Kids unlimited....

(87 Posts)
Tiasmummy Wed 06-Jul-05 07:40:10

Hiya. Has anybody had any experience with this branch of nursery? They just rang me and said they have some sessions available. Have been to visit and it looks nice....well expensive though!!

Any opinions on it?

Cheersxx

hermioneweasley Wed 29-Dec-10 13:39:12

my son went to the KU nursery in leeds and it was brilliant. I have to say i think it's down to the staff though as opposed to KU. What really struck me when we visited was the manager showed us around and she knew every child and hte older ones were running up and cuddling her. my DS was incredibly happy there (and several friends send their kids too).

dids35 Wed 29-Dec-10 16:11:57

Hi,
Lots of Kidsunlimited nurseries have male workers and yes they do change nappies and toilet children. All staff leave the door open when changing children as it safeguards themselves so no allegation can ever be made.

marysia Thu 06-Jan-11 13:54:58

Hi, does anyone have a child at Ku in Manchester, at Macintosh Village? I have a 1year old child and i'm looking for a good nursery. I've been to KU this morning and my first impresion wasn't good. Like some mums said the staff looked bored, messy rooms...

Please help.

jane85 Sun 09-Jan-11 18:47:00

Hi,
I am a primary school teacher have two children attending this nursery. I can say without a doubt that the staff are dedicated to creating a happy and engaging environment for my children. The atmosphere is always positive and my children are kept busy throughout the day with a range of activities. I would say the rooms can appear messy while children are engaged in activities during the sessions, but this just means that the children are accessing the resources that are available and having fun with them! I would be more worried if I walked into a room full of children and it was spotless! I can only praise the hard work that goes into caring for and educating my children at this nursery! Talk to the nursery about your concerns-they are very approachable!

cinpin Mon 10-Jan-11 20:25:12

After working in nurseries temping , Iknow most of these diaries are made up at the end of the day because they cannot remember.You cannot always write it down as you go along.

ann33 Thu 03-Feb-11 00:32:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

vis Thu 03-Feb-11 22:34:53

this is to ann3

I presume you have put your concerns in writing esp. about visitors onto nursery site etc?

Have you also contacted Ofsted re your concerns re accidents etc?

IF not could I ask why not?

dids35 Fri 04-Feb-11 13:25:28

ann3

My children are at kidsunlimited Didsbury and love it there.I have had no problems. There is a mix of young and mature staff, perhaps in the room your child was in there were younger staff? I know they have a 2 month notice period but they explain that when you sign up.Could the nursery worker have had their own child there and the boyfriend been picking him up? I know there is a few staff who's children go there.

veejaay Mon 07-Feb-11 00:56:08

Has anyone had any experience of the branch in islington? it's new and looks great but you never know. i am of the mindset that it's all about money first.

AKMD Mon 14-Feb-11 11:16:37

I visited my local KU as the website looked really good. I was appalled. I walked into the baby room and it was like zombie land, with the babies and toddlers standing dotted around the room, staring into space, while one member of staff was in the kitchen and the other two were chatting on the sofa. The cots were in the main play room and when I asked about nap times, they said that the babies were just put down to sleep when they go tired - so how were they meant to sleep properly with other children playing around them and bright lights? The outdoor equipment was faded and dated and I was told that the babies hardly ever went outside. Awful.

I have since met up with an old schoolfriend who used to work there and she said it was just like that - the staff didn't really care, didn't play with the children much and were basically babysitting.

That was the Luton branch.

Bestmalecarer Thu 17-Feb-11 20:38:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dof2 Sun 03-Apr-11 07:58:25

TiggyD, you posted a comment/suggestion on Sat 13-Mar-10 21:09:01 - Have you tried threats?

This is not the way to handle a situation and by the very fact that you have admittance that you are 'not a fan of big chain nurseries', clearly demonstrates your negative bias toward them. Threatening anyone is immature and does not address concerns you may (justified or unjustified) in an appropriate or mature way.

