Those of you who put newborns down to sleep at 7pm-ish...

(52 Posts)

How long do they sleep for? I've always thought that "sleeping through the night" for a newborn is 5 hours unbroken sleep, so if they go down at 7pm, that means them being awake again at midnight. And then what happens if/when they do wake up?

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity as my DD (who is now a strapping toddler) would never go to sleep that early in the evening. She would cluster feed during the evening and would eventually go to sleep at about 11.30-midnight. Even when she was a bit older (6 months or so), any sleep she had before about 9pm would turn out to be a 40 minute nap, then she'd wake up and be awake for another couple of hours. It has taken a long time and a lot of patience to get her to go to sleep (and stay asleep) in the early evening.

I guess this is where the phrase every baby is different comes in, but I do remember feeling a bit in awe of my friends whose babies went to sleep at 7pm and stayed asleep.

Mine slept 7pm-6am with feeds at 6.30pm, 10-11pm, and 2-3am, when he was being 90% BF (he normally had one bottle feed a day when he was small). Did that from about 3 weeks till he was 5 months, then he stopped the 2-3am feed, and then at 6 months dropped the 10pm feed.

Mine have all stayed with me for all naps and until i go to bed until aroud 6-7 months. dc5 is 8 months now and just recently started having her nap in another downstairs room and goes up to her cot at around 8pm. She sleeps from 8-11 has a feed then has another feed at 4. After this feed she normally just falls asleep in our bed. She is breastfed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now