Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2012 - sunny (ha!) summer babies

(866 Posts)
ImissMiniPop Tue 24-Jul-12 05:24:01

they're starting to arrive, so here's our 'Due in August' post natal thread. To talk poo, pee, burping and everything else, too...

Here's link to antd-natal thread for those we'll be waiting for http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1511603-Due-in-August-Thread-Part-6

Have borrowed Needles list, which I'll start here, please feel free to add your details to it. I'm rubbish at list keeping, and hopefully Needles will be along to keep it updated grin

BIRTHS
tigger8 (?) DC? due 27/7/12, GIRL born 11/7/12
missjemima (?) DC2 BOY due 3/8/12, born 10/7/12
PoppySeed34 (34) DC1 BOY due 4/8/12, born 28/5/12

Love the new name poppy promise I will catch up and start using the new name soon - I'm still about 3 behind blush

gnomi ouch! I had a 3rd dg tear with dd and it was so painful (they cut through my back passage muscle - sorry if tmi!) but luckily no lasting damage. Hope you're getting lots of rest. Some (unwanted?!) advice - try not to stand up for too long / walk too much, if you start to feel like your insides are weighing down and about to drop out you know you're overdoing it! Keep taking the painkillers. If you have a donut cushion it really helps as less painful when you need to sit to bf, otherwise you can roll up a towel into a donut shape and sit on that so it's not too painful. Also - beware not to get constipated (did they give you lactulose?) anal fissures and no 2s can be v painful too. Hopefully if you get enough rest and recover now you won't suffer the longer term effects (incontinence etc!) and make sure you go for the follow ups at the hospital as that was when they recommended a c/s for me 2nd time and so far it's been a much better recovery! x

ps ham with ds and dd i've had cracked and bleeding nips for about the first 10 days as they feed a lot and had powerful sucks... midwives have checked the positioning and it wasn't the latching on. No real tips other than if it's so painful it makes you cry (!) expressing is an option as that hurts a bit less and Sandy will still get breast milk? Hope being home is fun grin

pps gnomi CONGRATULATIONS! x

hamncheese Tue 07-Aug-12 23:32:12

Been feeding and windy on and off for the last 4 hours... Knackered! Giving dh a break to sleep as I feed and feed ahhhh it's a good job the wee mite is so adorable! When do they settle into less frequent feeds? Or is it anyone's guess?

Maybe after this feed he will settle...

Gnomi Wed 08-Aug-12 08:21:40

Did he settle, Ham? It's really hard to know when they've finished, I think they don't know really, either. I can't believe how much Ben has fed overnight - three or four - cant remember - feeds of around 30 minutes. Two nights ago he was happy after 5 minutes! My nipples are quite sore - have you got some Lansinoh?

Thanks for the advice Ishop, they've given me Lactulose, and Fybogel which are having the intended effect. Now the area is quite itchy, which I'm hoping is a sign of healing. I'm also on a course of antibiotics as a preventative measure so I'm hoping the itching isn't thrush - couldn't cope with that right now!

Glad you're having a good recovery this time round, I'd definitely consider CS for DC2 (not that we're remotely close to thinking about it!) xx

Gnomi Wed 08-Aug-12 08:23:31

To update:

BIRTHS
tigger8 (?) DC? due 27/7/12, GIRL born 11/7/12
missjemima (?) DC2 BOY due 3/8/12, born 10/7/12
PoppySeed34 (34) DC1 BOY due 4/8/12, born 28/5/12
Gnomi (29) DC1 BOY due 7/8/12, born 4/8/12

hamncheese Wed 08-Aug-12 08:40:51

Oh my god I can't believe last night. I think I've been a bit naive about how chilled he has been and that it would always be that way. He was awake from 7pm to 4am. Fed on and off the whole time and spent the rest crying. Had a throwing myself on the floor crying from exhaustion episode totally upset dh ahhh it's tough. He finally settled at 4 after yet another feed. Prior to that we changed and I put sudocream on his bum maybe the whole episode was because of uncomfortable bum? Poor poor sandy. We made it though and pocketed 4 hours sleep. Feeding now and hope he will go straight back down after so we can catch up more.

Hope all your nights were more peaceful

MiniPopsMum2012 Wed 08-Aug-12 13:42:41

Hey gnomi x-posted yesterday, congrats & welcome to the PN thread smile

Gnomi Wed 08-Aug-12 14:18:39

Thanks MiniPopsMum - nice to be here smile

Really feel for you Ham, how has he been today? Ben had an episode like that in hospital, midwives totally brilliant and meant I was supported with him throughout but at one point they said, "This is when you'd say to your husband, I need you to take him to Tesco and come back when he's asleep." Can you put him in the car or the pram and see if that soothes him? Ben got himself so worked up he couldn't feed or anything, it was awful. You feel like the world's worst parent, don't you? But everyone is going to go through it or has been through it, many times. I think it's the sleeplessness that's the worst thing. Hope you can catch some zzzs tonight. In the meantime, have a brew or a wine.

hamncheese Wed 08-Aug-12 15:15:30

Thanks gnomi he has been good today so far. Resorted to some bed sharing and lying down feeding so we could all have a nap today. I'm just scared it will be the same tonight eek

Glad you're healing well Gnomi.

