This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Share the favourite teatime treat for your family - you could win a £50 voucher - also feedback thread for Birds Eye range testers

(126 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 11:17:12

This is the feedback thread for the Birds Eye testers who are getting their family to try items from the Birds Eye range in the run up to Mother's Day.

This is part of the Birds Eye "Teatime Handover" project which is all about encouraging families to prepare, eat together and have fun teatimes together - each family were sent £15 of Birds Eye and supermarket vouchers and have been tasked with making a teatime meal for Mum in the run up to Mother's Day this year.

Birds Eye would like to invite all MNers to share on this thread their best teatime treat in your family - whether savoury or sweet - what goes down well at teatime in your household? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £50 John Lewis voucher smile

If you are a tester please share with us how your family got on with making tea for you - let us know...

~ who normally cooks the family meal in your family
~ who was involved in this task and how they got on
~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?
~ any other comments?

Everyone who takes part will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks
MNHQ

PS: For easy recipes and Teatime Handover tips visit www.facebook.com/BirdsEye.

Blu Fri 08-Mar-13 14:49:49

DP and I share the cooking as we also share the after-work / after-school childcare. So, it depends who is in. Cooking shared at weekends. 11 year old DS enjoys cooking but has a limited range as yet. Let's just say he will make scrambled eggs on Sunday for my breakfast and that will exhaust his repertoire. Unless he does EggyBread as a variation.

Treats:
A Beano nosh-up. A big pile of mash with the sausages sticking out, as in the Beano and Dandy. DS's friends love this.
or
Paella - Jamie oliver recipe, with whatever we don't happen to have missing
or
Spare ribs
or
pork satay kebabs with stir fry and noodles or rice.

DrGarnettsWinterMixture Fri 08-Mar-13 15:21:57

I do all the food shopping, and cook Monday-Friday, DH generally at weekends

Favourite lazy teatime treat-raspberry crumble, packet of frozen raspberries in a dish, with crumble mix over the top, takes about 20 minutes in a hot oven and is lovely with cream or ice cream blush

Bananasinfadedpjs Fri 08-Mar-13 15:22:02

Our teatime treat is pancakes. Lots of savoury fillings laid out on the table (ham, cheese, mushrooms, spinach, garlicky stir fried courgettes, bacon etc) one person standing at the stove making pancake after pancake, everyone puts on their own filling.

Then half way through we put out sweet fillings instead - chocolate to be melted, ice cream, honey, jam... and carry on making pancakes!

ClaraOswinOswald Fri 08-Mar-13 19:17:49

My girls' favourite treat is yorkshire puddings. They have a couple with their roast with gravy and I always cook extra to have later with jam. My MIL used to do this for DH and it goes down a treat.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 08-Mar-13 19:43:33

I'm not a tester.

Monday evening is our 'family night' so we have a special pudding. DS is 3 so he loves to choose what to make each week and to come out shopping with me and his little sister to choose the ingredients and then help me make the pudding at home. His current favourites are rice pudding and apple crumble with custard. We have to buy extra apples as he tends to 'help' by munching the apple slices grin

sharond101 Fri 08-Mar-13 21:58:13

Teatime treat - homemade enchiladas with a tomato sauce and salad.

busymummy3 Fri 08-Mar-13 23:20:42

We are another cake family our current favourite being homemde Sticky Lemon Cake . Recipe in Great British Bake Off booklet for Comic Relief we made it for the first time last Sunday , gorgeous can highly recommend.
Cake always has to be eat with a 'nice cup of tea' in our house!

SuedeEffectPochette Fri 08-Mar-13 23:21:17

Thank you Bird's Eye for picking me as a tester. It was fun and introduced me to some new products.

It is usually me that cooks in the week, as I have more time then. At the weekend we share. My 8 year old DD likes to "cook" her own meals (mostly salad).

DP and DD cooked the meal, with DD totally in the lead. DP cooked the hot parts which needed to go in the oven. The content and design were down to DD!

