Has there ever been a food pedanrty thread in here before?

(222 Posts)
StNiChaolas Mon 17-Dec-12 09:19:24

Inspired by Morrison's claim that vegetarians should spice up their Christmas dinner with a Naice 3 Fish Roast from their Fishminger.

hmm

Tomatoes and cucumber arre fruit.

Roobarb is a dog.

Okra is bleurgh.

You must eat a doughnut without lickling your lips.

Aspargus and cutlery are not friends.

Marathons were far superior to Snickers.

FellatioNelson Wed 19-Dec-12 10:59:14

I don't think Americans really understand cheese to be honest. grin

Ugh, 'cuppa' makes me feel ill too.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 19-Dec-12 11:09:04

You're right, Fellatio.

ethelb Wed 19-Dec-12 11:14:20

"Tomatoes and cucumber arre fruit."

Do you know how thick this one makes you sound?

There is no botanic difference between a fruit and a vegetable.

Yes they are fruit (as well as vegetables) but why stop there?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Dec-12 11:29:57

>There is no botanic difference between a fruit and a vegetable

There can be. Some vegetables are not fruits. Some are roots, tubers, stalks. In the case of rhubarb, we have a 'fruit' that isn't a fruit. grin

>I don't think Americans really understand cheese to be honest
Very few do. We lived there and found a deli which had a Stilton. I'm pretty sure we were the only people who ever had any of it before it got totally past it (but still sadly on display).

I was always rather worried by the pizze etc claiming to be topped with '100% real cheese' ... or rather, by those without this wording, WTF was the yellowish rubbery stuff on them? confused

TunipTheVegedude Wed 19-Dec-12 11:37:46

My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires, and more slow

<irrelevant>

HaveYourselfAMardyLittleXmas Wed 19-Dec-12 11:41:06

Don't hold back ethel confused It's a light-hearted thread.

ethelb Wed 19-Dec-12 11:41:31

But there is no botanic definition for a vegetable! It is a purely culinary term. And people spout that shit about tomatoes being fruits as though they are scientific genii (sp).

HaveYourselfAMardyLittleXmas Wed 19-Dec-12 11:42:33

Still no need to call someone thick even if it is Chaos. Just make your point without being snippy.

ethelb Wed 19-Dec-12 11:44:41

@ladyclarice that reminds me of the time I was sold olives in basil paste. With garlic.

StNiChaolas Wed 19-Dec-12 13:12:59

And a Happy New Year to you, too ethelb.

smile

StNiChaolas Wed 19-Dec-12 13:13:31

Comma.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 19-Dec-12 13:43:42

ethelb, sorry, I don't get the olives/basil thing ...

[slow on uptake]

nickelbabylyinginamanger Wed 19-Dec-12 13:53:04

grin

poor chaolas. sad

mum2twoloudbabies Wed 19-Dec-12 14:11:47

Now I understand the mince rinsing <boak>

amberleaf with you on the gravy have never used gravy browning but always wondered what on earth it was for because my gravy is perfectly good without it.

ethelb confused and I am f*confused

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Dec-12 14:13:03

>But there is no botanic definition for a vegetable! It is a purely culinary term. And people spout that shit about tomatoes being fruits as though they are scientific genii (sp).

But there is a botanic definition of a fruit. Problem that the word fruit is used loosely to mean 'sweet edible plant thing' and vegetable is 'savory edible plant thing' (more or less). So I think its as inaccurate to say 'There is no botanic difference between a fruit and a vegetable' as to say that tomatoes are fruit not veg.

Now, this being a pedantry thread, we have to query 'scientific genii'. Is that a genie who emerges from an electric lamp? grin Using latin plurals wrongly looks a bit thick

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Dec-12 14:15:54

>tomatoes are fruit not veg
and in case that's not clear, tomatoes are botanically fruit but colloquially/in culinary terms vegetables. So its scientificall correct to say they are fruit but incorrect to say therefore they are not veg. Logic fail.

'Snacky tea' that's another one that makes me shudder.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Wed 19-Dec-12 14:20:33

aham.

The botanical definition of a fruit is an organ that contains seeds, protecting these as they develop and often aiding in their dispersal. This may be at odds with everyday usage of the word "fruit." Botanically, pineapples, oranges, and apples are fruits, but so too are "vegetables" like tomatoes and cucumbers. The pods that contain peas and beans are fruits, as are the dry, inedible structures that bear the seeds of many wild plants.

Read more: www.biologyreference.com/Fo-Gr/Fruits.html#ixzz2FVX14gj1

booge Wed 19-Dec-12 15:13:07

Why has no one defended English Mustard, I can't eat a sausage or ham sandwich without it. It's the only thing.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 19-Dec-12 15:19:22

I hereby maintain that whether a tomato is a fruit or vegetable, or one masquerading as the other, once in a domestic setting it has No Place within a refrigerator.

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 19:17:00

I agree, booge. English mustard is a wonderful, irreplaceable condiment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now