I personally think others will read your comments (as I did) and immediately recognise this is the WRONG way to take up an issue. Simply ask for a meeting and an opportunity to talk to the manager (or a senior manager) about your concerns.

You have a lot to learn about how to deal with people/business and your advice to date is questionable!

TiggyD Sun 03-Apr-11 19:04:04

@*dof2* - YummyMummy said:
"I find my daughter sobbing and left alone on her induction day. We even didnt start yet and they told me that I signed contract and Im obligated to give them 2 mnts notice. I think its absolutely terrible that they make you sign the contract and pay the sign in fee before you even try they nursery."

I suggested:
"Have you tried threats?
Tell them if they insist you pay you will write a letter saying how in your opinion they're terrible and that you'll post on Mumsnet and other forums and put off as many potential customers as possible."

In short I suggested she do what anybody should do when faced with bad service and that's not to just accept it but to make a fuss. Complain. Go to the newspapers. Tell everybody you know. Write to watchdog.

TiggyD Sun 03-Apr-11 19:06:30

I see from your other post that you work for Kids Unlimited dof2.

"Hi,

go and have a look at the new Kidsunlimited nursery in Esher, it certainly has a WOW factor and the team were lovely. "

NatH1988 Wed 01-Jun-11 18:30:30

Hi, we are just about to enrole our daughter into a Kids Unlimited Nursery, and they are running a promotion where if you are recommended by someone who already uses the nursery that person gets £50 off their fees and we would get the joining fee waved. As we dont know anyone who is already enroled just wondered if anyone is interested, nothing dodgy just thought we could save someone £50. if interested just email me prosonixs@hotmail.com.
cheers Nat x

ptolemy Wed 01-Jun-11 22:34:15

wow i have never seen so many name changes in one thread to make out like kids unlimited is the best nursery chain out there

the lengths some places will go to because the service they offer is not good enough is just wow heres a thought improve your service and you wouldnt have to name change so many times to try and "prove" your nursery chain is the "best"

Ispy1 Tue 07-Jun-11 23:10:36

I have been working as an early years cover staff in various nurseries across London, for more than 3 years dues to university commitments. I am 26 years old with a degree and working with young children is my passion. I have been working in the early years field for 9 years and I wish I could advice every parent in selecting a nursery. I have been SO SAD!! And disappointed at how those ‘nurseries’ who claim to be providing high quality practice!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be very careful where you place your child particularly ‘private nurseries’ , this includes ‘kidsunlimited’ which I have worked in many times. I am not going into detail of what I have seen and experience, because it’s so appalling that I would put you off. I must say there are many nurseries that are great, however, the point is that no child should experience what I have seen in many nurseries, no matter how much the fees are!!!
These are some of the things you should question and watch out!! Nurseries that have
• Many, young staff (16,17....) they pay them very low wages and normally charge parents very high fees. The highest I was told by a worker was £1000 for baby place ‘kidsunlimited’.
• Regular agency staff (like myself, a stranger to you and to your child)
• Tooooooooo materialistic: claim to do baby massage, learn foreign language, over the top decorations that make you go wowwww ‘this must be good’! (it’s your money they want!) Do you see children ‘s work being displayed? or is it really just photocopy pictures that children just colour in or collage.
• Know the ratio between staff and children e.g. a level 3 staff to 3 children under 2years.
Please do
• Ask to see the planned activities
• Collect your child sometimes earlier than the nursery anticipates ( what happens when you there)
• Don’t just collect your child and go home straight away, stay and look at the practice and environment and what your child enjoys!