~ what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
DD prepared a Spongebob dinner which consisted of a picture of Spongebob, together with his pineapple under the sea. Four square Bird's Eye mini lattice potatoes, two Bird's Eye fishfingers cut up for his arms and legs and tie. Eyes made of radish and olive. Bird's Eye peas and sweetcorn arranged as the pineapple and green top, and cress underneath for the sea bed.

~ what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?

I would generally prefer to pick the Bird's Eye Bake to Perfection fish which is very tasty, but rather harder to make a food picture with I imagine! I was thrilled with the picture/dinner as DD had worked so hard at it. By the time she had finished it was a little cold but still very tasty. I had forgotten how delicious sweetcorn is and will certainly be keeping a bag of the frozen stuff handy now!

Crazybit Sat 09-Mar-13 00:07:21

We're going shopping tomorrow. DD already has planned what she wants to get..

pollywollydoodle Sat 09-Mar-13 01:25:46

our favourite treat is well cooked crumpets with Marmite or mashed banana and honey .healthy, tasty and filling smile

Bakingnovice Sat 09-Mar-13 11:35:29

Our favourite family treat is a proper hot cake and custard dessert after dinner. We don't do it often but sometimes it's nice to have a light dinner followed by a rich indulgent hot pudding. This week it was old school jam cake with custard. Yum.

CarrieDon Sat 09-Mar-13 17:51:43

Tea-time treat: nacho chips with salsa and melted cheese - lovely comfort food!

StillStuck Sat 09-Mar-13 19:40:22

Favourite tea time treat is sweetcorn fritters (made with wheat free flour, rice milk and egg replacer due to allergies) with bacon and peas. Ds loves sweetcorn so much that he has to have extra sweetcorn with it too.

I cook most nights, dh maybe once a week.

Dh, ds's 5 and 2

They prepared chicken chargrills, mini waffles, peas and (fresh non birdseye) green beans. Ds's took everything out of bags and put on baking tray, set timer on oven and checked on it all. Dh dished up. They didn't jazz up anything this time around, but may try something more next time.

We all enjoyed it, I found the Chicken a little salty personally. Ds1 said 'these waffles are tummy ache waffles as he's seen them in his game called tummy ache' and 'they are like chips inside'. Both ds's ate all.

~ any other comments?
The chicken was nicer than I expected and it's made me think about buying those kinds of products in the future. Waffles are a great alternative to chips and I don't really know why we haven't eaten them before. I also will use the vouchers to buy some other frozen veg as I usually don't eat frozen veg but as I was pleasantly surprised by the chicken I hope I will be by veg too smile

missorinoco Sat 09-Mar-13 20:28:31

Favourite teatime treat? Pancakes.

GetKnitted Sat 09-Mar-13 21:08:04

our favourite tea time treat is fresh apple pie with ice cream, yum.

Our dd's have a favourite tea time treat at their grandparents, if they have already had a cooked meal they are allowed piles of toast with all the spreads on the table (honey, chocolate spread, marmalade, marmite etc) and they are allowed to help themselves and spread it themselves. At home their favourite tea time treat is homemade stuffed crust pizzas which they are allowed to top.

beanandspud Sun 10-Mar-13 19:38:16

Not an official tester but our favourite teatime treat is savoury pancakes. DS (5) loves to have a bowl of different fillings (ham, cheese, tomatoes, tuna etc.) and then rolling them all himself.

gazzalw Sun 10-Mar-13 20:14:56

Thank you for giving the DCs and me a chance to have some quality bonding time in the excellent cause of treating Mummy and giving her a well-deserved day off cooking!

Apologies for the tardiness of this feedback. DW had to go to buy the ingredients, as I've had a hectic week at work and couldn't factor in a trip to a big supermarket with the two hour commute to and from work! She was pleasantly surprised by the range of goods but did say, that with limited shopping time, it was a case of hunt the Birds Eye products in the different freezer sections. Think that supermarkets could consider grouping products by brand sometimes! Anyway she said that there were more products in the Birds Eye range than she'd realised there would be!