Ham you poor thing - rough night to say the least. Gnomi's idea of driving / walking works well to encourage sleep (although you may not want to get Sandy to used to it as you could be in for a lot of late night drives!) white noise also sometimes help (you can download it / buy a cd or try the hoover unless your neighbours are close by - although it could get the smoking man back wink)? Also - might be worth expressing if your boobs get hard again and save the milk so your dh can cover one feed so you get more than 2 hours sleep straight?

Trying to remember when dd started to feed less frequently - from memory i started to get her into a routine of 3 - 4 hour feeds from about 4 weeks old and then after 5-6 weeks would only feed her every four hours. Def helped with the evenings (and being able to plan outings during the day as I'm a bit shy about bf in public).

It does get better, promise!

In other news, we took ds for his first outing today. Obviously to a mall as I live up to my name... think the whole ante natal post natal body must be irking me as went and ordered a lot of gorgeous new nightwear online and went to collect from teh store today. Now all I need is the tummy to deflate and stop bf so they fit!

hamncheese Wed 08-Aug-12 20:38:51

Thanks ishop he has been a lot better today, sleeps for about 3 hours between feeds, just hoping it continues into the night. I think my feeding technique was a bit off as he was sounding quite sucky last night. I think I was too tired to get him totally on right. Doing better now, nipples don't hurt and he is finished after 30 mins and more content. I guess it may well be hard again tonight but I've had sleep today so better prepared.

I think I'm having the baby blues though. Im ok, just feel a bit low, like the joy of getting him home has worn a bit and the reality of last night has made me feel depleted. Hoping this eases in a few days. Going to make point of going out tomorrow, just to aldi and the pharmacy (to see about hemhorroid relief as owwww) down the road but thinking some fresh air and getting a shot of the pram will help this. My DH has been such a star so far. I feel like everything is perfect and scary at the same time arghh emotional mess much eh?

Shopping sounds fun ishop did you have many new baby admirers on your trip? I might want to shop soon too as I can't believe how quickly my body is going back to normal it's only been 5 days but I just look like I have a tiny pot belly now. Also my feet and legs are mostly not swollen now. I keep touching my belly or feeling my waist and finding it so odd that it's there and not bump!!

Here's hoping we won't need to post on here or the feeding support thread in the wee hours tonight

Gnomi Thu 09-Aug-12 10:36:02

I'm glad he's been better today Ham. Hopefully we're getting the hang of feeding too. My nipples are still quite sore and when he latches on it is agony for the first 10 seconds. I think I'll get the midwife to check his latch.

Is anyone else's baby full of mucus? It's all on his chest and in his throat, I feel really sorry for him. I know it's normal but it sounds so uncomfortable for him.

Not left the house yet but I have got dressed today - the first time since coming home!

hamncheese Thu 09-Aug-12 14:36:12

Had a perfect night!!! Fed at 9 slept til 11 fed and slept til 1 fed and slept til 4 and then fed and slept til 7 then we got up but has been in a similar routine throughout the day give or take.

Re latching on and agony nipples gnomi I had this and I think it was stopping him getting a good flow of milk hence the up all night scenario. Midwife said that once you get him latched on well DON'T take your hand off your breast/his head. I was getting him on and then swinging my boob hand under him so the other was free to do stuff but she reckoned though he latched well this then messed up the alignment and he was sucking the nipple and causing pain an cracking. Since this ive done as she said and there is literally no pain and he has been in this super routine. Don't know if it helps but hopefully! Not got mucus here maybe ask midwife?

We had a day of firsts. First bath and first pram trip out. He joined me in the bath and fed while in so he wasn't angry and it worked perfect. I got a towel and wet it and covered him in it and dh poured water over so he kept warm then dh washed him a little and took him out after the feed to dry off while I had a shower smile after that we went to the pharmacy for some relief for my absolutely agonising hemhorroid and sudocream and visited my work where we changed and fed on the go for the first time. Such a happy chap, fingers crossed he will stay this content and easy going

How are things other August mums??

How was your first trip out Ham!? So exciting! Lots of admirers as you passed by? We'll be doing first bath tomorrow as belly button is just about ok now.

Gnomi hope the bf is going ok? Mine was agony for almost 10 days but has calmed down now (just b/c ds has a powerful suck)!.

Hope everyone is ok otherwise. Absolutely exhausted today, dd is like the energiser bunny on acid plus tantrums... thank goodness she's at nursery tomorrow!

MiniPopsMum2012 Thu 09-Aug-12 21:44:59

Gnomi did you have a c section? I can't remember? If so then babies are generally more mucus-y as it's not squeezed out during birth. MiniPop sounds like a dinosaur when he sleeps due to mucus up his nose, it blocks his breathing sometimes, too, but Drs refuse to aspirate him and advised us against trying to do it ourselves (I wouldn't dare), although NeoNatal nurses said I could try and tease some out with cotton bud if I can see it at bottom of nose.

