Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

April 2012 - little people who actually DO stuff now!!

(943 Posts)

Ta da grin

christmasmummyvicky Fri 07-Dec-12 17:00:43

Henrietta hope the sleeping/ pooping is better now?

Beyond I seen the pics of your hair, it looks great! smile

Hugs really sorry A is finding his helmet hard, hopefully he will get use to it soon? Fingers crossed. We had our boiler pack up last year, nightmare- hope U get it sorted asap

DD is still not quite walking yet, seem to want to hang on to the crawling a bit longer- I don't mind! smile

Her sleep has really improved we had maybe 6/7 days of just one wake up between 11-2am. Really fab for me. Apart from when she was ill she then woke twice. Fingers crossed it continue and maybe in the newyear she might drop that feed?????? smile

I forgot to say she still has her cold, running nose must of the time now, maybe cutting first tooth?

What's everyone getting dd and ds for Christmas?????
Not long now eeeekkkkk......

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Fri 07-Dec-12 19:51:49

I have got A my pal scout, a couple of the playskool popping park ball thingies and will too Up with some things he needs like babygrows, vests etc.

christmasmummyvicky Fri 07-Dec-12 21:24:13

I got L a buggy toy, 2 books, a couple of tops etc. oh and a second hand spin and bounce zebra- was a bargin at £10 on fb, She has just about grown out of the jumparoo. She is still a little small for it but will like it next year.

HenriettaTurkey Fri 07-Dec-12 21:55:20

Those gifts sound great, Vicky.

As for the poo - still waiting. And yes, he's still awake - but hey - at least he sleeps through till 8ish. Usually!

HenriettaTurkey Fri 07-Dec-12 21:57:16

And hugs - those gifts sound great too! We've got a ball pool, ducks for the bath, some books, clothes, and slotty-through type games. smile

Nordicmom Sat 08-Dec-12 08:51:24

Hug , R 's getting Scout too from great aunties . A fisher price ball popper from my parents ( DS used to love a friends one smile ), a vtech walker from DH parents . Her first doll ( Lamaze soft one ) from us and a bunch of other stuff like books , pull along big soft car etc from us ( I think I might have gone a bit over board with the amount ...).
To another subject ; her spots seem to be going , back's all better but upper thighs still have some rough skin. Her bottom teeth are really coming through now, nothing else yet as far as I can tell. She's pulling up in her cot more often now. Looks like she's trying to get up in the middle of the floor without support too . She walks really nicely with me holding her hands but is not cruising yet. It's funny how she's pretty much following DS schedule with her development except she got her first tooth later (DS 5 1/2 m). She loves her Gymboree class ( I went with DS for 3 years). Her eatings getting better and better. I spoon feed her fork mashed lumpy stuff and she has finger foods . She'll try anything from me at least once . She's happily eating normal porridge not smooth baby porridge now if we're out .

laughingGnomette Sat 08-Dec-12 09:31:07

hug - oh dear. I hope you get your heating sorted today. Really sorry to hear A is struggling with his helmet. I'm sure he'll get used to it in time xx

newmummy - That's great news about L's sleep! Do you think the CC helped? (I seem to remember you saying you might try a bit of it, sorry if I'm wrong, I have a terrible memory!!!).

Nordic - That's great news about the skin clearing up. Random question about the Gymboree classes: do you know if you can you buy the Gymboree bubbles at the classes? I want to get some and found a site that sells them but I resent paying £4 postage on £9 bubbles! I was thinking about taking him to some classes and buying the bubbles there would be a bonus!

We've got N some books and clothes for Xmas. Will probably get him something 'exciting' too but won't be going overboard as I've a feeling the grandparents will be doing that!

I'm taking N to my work's team Christmas lunch next week, I hope he behaves!! smile

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Sat 08-Dec-12 16:51:57

Heating fixed and A much happier today so all in all a good day.

christmasmummyvicky Sat 08-Dec-12 20:59:22

Nordic, great news about R spots going, still no teeth here yet...

Hugs- yeah for heating! smile

Gnomette- yes we did a little control crying just for a couple of days, it seems to work and make her sleep a little longer. Only left her for half an hour tops and went in every 10-15mins didn't pick her out of cot and just said shhhhh sleepy time! She still waking up once so maybe try it again in the next couple of weeks?
Its also helped her settle on her own at bedtime, now she know we will not pick her back up. Once she is in bed.

Still cuddling to sleep for naps in the day. As she isn't great going to sleep on own for naps.

How is everyone else doing, do your babies self settle?

HenriettaTurkey Sat 08-Dec-12 21:14:36

Self settle? Ha!

January will be a time when DH will have finished work and I won't have gone back. We are planning on really working on this then. Wish us luck!

DS was very warm today - and 4 days without poo - so pharmacist suggested suppositories. He has since filled a nappy and is a bit happier. Still not himself though. But his temp is better.

We are in a hotel with all the family. Routine totally disrupted but loads of people loving time with DS.