- DW does most of the family cooking in our household. I do love cooking but simply don't have time during the week. I probably cook one main family meal a fortnight, more often than not on a Saturday/Sunday. Usually like to recruit one of the DCs to junior sous-chef status, although not both, as they argue hmm.

- The DCs (12 y.o. DS and 7 y.o. DD) and I were involved in deciding on recipes and then DW did the shopping to buy them! They are quite used to helping in the kitchen and were good helpers. Not too much cooking from scratch although we did lots of chopping and slicing/dicing and stirring and taught them how to make a cheese sauce too (which is definitely new to their culinary repertoire!)

- We looked at the Birds Eye recipes but we wanted to do something a bit different. So got the cookery books out and consulted various websites. This was great fun and the children really got into the idea of finding something tasty, healthy, easy to make with Bird's Eye products and that Mummy would love. We opted for two meals, one more adventurous than the other but that's as much due to the children's likes/dislikes as to kitchen skills!

a) A type of Nasi Goreng (including Rice Fusion Egg Fried Rice, Green Beans, Crispy Chicken) with cashew nuts, chillis, garlic, peppers and a Nando's sauce (!).

b) Crispy Pastry Bakes (sundried tomato and creamy cheddar cheese) with Field Fresh Broccoli, Carrots and Sweetcorn in cheese sauce and new potatoes.

NB. We had wanted to go the whole hog and have Arctic Roll with either a raspberry coulis (homemade) or fresh strawberries/raspberries dusted with icing sugar. Sadly DW couldn't find Arctic Roll stocked in our very large
supermarket sad.

- Yes we very much enjoyed the planning, preparation/cooking and eating it en famille. I do think the children appreciate food more when they've been involved. It was good to be able to show them that with a little thought, pre-prepared food can be incorporated into a healthy, balanced diet and be tasty too!

I think Mummy was very impressed and said we can cook more often!

- will add links when I've configured the recipes. We are a family that tends to cook instinctively so although we did take inspiration from others, it was very much our own take. In fact I would say that that is one of the key factors with teaching children to cook - to get them to be creative and learn to judge quantities, ingredients according to taste etc....

It is also excellent, as this happy product review demonstrated, to show children that shortcuts by using prepared products (as Delia so famously did a couple of years ago) can produce flavour-rich, interesting dishes that can be helpful in giving some variety to family meals!

Quite a lot of the Birds Eye products were on special offer when DW was shopping, although frustratingly not necessarily the ones on our shopping list! That did reduce the cost of the two meals (with added ingredients) to just under the £15.00 gift-card budget! Relatively good value given that we were using a premium brand, but probably above our family's normal expenditure per meal, as DW tends to cook from scratch and is quite a canny shopper so tends to budget quite carefully whilst not compromising on quality or flavour.

Nothing beats a good fish finger sarnie - it was a staple of my student days grin!

gazzalw Sun 10-Mar-13 21:13:47

Favourite teatime treat here is an old-fashioned high tea with cake, sticks of celery, baby tomatoes, chopped cucumber, crisps (anarchic?), cheese scones/ toasted cheese and tomato or marmite sandwiches/scotch pancakes and then fruit and jelly! Goes down a treat for grown-ups and children alike because it's radically different from what they normally have for 'tea/supper' wink.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 10-Mar-13 21:37:48

Our ds's favourite tea time treat is a chippy tea ie from the chip shop!

That's not on my list of favourites so luckily their close second is wraps!

None of us are that fussed on lettuce or guacamole, so we have a mild chilli and plain tortillas with sour cream and grated carrot accompanied with rice. They both love peas and Sweetcorn so they often have those too!

Skyebluesapphire Sun 10-Mar-13 22:38:18

Teatime treat, Birdseye fishfinger sandwich - white bread, loads of butter, tonnes of Heinz tomato sauce. Lovely.

