I have a baby crow in my utility room

(222 Posts)
SarahStratton Mon 13-Jun-11 23:47:42

Next door's cat got it. It has an injured (not broken) wing. It's going to the vets in the morning.

It needs a name. Ideas please.

cakesandale Tue 14-Jun-11 10:23:02

Aw, I bet he's gorgeous! Keep us posted on how he's getting on. I quite fancy a pet crow. I'd even make the shepherd's pie regularly.

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 11:35:53

He's spending the afternoon at the Vets. They are going to give him a bath, clean his battle wounds and give him some antibiotics. Then he is coming back to me to recuperate in his dog crate.

And he's a raven apparently, not a crow. Vet said their tails were different. He's rather nice, sat on my finger and ate some mince grin

KurriKurri Tue 14-Jun-11 11:41:23

Wow a raven - that is special, how lovely to have him as a house guest for a while smile I'm actually quite envy

AtYourCervix Tue 14-Jun-11 11:51:25

how regal.

Taghain Tue 14-Jun-11 12:04:39

A raven? I'm really impressed. Where in the country do you live?
They are quite tameable too, like the ones in the Tower of London.

Actually, I'm more than impressed, I'm jealous.

cakesandale Tue 14-Jun-11 12:05:39

A raven! Wow! Let me know if you ever need a babysitter (offer only extends to Mortimer)

keep Tue 14-Jun-11 12:08:08

Great news that he is doing well.

AtYourCervix Tue 14-Jun-11 12:12:14

does he look like this?

KurriKurri Tue 14-Jun-11 12:36:47

I think we need photos if he would care to pose. (I can run you up a Beefeater costume if you like)

allhailtheaubergine Tue 14-Jun-11 12:55:46

Oh BigHairyLeggedSpider - I truly thought I was the only person in the world who finds dolphins sinister and creepy and uuurgghhhh and <shudder>

So nice to know at least one other person can see them for what they really are.

LolaRennt Tue 14-Jun-11 12:58:01

I only clicked on this because I thought it said cow not crow. You shoudl name it Bessie or Daisy

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 19:56:44

Photo of Mortimer is now on my profile. He has a small fracture in his wing and is feeling slightly sorry for himself. Not enough to prevent him eating though. Greedy fecker.

Taghain Tue 14-Jun-11 20:02:59

He or she is handsome but we need a profile picture, too. Lucky woman that you are.

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 20:08:42

Of me, Tag? That's me in the hat. Mortimer is the one with the big red bandage wink

Taghain Tue 14-Jun-11 20:15:00

I guessed. Yes, you are rather very good-looking but since I outed myself today I can't really say so.

KurriKurri Tue 14-Jun-11 20:16:20

He/she is beautiful Sarah.

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 20:24:03

Outed yourself? hmm How/where/why etc etc?

Thank you Kurri, he's adorable tbh.

LolaRennt Tue 14-Jun-11 20:34:35

Can we rename him Edgar as he is raven?

AtYourCervix Tue 14-Jun-11 20:36:23

he looks brilliant. can you teach him to talk? is he yours forever or will you be able to release him again?

we had a seagul at one point when i was little. he flew off eventually.

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 20:47:29

Vet said she would be surprised if he could fly well enough to live in the wild. That worried me, but she said that they adapt extremely well to living in captivity and he is young enough for it not to be a problem. Apparently, they are quite easy to teach to talk. If they learn by copying he will be fluent by next week. We talk a lot in this house.

I wanted to call him Edgar Allen really badly, but the DDs want to call him Mortimer sad

onclefestere Tue 14-Jun-11 20:49:29

ooh Edgar Allan Crow is a good name...lucky crow finding someone nice to help him grin

AtYourCervix Tue 14-Jun-11 20:50:30

Mortimer better for a raven. Edgar for a crow.

you must get him to sit on your shoulder and say pieces of 8 or something.

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 20:51:28

Hee hee hee look

SummerRain Tue 14-Jun-11 20:58:34

envy I've always wanted a pet raven

So what will you teach him to say first?

Corvids are among the cleverest animals on the planet apparently so you could have your hands full grin

SarahStratton Tue 14-Jun-11 21:01:19

Well he will already climb onto my hand and walk up my arm. That's after less than one day. I'm saying his name a lot to him, I'd like him to know his name. He's going to have a big, big cage in the kitchen once he can. At the moment he has to stay in the dog crate as he needs to be restricted so he can't hurt his injured wing.

He will hear lots in the kitchen. Not sure if that will be good or bad confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now