This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Share the favourite teatime treat for your family - you could win a £50 voucher - also feedback thread for Birds Eye range testers

(126 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 11:17:12

This is the feedback thread for the Birds Eye testers who are getting their family to try items from the Birds Eye range in the run up to Mother's Day.

This is part of the Birds Eye "Teatime Handover" project which is all about encouraging families to prepare, eat together and have fun teatimes together - each family were sent £15 of Birds Eye and supermarket vouchers and have been tasked with making a teatime meal for Mum in the run up to Mother's Day this year.

Birds Eye would like to invite all MNers to share on this thread their best teatime treat in your family - whether savoury or sweet - what goes down well at teatime in your household? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £50 John Lewis voucher smile

If you are a tester please share with us how your family got on with making tea for you - let us know...

~ who normally cooks the family meal in your family
~ who was involved in this task and how they got on
~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?
~ any other comments?

Everyone who takes part will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks
MNHQ

PS: For easy recipes and Teatime Handover tips visit www.facebook.com/BirdsEye.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 16:04:38

thanks for all the feedback and sharing of favourite teatime treats!
Am pleased to say hermancakedestroyer has been chosen as the testing winner and gets a £100 JL voucher. Snog wins the £50 voucher for sharing her teatime treats, well done both grin

florencebabyjo Wed 20-Mar-13 06:28:21

At last adding feedback after a week in hospital with poor DS having appendicitis! He did have a lovely time though with this project and really put thought into what he could make.

I normally cook at teatime but the children cook once a week and make dinner for all the family.
My four youngest children all took part aged 10, 8, 6 and 2. My 10 yr old DS led them and did the cooker bit and the eldest three sat down and discussed what they wanted to make.They all stirred and added ingredients but my DS really took it on My 2 yr old DS made a lot of mess and enjoyed spreading sauce on the pitta breads.

~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - They made spicy fritters with Birds Eye Field Fresh Country Mix and used the Garlic and Herb fish fusions to make pitta wraps with a mustard mayonnaise. They made a batter mix and added the vegetables, some curry powder and seasoning and shallow fried them until golden. They then oven baked the fish and cut it into strips. My DS made up a dip with mayonnaise, mustard and honey and spread it on halved pittas. They added the fish strips and salad and served.

~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner? Fantastic, and they absolutely loved it. We all did.It was a great experience for them and they enjoyed discussing together what they were going to cook and made a change from the usual baked things. Will be definitely doing it more often.

Lomaamina Tue 19-Mar-13 19:50:05

Thanks to this thread I decided to try the 'Baked to Perfection Haddock Fillets 280g'. They were easy to cook and very tasty, but my goodness, what tiny portions! For me one portion was just about sufficient, but poor DH was still hungry after eating his portion. For the price, I expected to be able to feed two from it.

stephgr Tue 19-Mar-13 01:24:21

Not a tester unfortunately but a favourite in our house is toasted teacakes with a rather large amount of butter which we let melt into the cake - yummy.

Glitterfairys Mon 18-Mar-13 14:46:55

Our favourite family tea time treat is fish finger sandwiches with lots of butter and tomato sauce on white bread . We all love them smile

SunshinePanda Sat 16-Mar-13 15:14:45

Favourite has to be pasta with any type of veggie sauce. Everyone loves it, especially with extras such as olives, garlic bread etc, and it is so quick to make!

Shoppinglist Thu 14-Mar-13 20:47:16

Thank you for the lovely tea towel. Here is my feedback.

I (mum) usually cook the evening meal. I work part time so need quick and easy but nutritious and tasty recipes.

My DH and two Dcs 5 and 3 made this meal as a lovely Mothers Day treat. They even went to the supermarket and bought all of the ingredients which was a real surprise!

We lived in Asia for a few years and i really miss Asian food so they used Rice Fusions Egg Fried Rice with Peas and original chargrilled chicken to make their own special Nasi Goreng. They served the rice with the chicken sliced on top, added a fried egg and some peanuts and soy sauce. The results were delicious! We have already eaten it again twice since.

We all loved the meal, the children loved helping to prepare it and we all enjoyed eating it. A lovely, tasty and reasonably price fast midweek dinner that transports us back to Asia. Thank you for helping make this Mothers Day so much fun and for making us rediscover one of our favourite meals!

hannahbjm Thu 14-Mar-13 20:13:01

Im not a tester but in our house, a lovely teatime treat is Home made chicken nuggets. Have little bowls of breadcrumbs, egg, flour and chicken strips and the kids love making their own smile

HannahLI Thu 14-Mar-13 13:43:53

Im not a tester but things that go down well in our house are anything with eggs in - dippy, scrambled, hard boiled (and of course of the chocolate variety too) and tuna pasta bake is an absolute favourite that my son begs me for.

choccyp1g Thu 14-Mar-13 12:05:30

I'm not a tester, but my DS favourite tea is cauliflower cheese, with pasta on the side.
I actually get spontaneous hugs (from a 12yogrin) when I serve that.