I had 5 hrs sleep... But then had an hour all alone in the jacuzzi, spa & sauna. Amazing. Really amazing. smile

Thaleia Sat 08-Dec-12 21:29:01

vicky I have to say, I am a dummy snob but it has saved me so many times. And with the help of it, he is now almost sleeping through and is settling pretty well. I know that I might only create a problem later but so many people have dealt with it, I am sure, he won't have it once he's turned 14 smile.

Not sure what I think about w/e ... my PND is so much worse than during the week. Maybe because I have more time to think. Spem 30 mins in the bedroom crying earlier, feeling so rubbish. All I can think of is if he's going to be happy when he's a grown-up, will he find a nice partner, will he have a good job, will he have lots of friends .As if I am soley responsible for his eternal well being. I have started therapy but have had only 2 sessions so far and we haven't covered that yet. I am absolutley obsessed with him being so short, he's just hanging on to the 9th and every other child, even the younger ones a longer than him. We are no giants with 1,70cm and 1,80cm but he'll be shorter or with a bit of luck the same as I am. That's genes for you. I worried about all the teasing, about girls not being interested about not reaching the top of a shelf.

Apologies, I am losing it. Should probably go to bed, R has a cold and we haven't slept a lot.

Nordicmom Sat 08-Dec-12 22:05:23

Thaleia, I'm sorry you are struggling . I wish I could help. I hope the therapy works for you! You deserve to be happy !!! You doing your best for your child is enough, You are not solely responsible for everything in his life but I know the feeling . Its scary becoming a parent. Its a huge thing . He will be ok , he will be happy . You are doing great smile!!!
Gnomette I think they have the bubbles for sale in the classes.
Henrietta i hope your little one's better soon!
Hug congrats on the boiler being back in action and A being happier. I'm sure he'll get used to the helmet !

HenriettaTurkey Sun 09-Dec-12 01:56:44

Still awake. 5h sleep last night. Looks like same today. hmm

I havent gotten ds2 much for xmas at all, although ds1s bigger presents are technically to share, just ds2 isnt big enough yet (brio and duplo sets)

I've put a photo of my "hair" on the have you seen section (which i've just discovered and am very impressed with grin ), lets see if random mners can tell its a wig... I'm quite self conscious of it atm, feels like everyone knows.... Guess I just need to get used to it...?

Thaleia, have you started counselling yet? Mine is hopefully due to start after xmas smile xx

Thaleia Sun 09-Dec-12 16:51:10

beyond ... I haven't bought R anything yet. He's so small and doesn't know yet, so have to live with all the presis the rest of the family gets him :-)

Yes, I started with CBT and am 2 sessions in. The first was general chat to see if we get on and a bit on my problem and what my background is, e. g. family. I can see how it is supposed to work but it hasn't worked just yet. But I guess 7 months of crap doesn't go away like this. But I am hopeful and optimistic that I'll get there, after having one of the worst outbreaks in recent weeks. I wish that it'll be all in my head but fact is, he REALLY is so short and I am just fearful that I'm not the strong mummy who is able to give him conficence and self esteem to face the world. This is PND speaking but yesterday I thought: If something was wrong with him I had at least a reason to feel that way. And than I spent an hour crying for having such stupid thoughts and if I now have jinxed my happy, healthy child. I am so insecure and scared and you are right Nordic, I never thought being a mum would be like this. How do you survive? And it doesn't end, does it. Our mums are still worried about us and I'm, well, old!!

On a happier note - we have a hight adjustable playpen and he loves it. And I love it too because I don't have to pick him up from the floor all the time so my back isn't killing me as much anymore.

Yesterday i had to bf him at 2am after he would not settle for 30mins. He was a) starving and b) sleeping til 7.30am this morning. I wonder if he eats enough during the day but he went up from the 9th to the 75th percentile for weight, is there no stopping him this way? on the other hand, he's got a cold and wakes up all the time and I guess, if he'd be able to sleep, he wouldn't know that he's hungry. To be fair, it's the first time in 3 weeks that I had to do so.

Enjoy the rest of the evening - only 2 weeks til Xmas!!

Thaleia Sun 09-Dec-12 16:55:42

I need a spell check but my laptop is just sooo slow, I have to wait - like in the old times - til a page opens and there is a delay of what I type. Sigh. I never rains, it pours!

HenriettaTurkey Sun 09-Dec-12 22:20:27

Thaleia, it's very good news that you are having CBT sessions. I had some a few years ago and they still help me when I'm having a tough time. As for worrying about the little one: DH & I certainly do that about DS. Worrying if he sleeps; or if hr doesn't. If he poos or if he doesn't, if he's putting on enough/too much weight. And, my silliest one, if he gets my hair colour slightly ginger) & dh's eyes (d brown)! I think that would be a random combination, lovely for a woman but I worry he'd be teased. How daft am I?

He's still awake, btw. Yesterday he eventually settled at 3am and slept till 5.45am. Then 6.30-8.15.

