Atheists on belief threads. Why?

(411 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Thu 21-Mar-13 22:55:59

While there are sometimes interesting threads where atheists and believers discuss and debate religion, it seems to me that increasingly atheists only come onto threads here to poopoo or disrespect the beliefs of others.

Am I right about this and if not then what is the reasoning behind the posts where atheists call the beliefs of others rubbish etc?

Cooroo Tue 26-Mar-13 14:27:35

I'm an atheist but irresistibly drawn to religious discussions/debates. I know many people who have no faith and are just not interested. I find religious belief fascinating, so I like to read what people are saying. I think they are misguided, but it's all interesting.

technodad Tue 26-Mar-13 22:41:06
sieglinde Wed 27-Mar-13 08:07:21

Cote, sorry, but the Templar trials were waaay later than the so-called Dark Ages. Are you now saying the whole of the Middle Ages are the dark ages?

crescentmoon England Wed 27-Mar-13 08:14:23

"The Florida pastor who has threatened to burn the Quran has unwittingly evoked some of the worst moments in Western history, Strenski says.

When a group of people conquered another, they often sought to destroy their victims’ sacred books. The Spanish conquistadors and Christian missionaries, for example, destroyed the sacred books of the Mayans; American slaveholders tried to destroy the African religion of slaves.

Desecrating a people’s sacred book is like “destroying their soul; you destroy their sense of who they are,” Strenski says.

“It’s about controlling memory,” Strenski says. “You can oppress people. You can beat them down, but if they can retain some kind of memory of who they were before you beat them down, they can pass that on and when the time is right rise up again.

The notion of burning a Quran was so offensive to one religious scholar that he drew on his own personal history.

Van Gorder, the religion professor at Baylor University, says that Nazis not only murdered millions of Jews. They also burned Torahs.

“As a German-American,” he says, “I rue that the day of burning books has come to my own ‘civilization.’ "

articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-27/world/35491373_1_afghan-soldiers-koran-burnings-criminal-charges

crescentmoon England Wed 27-Mar-13 08:24:03

(my post was responding to the Tim Minchin clip technodad posted.)

infamouspoo Wed 27-Mar-13 08:37:15

'If you don't see much historical evidence of creativity, scientific exploration, and myriad forms of art during the Dark Ages, that is simply because there wasn't much of it happening.'

Oh there was. In the rest of the world. The Persian empire, North Africa, India, China. You know, outside Europe. Which they considered a bit of a smelly backwater at that time wink

seeker Wed 27-Mar-13 09:03:12

That must be wrong, infamous- they aren't Christian countries, are they..........?grin

infamouspoo Wed 27-Mar-13 09:06:18

d'oh. Silly me. Forgot they didnt have inventions, culture or anything really until Christians showed up and civillised them all wink

sieglinde Wed 27-Mar-13 13:46:14

Sorry, infamous - when have the Dark Ages been moved to now? They seem to have moved around quite a bit.

Last time I looked, Byzantium was in Europe during them. Has that changed now?

PedroPonyLikesCrisps Wed 27-Mar-13 19:41:14

Bit of research suggests the dark ages are a bit ambiguous in definition. Originally applied to the period from the 6th to 13th centuries, but since the 20th century it tends to be applied to the 5th to 10th centuries. However, scholars tend to avoid the term due to its arbitrary nature!

sieglinde Thu 28-Mar-13 10:55:59

Yes, but earlier upthread the dark Ages had made their way into the fifteenth century...

Can I just say Byzantium again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now