Poor little chap.

Does anyone else's newborn strain a lot to poop or pass wind? grin

Anyone else had Poonami yet? heh heh heh

Hope everyone is recovering well? Ham Glad your trip out when well. We are doing our bath on saturday - MiniPop absolutely hates it.

Gnomi Fri 10-Aug-12 07:46:11

Poonami - lOve the expression, Poppy!!!! Haven't had one yet but lots of wee fountains! Nothing seems to stop him seeing all over the changing mat and, more embarrassingly, twice on the midwife's weighing table! He's lost 7oz which she says is totally normal, and bigger babies (he was 9lb at birth) lose more than smaller babies.

I had ventouse so that might explain some of the mucus. He seems to gradually clearing it out though. I'd definitely be too scared to syringe it out of him.

Glad things are so much better Ham, we've had two nights of sleeping for 4 hours, then an hour feeding, then another 3-4 hour sleep. Amazing! I don't move much while he's feeding but I think he just has a very powerful suck. Left breast was engorged yesterday and right is today, so hopefully things will soon settle down.

Hope to have our first trip out today - just a walk around the local park but need to learn how to attach car seat to buggy first. DH's parents are visiting and then I'm having rare steak for my birthday dinner! Can't wait, it's one thing I really missed while pregnant!

hamncheese Fri 10-Aug-12 08:10:43

Yes we had a great time out. No random admirers as he had the hood on the pram right up was so stubby so you couldn't see him. He wore blue stripes which looks incredibly adorable with his blonde hair grin took him to my work which is just around the corner everyone loved him

Going to the doc today though so going to try my sling and get these Hemhorroids sorted seriously so sore I couldn't sleep last night despite being knackered. And here was me thinking it'd be the episiotomy and tearing that would cause pain but it's almost better it sore at all now.

Enjoy your trip out gnomi and bath time ishop

hamncheese Fri 10-Aug-12 08:11:00

Sunny, not stubby!

Happy Birthday Gnomi thanks hope you enjoy that steak sounds yummmmmmmy!

Ham hope the doc helps you out. We've yet to assemble the pram for our walks hmm took it out yesterday and seemed so tricky and we were exhausted so put it back in box unassembled! Your colleagues must've been besotted!

Minipop - see I'm catching up on the names wink no poonami (or nappy explosion as I used to call it with dd) lol but like gnomi lots of peeing in the air and all over changing mat... never had that problem with dd lol! Also he strains lots with gas to poo / fart something out and was in a lot of pain for about an hour at 6am today trying to get the gas out (winding only worked a bit), poor thing squashes himself up and his lil face goes all red as he pushes!

Must assemble pram today. DS is being rather good. DD is clearly suffering as I can't pick her up so her facourite thing to do is to cry and scream and shout mummy and noooooooooo no matter what we say to her, try to calm her down or cuddle her. Can't wait for another 4 weeks to pass so I can pick her up and try and get her back to her usual happy self sad.

MiniPopsMum2012 Sat 11-Aug-12 22:58:25

Happy Birthday Gnomi hope you had a great time. smile

Does anyone have any tips for sharp baby fingernails and how to get rid of them? Minipop has a really bad habit of grabbing himself and then scratching his arms/faces/eyes/mouth - which equals screaming and crying... confused

Loupee Sun 12-Aug-12 02:51:14

Happy birthday gnomi hope you had a great day.
Up doing the night feed just now, struggling to stay awake. Although had a comedy moment where Aaron came off the boob, but milk was still spraying! Doesn't do much for my confidence foe breast feeding in public.
minipopsmum I just use baby nail clippers, do one hand at a time while feeding, seems to work alright. Need to get round to doing his toenails, can't believe how fast their nails grow.

hamncheese Sun 12-Aug-12 07:02:51

Ah I couldn't bring myself to cutting his nails yet... Too scared i will cut too much. Sandy likes to gab his face with his hand and end up with a finger in each eye, nostril and one in his mouth it's very amusing but does end in little ace scratches.

He is still sleeping perfect in the at but at night he gets so seemingly windy. I think he is kidding in though cause as soon as he is in mum and dads bed he is fine hmm must be the comfort he wants.

I've fed in public twice now, once on a bench walking home from the doctor and once in tesco cafe yesterday it all went well. Found best discreet clothing to be a vest that pulls down over boob and a top that pulls up so his head fills the gap smile

hamncheese Sun 12-Aug-12 07:04:00

At = day
Ace = shouldn't be there
Me = sucks at one hand typing

Well done on the public feeding ham - am totes in awe of you. Lots of my friends do / have done but I always feel so nervous, is it better the more you do it? You can buy bf aprons too which one of my friends had from John Lewis and she used that everywhere like this

I haven't cut ds' nails but usually wait for them to sort of splinter and then pull them off gently.

Like Sandy - ds is v windy, particularly at night. He really has to squeeze hard to get his farts out and we wind a lot for the burps. Yesterday we had to get him circumcised for religious reasons sad sad sad he has coped with it soooo well brave lil soldier (better than me I think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now