He and all his mates love mashed potato; because they can just shovel it in with a fork.

TheTempest Thu 14-Mar-13 12:04:38

Hello, sorry for the delay its been a testing couple of weeks for me personally. My DP cooked the garlic breaded fish last night (possibly lol) with the fusions rice and chicken and sweet corn as I was at the hospital til late with my dad. The fish and rice held up being kept warm beautifully but the sweet corn was very dried and hard. Not the products fault though.

We are having waffles, beans cheese and dopers tonight cooked by my DSD (14) and DD's 1 and 2 (2 &3). It is always me who cooks here with occasional help from DSD, so I am very unaccustomed to two nights of no cooking. No jazzing up here though, but as I haven't been able to psrticipate as much as I'd like I shall definitely be buying Birds Eye again to have my own product test smile

Our best tea time treat is a toaster with cheese waffles salad cream, onion and a bit of chicken. So bad but so good smile

Fillybuster Thu 14-Mar-13 11:04:21

Thanks for the tea towel - what a lovely surprise to come home to last night smile

The tea towel is great, thank you!!

shaztwins1 Wed 13-Mar-13 21:37:51

we got a tea towel too !! dd very impressed we love clarence in this house grin

janey223 Wed 13-Mar-13 21:18:02

I'm a single mum so I always cook (unless my dad visits and i get a week off yay :D)

My DS 14m helped - he loves the kitchen and watching me cook. He put things onto the grill & into the microwave and turned them (well, he held the end of the spatula and I helped) and dished the food up (again, being 14m he pretty much just held it). He absolutely loved cooking with me, think we'll have to do it a lot more! Certainly beats him screaming at my feet!

~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
We had hash brown waffle stacks with black pudding, poached egg & grilled tomato, I put my egg face down and broke the yolk so it went through the waffles- YUM!

We also made the mexican rice with chicken fajitas - cut the chargrilled chicken into strips, and made wraps with tomato salsa, lettuce and peppers.

I made DS cod fishcakes with mushy peas and new potatoes today and he loved those. I can never get him to eat any fish other than salmon burgers so definitely going to try these and some more fish products.

~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?

DS enjoyed the hash browns and black pudding but fed me some of the egg and hid the rest and his tomato down the side of him, I loved it - breakfast is normally very boring or (for me) non-existent most of the week. Dinner was great, I love wraps, DS didn't touch it until I unwraped then he ate all of it but he didn't like the rice. The fishcakes went down well too although there wasn't any left of it for me to try!

~ any other comments?
I had to go to a different tesco to get the hash brown waffles sad

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 13-Mar-13 20:40:37

Enjoy the tea towels testing folks - Birds Eye were v pleased with all the feedback (so far..!) and had some to share...grin <we even got some for the MNHQ kitchen>

Cherrybright Wed 13-Mar-13 20:22:42

Oh and our best treats are home made apple pie with ice cream. smile mmmmm

Cherrybright Wed 13-Mar-13 19:54:02

I received a tea towel too smile thankyou!! Dd was very excited when she saw it!

hermancakedestroyer Wed 13-Mar-13 16:51:37

I also received a nice tea towel in the post today from birdseye. What a nice surprise smile

MinnieBar Wed 13-Mar-13 16:29:42

Probably the best all-round treat that all 3 DCs like is homemade dough balls with butter.

(I'm not a lentil-weaving 'from scratch' person at all by the way, it's usually something frozen with some kind of frozen potato product as a side. smile)

gazzalw Wed 13-Mar-13 16:06:46

Yes, we did too! It inspired DD to want to dry up which can only be a good thing! Thank you!

Ooooh, I just got a tea towel with a thank you note. Assuming its related to this but perhaps not, anyone else?

Favourite tea time treat is Courgette fritters:
Grate a courgette, add one egg and a spoon or two of flour. Put little spoonfuls in a frying pan, cook both sides, serve. Any that the kids don't eat make great little hors d'oevres for Mummy and Daddy. wink

newfashionedmum Wed 13-Mar-13 10:29:24

....another vote for putting out chilli with tortilla chips / yoghurt / lettuce / tomato / wraps / grated cheese and make your own combinations.
I make a meat based chilli but with loads of veg in it (peppers, carrots, celery sweetcorn, whatever's in the fridge) so cheaper and healthier than just meat and beans.

Dawnywoo Wed 13-Mar-13 10:26:15

Tea time treat - I always cook more pasta than I need to as keeps it in a tub in fridge for 2-3 days. If I need a quick teatime treat I can whip up a quick hot or cold pasta meal in seconds with some pesto, cherry tomatoes and parmesan or tuna, mayo and sweetcorn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now