This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Cadbury Egg n Spoon tester feedback thread. Non-official testers welcome too - prizes for both to be won!

(129 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Feb-13 15:24:41

This thread is for the 70 Mumsnetters who have been trying out the new Cadbury Egg n Spoon kid's Easter treat with their DCs. But we'd also like to hear from those of you who weren't part of the official MN product test but who have tried the Egg n Spoon chocolate treat.

Below are a few questions for you to answer but please feel free to add any other comments you may also have.

All 'official' testers who add their feedback to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Everyone who wasn't part of the official product test but who adds their feedback will be entered into a separate prize draw to win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

BettySuarez Thu 14-Feb-13 20:52:59

We bought two boxes a few weeks ago. Our children are all teens with their own means to buy themselves sweets but I thought that these looked novel and a good idea for a Friday night treat.

I bought the milk Choc, didn't see any other varieties (in ASDA). Would be really interested to look at the other varieties.

Kids reaction was very positive, we had a job to make them wait until after dinner smile

The packaging was lovely and I went to great pains to open the box carefully as had some strange idea in my head that the box might be useful for something at a later date grin

We were a bit disappointed that there were only two spoons though meaning that we had to enjoy our eggs in shifts (we are a large family grin)

Only our eldest son thought that it was a bit too sickly, the rest of us enjoyed them. We had kept them in the fridge though, not sure I would want one at room temperature .

The little purple spoons have taken pride of place in the cutlery draw alongside the cake forks that I inherited from my Great Gran Ida grin

Would I buy them again? Probably yes, would like to look at the other varieties as would make nice Easter gifts for the children and friends.

HappySunflower Thu 14-Feb-13 21:10:07

Great fun to eat, we all really enjoyed them!
Packaging also great fun and made me smile smile
We had the normal chocolate flavour, keen to try others now I know they exist.....
This was a definite treat, but I'd definitely recommend them to others.
Bit too expensive to buy too often but I'd buy them again as a special treat.

kasbah72 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:10:41

What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon?
We loved it! The kids were excited that the packet looked like a proper egg box. They immediately identified them as Cadbury's from the colour and were excited to open them up.

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc?
We had the milk chocolate ones. The taste, texture and size were all a huge success. We all loved the filling but hadn't expected to - it wasn't anywhere near as sweet as it looked!

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it?
The surprise was how easy it was to tap and remove the top and yet not get fingers covered in chocolate. They were great fun, really tasty and an upmarket novelty.

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not?
Definitely. The spoon made it feel more luxurious funnily enough! We weren't sure about only having 2 spoons... as a family of 4 we wanted one each.

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not?
We definitely would although we might hide them from visitors so we can eat them ourselves...

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 14-Feb-13 21:13:46

We were all very excited about it. DS1 (8) thought the pictures should be on the egg box rather than on a separate piece of packaging. All of us were puzzled as to why there were only 2 spoons instead of 4 to match the number of eggs. The DC thought there should have been (4) egg cups as well!

We had the white, milky mousse kind. Both DC and I loved it. DS1 didn't think he would like brown chocolate mousse kind as he doesn't usually like mousse while DS2 (7) wished we'd had the brown mousse kind! I thought the chocolate egg was disappointingly thin compared to a normal filled Easter egg of the same size though I was glad the top was thin for biting through.

We all ate the eggs as directed on the packaging. It was lots of fun.

The DC definitely found it more of treat than an ordinary small Easter egg as we had them for pudding and used spoons. They were disappointed that they wouldn't be for sale year-round!

I don't tend to recommend things but if asked I would say they were fun and tasted good.

tenlittlebuns Thu 14-Feb-13 21:38:29

Loved the neat little box, which as soon as the DC had eaten the eggs, was customised for a starring role in a game. The spoons were also carefully washed and are now being carefully guarded by youngest DD in case mum puts them in bin. Wobbly moment when the three DC found out there were only two spoons, but eldest nobly volunteered to use a regular teaspoon instead. But really - four eggs need four spoons.

Chocolate, doesn't seem to say a flavour on the packaging (but not white choc). All thought it was yummy. Mousse was softer than imagined, but that made it much easier to eat like a real egg. Thought youngest DD might not finish hers as she can't take too much richness, but all three finished them rather easily! All DC thought they were yummy, and were eager to know who the lucky guy/gal was who was going to get the fourth (Daddy, when he comes home tonight after working away)

They unwrapped them then put them in egg cups. They bit the top off, ate the mousse with a spoon, then ate the empty shell. They all found this great fun.

