This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: UK MNers with a child aged 5-15: take a short survey for Warburtons - & share your best morning tips/breakfast recipes - £300 of Love2Shop vouchers to be won

(253 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Dec-12 10:07:21

We've been asked by Warburtons to find Mumsnetters to:

~ Complete their survey all about the morning breakfast routine in your house - this is open to all UK MNers with at least one child (of approx school age) aged 5-15 years - complete it and add your details at the end and you could win a £150 Love2Shop voucher - here's the link

and also for all parents (whatever age child you have) to please

~ Share your top tips for making mornings run smoothly, your top breakfast recipe tips or top advice on how to get your children eating breakfast - everyone who adds a tip etc will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win another £150 Love2Shop voucher.

This is all in advance of a new book which Warburtons are producing, so please note your anonymous tips/ advice may well appear in the book - as well as stats from the survey. The book will be distributed free of charge next year and there will be an opportunity to get a copy via MN.

Here's the survey link again (at the end you will be redirected to this thread so you can add a comment then)

thanks
MNHQ

Piggychunk Thu 27-Dec-12 14:39:42

disclaimer I mean within the breakast category not suggesting a mars bar and chips!

I get my daughters (4 & 8) up a little earlier than I used to. They are both up at 6:45am so that they are properly awake. Breakfast is usually cereal (weetabix/cheerios) followed by toast or pancake. They both eat breakfast at the kitchen table every day

ln1981 Thu 27-Dec-12 14:45:46

We try to do as much as possible the night before-bags sorted, clothes out, lunches made if any needed, water bottles filled and put in the fridge etc. Even the breakfast bowls and cereals are put on the table! In the morning, anything that isn't essential to us getting out the door, is left until I come back from the school run, though if by some miracle we get through the essentials then I will do some of these but it hardly ever happens!

MerylStrop Thu 27-Dec-12 14:48:43

NEVER assume anything

We3bunniesOfOrientAre Thu 27-Dec-12 14:49:43

Sandwiches, jellies, cakes all frozen in batches so lunch bags assembled with min time/ fuss. Have taught dd1 to use microwave, so she makes hot chocolate for ds and herself. Clothes all sorted before they are up so they just have to dress themselves from a pile. And walk to schoool. It is more in your control if you walk - rather than discovering a new set of roadworks at 8:44am. Also gives you all a chance to put any hectic morning behind you to face the day.

missorinoco Thu 27-Dec-12 14:50:42

Do as much as possible the night before.
Clothes out, pack school bag, plan packed lunch/tea.
Locate gloves/scarf/hat in the winter, it's irritating trying to find these as you leave the house.

Two of mine are preschool, so it may be I'm about to change one lot of challenges for another in three years.

Following one of the parenting guides I reminded my children of the morning routine: breakfast/dressed/bed/teeth and that made it less stressful.

Breakfast at the table. If they are faffing about with breakfast I remind them the time breakfast will be over. I've only needed to remove it once.

Toys to be taken to school should be chosen the night before. If ready early, I will allow them to pick one in the morning. They are not allowed to try to find one as they leave the house.

Lots of praise for good behaviour. When it's going wrong I try to remember to big up the good behavious on subsequent days.

Five minute warnings for everything - time to finish breakfast, time to leave, time to turn of TV if allowed.

TV only if completely ready and there is time. Any whining or stalling when it is turned off and you won't get it the next day if you are ready early.

helenthemadex Thu 27-Dec-12 14:51:18

have a routine and make sure everyone knows it, organise clothes, breakfast stuff and school bags the night before it all helps to keep the mornings less stressful

Bogeyface Thu 27-Dec-12 14:51:34

Focus on the essentials only.

Everyone needs to leave the house fed, clean and dressed. This does not include gourmet food, ironing, a la carte packed lunches or elaborate hair do's! If a child hasnt finished their homework in time, tough. They need to understand the consquences of their actions and if the parent finishes it off for them then they will never appreciate that they must do these things for themselves.

sophonthemove Thu 27-Dec-12 14:53:44

Divide chores between family members (son lays table, husband supervises teeth and makes own sarnies, I get school bag ready, in theory!). Incentive for son to get dressed and ready quickly helps too.

sophonthemove Thu 27-Dec-12 14:54:39

Oh and no TV in the mornings!

