Using cutlery the wrong way round...

(56 Posts)
Gravitygirl Mon 29-Mar-10 18:11:07

H and I had a huge row at the weekend over our dc eating with the cutlery.
H eats with his fork in the left hand and knife in the right, I hate it and now the kids have started copying.He says he has eaten like that for most of his life, despite dinners being withold and being banished to his room for not eating correctly, he is adament he could not use the knife and fork the other way round.
I dont want my children eating like that, he called me a snob, Im not , I just dont want them to get picked on for eating the wrong way round.
Does anyone think it is a physical impossibility or something that needs perserverance or should I just let them eat how they like incase they cant eat the correct way, is there a correct way? or is it ettiquette?

Help!

usualsuspect Wed 30-Nov-11 20:39:03

grin you still feel the same then smaka grin

smackapacca Wed 30-Nov-11 20:52:20

Apparently so!

I'm no troll - at least my story is straight. grin

Methe Wed 30-Nov-11 20:57:03

I know this is an old post but DH uses his knife and fork the wrong way round and it pisses me the fuck off.

I wont let the DC do it the way I tell them too. Practise makes perfect and it need to be perfect for when they have tea with the Queen. Innit.

needanewname Wed 30-Nov-11 20:57:28

Smaca gringringringrin

mumeeee Thu 01-Dec-11 09:11:12

A lot of people use their cutlery that way round. One of my nieces does. Your children will not get laughed at.

2kidsintow Sat 03-Dec-11 09:48:14

My DH holds his cutlery opposite to what I was taught to do.
(Mind you, he also lifts his plate right up to his chin if not eating at the table, or ducks his head down for each mouthful if we are and persists with eating with only his fork if he can get away with it. It is an improvement though, because when I first got together with him he would have slices of bread with every meal specifically so he could make a sandwich out of my lovingly cooked meal and therefore eat without any cutlery at all. )

My DCs are now copying him and he is being an arse about it adamant that they can eat whatever way they wish. If they used them well then it wouldn't bother me, but both of mine are right handed. They copy him, then end up trying to hold the food still with their knife and pulling a mouthful off with their fork instead of holding the food with their fork and cutting with their knife.

I wasn't brought up to particularly believe that cutlery should go a certain way, but I believe that kids find it easier if they hold their knife in their dominant hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now