that " book in a party bag " idea some CLOT had once

(232 Posts)
Frivol Tue 12-May-09 19:02:57

well it goes down very badly here.
My kids like books.

they like parties

they like party bags

they dont like them mixing.

a party bag BEST case scenario is sweets, with a football keyring( who has keys aged 6?!) if you haev to.

Don't forget the fact that most books won't fit in party bags so you have to wrap them separately!

I am overjoyed that dd (Yr 7) says that a slice of cake is all she gets at parties now...

Doodle2U Tue 12-May-09 19:08:40

I wondered that about the keyring - my children love keyrings. We have boxes of the wretched things. We have great strands of them attached to book-bags. We have them dangling off wardrobe knobs, coat hooks and one on the cat flap. Alas, no keys.

And plastic whistles that don't work - equally loved and treasured.

yappybluedog Tue 12-May-09 19:08:58

party bags are FUN, especially if filled with plastic tat

pointydog Tue 12-May-09 19:09:28

I think we can safely say it goes down badly in 80% of the country

MintyyAeroEgg Tue 12-May-09 19:11:14

Water pistol. Or hair slides. A few celebrations. A piece of cake. Its not difficult.

squeaver Tue 12-May-09 20:56:54

Agree - never have I seen my dd so disappointed as when she opened the party bag to find a Dr Seuss book.

"there's not even any bubbles" she wailed.

janeite Tue 12-May-09 21:02:10

Bubbles are good.

Books are good for parents and for ease of purchase but not fully appreciated by barbarian children who want sugar-loading.

We tended to go for the notebook and pen route; or bracelet and hairclips; never did master the art of party bags for boys though.

IlanaK Tue 12-May-09 21:20:47

I will confess to the book in a party bag idea being always in the back of my mind. However, I have yet to succumb!

I am currently planning a joint party for my ds1 and 2 who will be 5 and 8. It is an "explorer" party in the park. I am using black organza pull tie bags and will be putting in a notebook and pencil, a length of rope, a homemade cloth map and a toy swiss army knife (brought over from the US as they are not available over here). Thoughts?

Frivol Tue 12-May-09 21:26:59

no way
just bung in a bag of skittles

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 09:32:40

Don't forget the cyanide pills Ilana

islandofsodor Wed 13-May-09 09:46:11

We love books in party bags and I hgave often provided one. I get them for 80p from a party bag company. There is a range of titles from fairy tales to traditional children's stories, town and country mouse was the last one. Or Mr Men/Thomas type book people books. For older ones the paperback sets fit nicely in.

For ds's party bag this year there was for boys a book, parachute man, fortune teller fish thing, grabber gun and a piece of cake. The girls had the book, fish, bracelet and hair bobble. They cost about £2.20.

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 09:48:20

Its wanky. And smugness.

sweets, a yoyo and an unblown up balloon (wtf is the balloon all about? You have to have one tho)

Oddly, I've never had a party bag yet wiht a book in and my oldest is 9! Obv I move in chav circles. Am yet to get a gold earring, a baseball cap and a staffy in a party bag, so I'm not quite there

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 09:49:13

and can we not use the word CLOT in thread titles? It makes me think of bleeding after childbirth

<punch> to OP for that.

islandofsodor Wed 13-May-09 09:49:35

I blow the ballons up and put them on a stick first. They bash each other with them at the end of the party. I forgot they all had a ballon and a sticker too.

JRocks Wed 13-May-09 09:50:35

DS had a toothbrush in a party bag for two years running from the same family. It's great thinking, but he wasn't impressed grin

Greensneeze Wed 13-May-09 09:51:24

what the hell is a grabber gun?

seeker Wed 13-May-09 09:56:50

The most popular thing I ever put in a party bag, bizarrely was little jars of jam (the sort you get in cafes) I saw them on a market stall and chucked them in as an afterthought (on top of the bubbles, sweets and plastic tat) It was 3 years ago and ds's friends still occasionally mention it with a nostalgic smile.

Lancelottie Wed 13-May-09 10:17:36

Boys' bags:
Mini torch (50p or so)
Inflatable saxophone/tyrannosaurus/aeroplane
Chocolate

jeee Wed 13-May-09 10:33:48

Best idea I saw on MN was whoopee cushions - wonderfully vulgar

Lancelottie Wed 13-May-09 10:43:30

WE NOW HAVE ENOUGH WHOOPEE CUSHIONS FOR A LIFETIME THANK YOU!
[Anyone want one?]
[blrrrrrt]

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 10:55:42

""there's not even any bubbles" she wailed. "

that is tragic! and it IS wanky
adn superior

MamaG Wed 13-May-09 11:47:06

I actually LOVE party bags
I think the worst thing is to go to a party and be handed a balloon on the way out WITHOUT a party bag

I get as excited as teh DC about rootling through them when we get home blush

My DS1 (4) sorts through DS2's (2) party bags, telling him that things are "too old" for him or "will make him poorly", thus stashing them away for himself.

I have had to put a stop to it.

Frivol Wed 13-May-09 12:30:45

yes the brothers shout " anything good in that party bag"
"no just a Book "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now