I have a baby crow in my utility room

(222 Posts)
SarahStratton Mon 13-Jun-11 23:47:42

Next door's cat got it. It has an injured (not broken) wing. It's going to the vets in the morning.

It needs a name. Ideas please.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Tue 02-Aug-11 23:11:54

Glad to hear he is still recovering.

SarahStratton Mon 08-Aug-11 23:59:07

Major update: Mortimer is starting to talk!

AncientsOfMuMu Wed 10-Aug-11 20:42:18

"Hello Mortimer, pretty polly" grin

peggotty Wed 10-Aug-11 20:44:37

That's fab!! What is he saying?!?!

peggotty Fri 16-Sep-11 19:26:38

Could we have an update on Mortimer sarahstratton? Have you still got him?

SantasStrapon Wed 07-Dec-11 19:24:02

Quick update: Mortimer is still with me. His tail feathers have grown back, but he is still not flying. I'm hoping this is purely because he needs to moult and grow new flight feathers, as his were trimmed at the vets when his wing was treated.

He is well, and happy, and still causing havoc. He has learnt a few words and likes to shout at my neighbours. Poor neighbour. She goes out in the garden and as soon as she starts speaking she gets this:

"Susan, Susan, SUSAN. Arrrrrrrrrrrrkkkk". Followed by much stomping and muttering under his breath.

He loves DD2 and sits on her lap and croons to her. Occasionally, if she's really honoured, he will try and stuff a fat pellet in her ear. Fortunately, she is equally besotted, and a tolerant little person. Her aim in life is to be a Forensic Detective. She is planning on taking Mortimer to university with her.

I am not so sure about that plan. confused

VivaLeBeaver Wed 07-Dec-11 22:09:49

Sarah, I never knew you had a raven and am totally envy

I want one, he sounds lovely. Does he poo in the house when he's roaming about?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 07-Dec-11 22:11:13

And do you think he'll ever go back to the wild or is he too tame now?

SantasStrapon Wed 07-Dec-11 22:58:52

I'm not sure Viva. He is very tame with us, but only us. If anyone else comes into his garden - and believe me, it is his garden - he becomes very wary and very territorial. I would love for him to be able to fly and become a proper wild raven, but the vet thinks we probably have him for life.

He's not allowed in the house, he is very destructive, and would probably eat LittleDog. He is certainly more than capable of killing him.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 07-Dec-11 23:02:10

Didn't realise they could be so destructive. I've just been watching the nevermore YouTube video, very funny.

SantasStrapon Wed 07-Dec-11 23:06:11

The 'wacka wacka wacka' one? I love that, I've tried teaching him that, but he prefers to shout abuse at our neighbour. blush

VivaLeBeaver Wed 07-Dec-11 23:20:48

That's the one - wacka, wacka, wacka. I'm going to be looking out for injured baby ravens and crows next spring!

SantasStrapon Wed 07-Dec-11 23:40:14

grin

maxybrown Thu 08-Dec-11 22:01:36

ooh do keep posting, have just sat and read the whole thread to Dh, we loved it grin he thinks Mortimer is a fantastic name and is extremly jealous (not that his name is not Mortimer, but that you have a raven and he does not!)

VivaLeBeaver Thu 08-Dec-11 22:09:59
Catsmamma Thu 08-Dec-11 22:14:46

oh i am sooooo envious! i adore crows and ravens.

Mortimer sounds amazing!

MrsChristmasDB Fri 09-Dec-11 17:13:40

Sarah,

I love your story.

I know you had told me you had a Mortimer, but to read this was just lovely.

SantasStrapon Sun 11-Dec-11 20:19:41

Thank you MrsDB. He is a joy to have in the family. DD2 has a tendancy to depression and overthinking things, and Mortimer has been a fantastic help to her. They are so close, and she sits and talks to him, plays with him, and draws a lot of confidence from him.

MrsChristmasDB Sun 11-Dec-11 22:06:50

Sarah,

The relationship between a child and any animal/bird is always so special, I think. 'They' have a way of helping each other, in a way, odd as that may sound.

I am so pleased to hear how much joy he has brought you all.

I'm feeling very soppy tonight. ('scuse)

Stratters Sun 01-Apr-12 15:03:40

I think Mortimer may have a girlfriend. Or a boyfriend, it's impossible to tell. Maybe he will obligingly lay an egg so I can tell.

Anyway, a crow has been hanging around the garden for the last couple of days. Perhaps it fancies Mortimer? hmm

What lovely news.

I listened to a lovely programme on R4 a few weeks ago about Corvids and how they mate for life. Now when I see all our local crows/rooks/ravens coming home to roost of an evening, I notice that they do tend to sit together in pairs.

Sweeeet.

I trust the suitor is suitable?

He came to you a few days before my 20th birthday (16th june) and the day DD was born (17th june) smile

It'll be his birthday soon then grin

What does he say now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now