds like you are coping with a lot.

I had loads of things I wanted to post but have forgotten them all and now feel the time pressure as DH due back from B&Q any moment, ah here he is in fact. We need to Get On WIth Jobs while both DDs are asleep (oh precious, precious times!)

Yesterday we took them on a Santa steam train, DD1 loved it but started acting uip and tantrumming towards the end as so tired. Today DH did a 5k fun run dressed as a reindeer and pushing DD1 dressed as an Elf in the buggy. She did look cute and jingled her bells all the way round (Bad Mummy forgot her gloves though so her hands were nearly blue by the end sad).

Love and waves to all, we're going to put off our chores for another 5 minutes and have a peaceful cup of brew for once.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 09-Dec-12 17:21:32

BC me too following scones's post. DD2 is watching too much TV ("in romania") but I found it cruel to stop DD1 watching her programs now that DD2 is there.

Now theyare singing jingle bells in the shower (well "jiggy bell" for DD2).

SB DD2 is copying a lot but not really speaking anything coherent by herself yet! She also seems to forget quite easily from day to day, and has/had some other worrying trends. DD1 too, different ones, which all tend to be on the high functioning spectrum. Not enough to be referred but enough to be worried.

Scones no he doesn't, I don't really know how to deal with him anymore... 2 of my lessons are intensive and will stop next month... leaving me with only 10 h of work max (latin country which is prone to cancel everything at the last minute incl. DH's contract).

<pass brew around>

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sun 09-Dec-12 17:22:37

BG hope you get your hearing back soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now