MrsWeasley Thu 27-Dec-12 14:55:45

I have a copy of my teenagers school timetables on my notice board so even if they forget they have PE etc I don't. I also set all things like Music lessons, after school clubs cookery lessons set on my phone calendar so it pops up first thing in the morning to act as a reminder. The cookery lessons are set on a week ahead reminder to allow for buying any extras ingredients and again on a day before to remind child to get it all together. No gadget allowed (except my phone) and no tv on.

scripsi Thu 27-Dec-12 15:06:06

My lot are only really full if they have eggs and toast. If we have a busy week ahead I make a large frittata or two at a weekend, often using the oven when I am cooking other things. I generally make it with eggs, onions, peppers, tomatoes maybe some spinach or courgette, so they are getting some vegetables first thing too. Then I freeze or refrigerate it in slices and just heat up the slices in the microwave. I serve it with hot toast and it takes no time at all. I started doing this as a time-saving thing but now it is often requested during school holidays.

BertramBertram Thu 27-Dec-12 15:06:14

Routine, routine, routine! Have to be up & out if the door by 7.15 with 2 DS (4&6). Our routine usually runs like clockwork but it took hardwork to perfect it!!

maloofysmum Thu 27-Dec-12 15:06:54

I use my iPhone and computer to have alerts each day of the week to remind me when the dc have music lessons, p.e. or a trip event etc happening. Has saved lots of time as everyone knows what they need each day.

roguepixie Thu 27-Dec-12 15:10:21

Wake the DC up a few minutes early but leave them to doze - kind of brings them into wakefulness but without the stress of immediately getting up.

Do as much as possible the night before.

Get them into good habits as early as possible - as another poster said: routine!

Tistheseasontobedramatic Thu 27-Dec-12 15:10:45

DD has a checklist by the front door and checks it before bed every night. Then packs bags, kits etc. works wonders forums smile

poncyettia Thu 27-Dec-12 15:16:00

Weekly planner on wall with list of what is needed each day and where so nothing gets forgotten.

Dcs have school dinners so no packed lunches needed. Table set for brekkie night before and clothes laid out too.

My guys have to be out the door by 8 to catch the school bus and the rule is that all pets are fed before they go.

Generally works very well.

SandWitch Thu 27-Dec-12 15:21:11

Uniform laid out the night before.
No TV until everyone is ready!

I have a very set routine for us all in the mornings - up, dressed, breakfast, teeth, hair...

This should by now (dd is 8) be pretty straight forward - but there is no accounting for how long it takes my dd to get ready. It can sometimes take 45 minutes for her to get out of bed and dressed hmm. She is such a daydreamer, trying to keep her focused, even if I am in the room with her is a nightmare.
Her six year old brother is a breeze by comparison.

The advent season worked quite well as she could not open her calendar (and then get her chocolate) until she was ready for school. This helped motivate her. Ordinarily, making sure that she is ready for school is on a par, stress wise, with making sure that there is enough money in our accounts to pay the bills!

Once the DSs were in Secondary school it became their responsibility to sort themselves out in the morning, which definitely made my life less stressful but possibly added to theirs... grin

They get prompted (get up, have you got everything, you should have left by now) but ultimately it will be them that gets punished for being late/forgetting things so the earlier they learnt to organise themselves the better. Having said that, I still make all the packed lunches because it's a better use of time than three people trying to use our small kitchen at once, and if I'm making DD porridge I'll make DS1 some too for the same reasons.

Apart from that, making sure everything's organised as much as possible the night before, so you have the minimum to do in the morning.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 27-Dec-12 15:23:54

Get girls to prepare their lunchboxes the night before, ie fill it with yogurts, biscuit packs, fruit & juice & cutlery. I add a thermos of hot food in the morning.

Ensure book bags & gym kits are ready in their bags by the door. All homework has to be complete by the night before its due, we don't have time to do it in the morning. I ask if any homework is due, but each child is responsible for their own homework, I refuse to run around after them.

Ask both girls what they want for breakfast in the morning, they're more open to eating it that way.

Ensure all dishes are washed and put away and laundry is hung out so nothing to distract in the morning.

Make sure all uniform is laid out ready for the morning.

We have to be out of the house by 7:30 and at school by 8:00 otherwise we get locked out till 9am which means I'd be seriously late for work.

Teach the kids how to prepare their own breakfast from an early age.

butterflymum Thu 27-Dec-12 15:29:51

Encourage your children from an early age to help you prepare their breakfast/clothes/schoolbag and gradually, as they move through the school years, let them take on more responsibility for same, until eventually they are able to 'do their own' each day.

difficultpickle Thu 27-Dec-12 15:31:26

I tried to complete the survey but there is no provision for those of us that don't eat breakfast at home. Ds has breakfast at school and I have mine at work.

KristinaM Thu 27-Dec-12 15:31:41

I find my mornings go very smoothly if I go out for a run and let Dh sort out the kids wink

preety18 Thu 27-Dec-12 15:34:20

Prepare everything for the morning the night before such as sort packed lunches, iron uniforms and in the morning set a rule for the children to follow and get ready out of the house on time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now