Hopezibah Mon 11-Mar-13 00:10:59

our favourite teatime treats are: yorkshire puddings (my kids will eat them with anything not just roast dinners). They also love eating cereal as a snack / treat in the afternoon or evening. They also love camembert (the two older ones are old enough to eat it now as it is not suitable for young children) and will eat tons of the stuff with french bread. Pesto and mozarella paninis are another fave of the kids - which surprised me to start with as pesto can taste quite strong but they adore it.

cather Mon 11-Mar-13 10:24:44

who normally cooks the family meal in your family
I usually cook and occasionally my husband

who was involved in this task and how they got on
My husband and sons who are 11 and 7. They decided to go shopping to see what there was and then once they had picked the foods they wanted to try they came home and put them together in a meal for me. The boys did most of the cooking with my husband supervising and helping them with the oven

what they prepared and how - if they jazzed up the Birds Eye products - did they try out any recipes? Do include links if you can.
We had a starter of chicken dippers with a small chopped salad, homemade coleslaw and chilli sauce. For the main course they made chicken pastry bakes (creamy cheddar & sundried tomato), rice fusions with peas, cauliflower and they mixed frozen peas and sweetcorn together.

what your verdict was on the meal? Did your children like it? Did your partner?
I was amazed at how much thought they had put into it, I wasn't expecting a starter and the chicken dippers were lovely. The salad and coleslaw were a really nice extra and made the starter extra special. The children really enjoyed choosing the food to cook, I normally let them help cook but they don't get to choose what we eat so this was something they really enjoyed. They both worked well together and whilst I wasn't allowed in the kitchen I couldn't hear any arguments so that was an added bonus! My husband enjoyed the meal too and said how nice the chicken pastry bakes were. He was very pleased at how the boys had worked together and said it was fun going shopping with them to choose the foods to cook.
I loved the meal, it isn't something I would normally cook but it was all very tasty and much nicer because I hadn't cooked it myself!

any other comments?
I was really surprised at all the different Birds Eye products that Tesco stocked. I have always bought their frozen peas and fishfingers but that is about it. When I was shopping I had a look to see what other products there were and couldn't believe the choice. The products were all scattered around the frozen food section and normally I don't tend to look in this section as all I normally buy is frozen peas, ice cream and fish. I bought some sausage rolls as they will be handy to keep in the freezer for picnics and extras for packed lunches.
I normally cook all my meals from scratch so it was nice to know that there are tasty foods available that are easy enough for my children to cook so I am hoping that I will be getting some more help in the kitchen now!

Fillybuster Mon 11-Mar-13 14:25:06

Thanks for selecting us to take part in this activity.....various family commitments (and work) meant neither dh nor I had a chance to do much pre-planning, and the age of our children (7, 5 and 2.5) was a factor in what we could let them do 'by themselves'.

Other factors in our family's final choice were:
a) not being able to load the Birds Eye website properly in either browser on my laptop - I could see the images, but not the actual ingredients/instructions unless I loaded the page in printer view.
b) all our family are pescetarian (no shellfish), which limited the amount of products available
c) non of my dcs like rice (which ruled out the fusions!)
d) I couldn't find a huge range of Birds Eye products in my very enormous supermarket....like gazzaw we had hoped to include some sort of frozen dessert but couldn't find anything from the BE range.

Me, with dcs 'helping' if they (and I) have time

DS (7) did it pretty much by himself

We went for the 'classic': fish fingers, chips, garden peas and baked beans. This won the family vote, despite me trying my best to promote some of the salmon/white fish options.

There was a firm refusal from the dcs to entertain jazzing up this meal, not least because they don't get to have it very often and were hugely excited...! grin

Everyone enjoyed their dinner. Various senior family members were visiting and hoovered up the spare bits left in the kitchen - general agreement was that this topped most peoples' 'favourite kitchen dinner' lists!

~ any other comments?

I'm sorry we weren't more creative (I did try!) but it did all go down extremely well, ds was very proud of having 'made' dinner all by himself, and the dcs had fun. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now