My advice is free, I am here for the children!

tbalpha Wed 10-Aug-11 18:04:12

Hi Ipsy1. I understand that your experiences have caused you to have a negative view of KU, but I have worked for the company for around seven years now, and a lot of the things you say contrast with the actual ideals of the company. I understand that you have worked in the South, my experiences are in the North, but I supposed it depends on who is running the nursery, and if they comply with the company's rules. Here are a few things that don't match with what you have said:
1 Where I work, we have a bank of relief staff, who are employed by KU, and are familiar with children and parents. Relief staff are only used in emergencies.
2 The KU Clubs/Core Curriculum are regularly carried out (yoga, physical activities, cookery and gardening club, and baby sign) and parents are asked to join in whenever they are free.
3 Our staff always have planned activities, as well as key areas to observe regarding their key worker group. Planning is displayed for parents to see, and discussed regularly
4 We have child led and adult led activities going on from the moment the nursery opens until the moment that it closes. Our children don't all arrive and leave at once, and parents often pop in throughout the day to peep in on their child, to make sure that they are ok
5 There are many young staff, and I'm sure they oly get paid minimun wage, but this is unfortunatley common throughout businesses nowadays. The less experienced staff are always balanced out with more mature staff, to ensure that everything runs smoothly. Ratios are always maintained.
6 Finally - we are not allowed to photocopy pictures to colour in (this is a company rule accross the board)

I don't mean to disprove you, as what you say may well be true, but don't be put off the whole company. There are obviously things about my job that I complain about, as very few people love their work, but I can honestly say that excellent care and education is provided at my nursery, and the others that I have worked in up North.

tikatika Thu 08-Dec-11 21:02:01

Hi
I visited KU in regents place. I was a bit worried when looking around as they were not that many toys for babies and few babies were crying with no one paying any attention.The carers looked bored as well. Has anyone tried this nursery before.

fullofxmascheer1 Sat 10-Dec-11 11:16:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I have my child in a KU nursery up north.

I collect them at a different time each day.

I very happy with this particular branch of the nursery - and my child doesn't want to leave at the end of the day.

They have alot of things going on. They do KU active and have Christmas and summer fairs, and my child's work is displayed. My child comes home with alot of artwork. I havnt ever seen photocopied colouring sheets, and I look out for all these things as I work in education myself.

My child LOVES their keyworker.

I am happy with it, and dc is well settled there and always welcomed with a hug.

BoffinMum Sat 07-Jan-12 09:26:58

Knowing what I do about KU nurseries with my professional hat on, I am not sure I would be comfortable sending any child of mine to any of the branches around here.

cath100 Mon 20-Feb-12 12:11:28

Hi i recently moved my children to the regents KU from a different nursery. I really like it so far. They have divided the baby room so that the litttle ones have more quiet areas and the older ones have more chance to explore. the new manager was really up front aout it, she said it didnt work before. I would rather put my child into a nursery where they deal with issues and are up front than a nursery that just lies to parents.
plus they just introduced free 2 months settling in, so any new children will find it easier.

LouiseB2girls Sun 04-Mar-12 07:52:55

Are any of the above bad reviews related to the Epping KU? I am looking for a nursery for both DD's and am just about to sign up and register them to attend KU. Prices seem reasonable but did notice a few snotty noses on my second visit!?! Finding it hard to find anything that is better, this one is already 15-20 mins from home and am due back to work in may, anyone know of any better ones, I live in Broxbourne area and have to travel into city for work.

SS3J Mon 23-Jul-12 18:39:27

My advice would be to avoid Kids Unlimited. My experience (only one branch admittedly) is that the staff are very young and inexperienced and do not engage particularly well with the children. Your child will be kept safe there but will not be nurtured emotionally or stimulated educationally. Also, simple things like wiping noses are not taken care of as well as they should be. The staff don't smile much and therefore neither do the children. The toys are shappy, damaged and grubby. Books are torn and do not get replaced. The initial impression I got is of a rather run-down and sad place.
I wholeheartedly agree with Ipsy1 - that is my experience of nurseries so far. I would say, if you have to use one and cannot arrange any other form of childcare then be very careful which you choose and try to avoid your child having to be there all day every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now