We are back home now, and the suppositories have done their job (poor wee thing) so hopefully he will stay settled when he goes down.

DH & I are Zombies though. Hayley - you're superwoman dealing with a light sleeper with DP away so much. 2 nights, and all our family around and it was still bloody hard.

Oh, and beyond - your hair looks lovely. Really gorgeous and natural.

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Mon 10-Dec-12 08:30:40

thaleia its great you're having cbt. I think that's what I need for my vomit phobia but I can't have it. Not great really ha!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on the thread but we have an appointment with our gp on thu to ask for a referral for ds1 as his teacher and I think he may have dyspraxia. I have very mild dyspraxia so its possible, ds1 is showing a lot more symptoms than me though. Mine is just spacial awareness is not great (but not so bad I can't drive, more I knock things off shelves, walk into things and can't parrallel park) and I can find it hard to express what is in my head, things come out my mouth wrong and I know how frustrating it can be so I really hope that if ds1 does have it he gets additional support in school.

marshmallowpies Mon 10-Dec-12 23:10:31

Hi everyone...been a bit AWOL as we are in the middle of trying to move house, so life is rather hectic...if all goes well we should be moving a week tomorrow...eek! Very excited about the new house, a proper family home we can grow into, but will miss my dear old house which I renovated on my own before I met DH, and has been such a happy home for me.

Glad that poorly babies are doing ok - mine still a bit snotty & off her food slightly but mostly fine. Hug A looks so sweet in the helmet & hope he continues to cope ok with it, must have been so strange at first.

Thaleia I do hope the CBT goes well, having never had it I don't know much about it, but my friend who had it after PND has just gone back to work (baby just turned 1) and is much more relaxed & happy now.

I'm sure worrying about your child's future is very common - I tend to think about very abstract things like global warming and what if there are no jobs in 20 years time - but I guess we can only do the best we can as parents and focus on the positive stuff we do to make their lives happy!

I've been slightly in the grip of my usual SAD which comes on at this time of year - I hope it doesn't affect DD, but I'm aware I become much more negative in the way I think about myself and fixate on silly things that upset me, end up going over & over stuff I can't change in my mind. It will get better in the Christmas run-up, when things get really busy, but the lull between Christmas and NYE is my worst time of year, such a flat dismal time, I always get very low. Hoping the new house will provide enough stuff to keep me busy then...

JambalayaWarmMincePie Tue 11-Dec-12 06:50:19

Morning all. I have my second KIT day today, so of course DD2 was up all night last night. Matchsticks for my eyes please!!

HollyPockett Tue 11-Dec-12 09:22:40

Morning everyone smile

DD is on the move. Shea crawling backwards which is like watching a comedy show! Quite hilarious. She's eating loads like her mother which is great, but still no lumps! Still snotty but she seems to be fine in herself

Thaleia if it helps, my brother is 5'6 (which is quite short for a man) and has no problems with the ladies smile he's charming and cheeky and confident and that all comes from being brought up in a loving home with a good loving family. You and DH sound exactly that, sonplesse don't worry about DS being short.

Can't quite believe that we're two weeks away from Christmas! DD discovered the tree on Sunday so we're constantly moving her away from the baubles!

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Wed 12-Dec-12 09:53:24

A has his first helmet check up today. He's loads better with it now but gets so excited when its helmet off time.

He's a very happy chappy today. Chattering away, blowing raspberries, rolling around to play with everything he shouldn't and that's not a toy grin.

christmasmummyvicky Wed 12-Dec-12 11:35:35

I'm glad A is getting use to his helmet, how long till you see the results and how long will he have it for?

Goodluck with house move marshmallow how exciting! smile

Thaleia we come from a family of shorty too, my dh is only 5.7 and I'm 5.2. So we don't hold much hope for dd! Hehe, but its never caused us any problems. I do worry about the future for our children- money, jobs, and owning a house!

L is now doing up 10 steps its amazing for someone so small to walk, she hasn't really done it on her own yet, but just between two people. So the bets are on, if she will walk before Xmas? And before her 9 month birthday which is crazy! I never thought Id have this, this early! She was 8m on the 4th December.
sleeping is hit and miss, got 7.5 hrs in a run the other night. Woke up thinking something was wrong. But she just slept through But last night- 8pm bed 2pm then 6am! Still doing a little cc, not sure if working great, sometimes cuddle or bf back to sleep for a easy opinion!

SantasHugandRollintheSnow Wed 12-Dec-12 17:51:59

A's head is "better" by 1mm already! Ok there's 18mm to go but its positive. If it continues like this which I know is no guarantee it will be 4/5 months! Estimate is 7 months so watch this space.

Can you believe, I went to the library today (its huge, main one for Cardiff) and out of my list of 10 books they didn't have one in stock!

HollyPockett Wed 12-Dec-12 18:41:24

Yeay for DS, hug. But boo to rubbish library stocksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now