They say yes, 1) because of the novelty of eating them like a real egg, 2) because you get a double chocolate treat - both mousse and chocolate; two in one. Eldest DD thinks these are better than standard eggs because regular easter eggs are hollow and the shell is very thin; she feels you get more chocolate with an Egg n Spoon. DS says they are 'way better' than a Kinder egg. None of them mentioned the packaging, but it's entertainment value exceeded that of the eggs themselves.

Yes, definitely. These are fun, and might even make it onto the Easter breakfast table. Four in a box make them a good little present too for a family. Just a bit different, but not excessive.

Have to admit the 'trialler's in our household were me and DH.

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon? Packaging and inclusion of spoons is a nice touch.

Was a plain white inside - I assume vanilla?

Used the spoon to knock off the top, bit like with a real egg.

N/a

No - I have a shockingly sweet tooth but also like to have some flavour with my treats - these didn't really have any. It was like eating a more saccharine version of marshmallow fluff. DH also has a sweet tooth, but didn't bother finishing the first one due to the aforementioned lack of flavour.

PersuedByPenguins Thu 14-Feb-13 22:34:01

Not an official tester but my thoughts...

Cute presentation, nice change from the norm

Just standard chocolate I think?

They loved scooping the mousse out with a spoon and biting the top off. Odd that theres only 2 spoons though

definitely more special- because it was unusual and fun

I would definitely recommend

I suggest a praline filling though that would be delish!

GreatGooglyMoogly Fri 15-Feb-13 07:25:39

Sorry, can I just add that I think the packaging should make which type of egg/ mousse it contains clearer smile.

custardcream1000 Fri 15-Feb-13 10:03:43

I love the packaging, it is unique and something that can be reused during pretend play, or for a craft activity.
My four year old loves dinosaurs and chocolate so loved this as he could pretend he was going to eat dinosaur eggs.

We purchased the chocolate ones from morrisons and all enjoyed the taste. However, you only have to look at the outer shell and it melts so it was quite messy.

With the spoon. He loved the novelty of the product.

I don't think it was more of a treat, but much more fun than a chocolate bar.

Yes as it a great product and something different.

MrsHarford Fri 15-Feb-13 12:32:03

THey are a bit 'overpackaged' to me. Remind me of an Easter Egg which is fine once per year but wouldn't attract me to buy regulary. Generally not a big fan of extra packaging for its own sake.
DS (5) was very excited and loved the idea of chocolate eggs in an egg box. ALthough he does get excited and loves the idea of about any form of chocolate!

Chocolate mousse. Loved the taste and texture (but see also above!) I'm sure he would have eaten more but I think they are about the right size.

Bit the top and used the spoon to eat the inside. This was a good novelty but I don't know if teh novelty will last.

Yes it felt like a special treat because it came in the post (package to open) and also because of the packaging itself but again I don't know if this novelty value would last.

I would say kids would love it for a special treat but actually I think there are other sweets (think eggs with toys) that I think give slightly (only slightly) longer enjoyment.

Cornycabernet Fri 15-Feb-13 16:50:19

not a tester but my ds2 really, really wanted to try them. However these things are being advertised certainly works because ds must have asked for on every 5 mins!

ds really enjoyed it

chocolate one

He liked the taste and texture
It's just big enough. Any larger would have been too sickly and too many calories.

He used a spoon and enjoyed the novelty

<I had a sneaky one without the spoon as well! I prefer creme eggs but still enjoyed it>

yes it was definitely a treat - the novelty appealed to him very much

I might recommend one as a special treat due to the novelty aspect

mumove Fri 15-Feb-13 17:03:04

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon
We liked the purple egg box and my little boy was excited when he saw the foil wrapped eggs & realised the box didn't contain ordinary eggs.

We were sent the milk chocolate eggs with milk chocolate filling. My DS thought the size was just right, and he really enjoyed the taste. he can usually take or leave chocolate - fruit pastille s are his great of choice - but this disappeared in a jiffy!

My DS bit the top off. He said it came off easily. He really enjoyed using the spoon to eat it with. We all thought the pack should contain 4 spoons.

it was definitely a special treat, due to the egg box presentation, the foil wrappers and the spoons, but most of all because we had never tried them before.

I would recommend Cadbury's egg n spoon as a treat- it'll be a nice change at Easter from cream eggs. Although my ideal treat would be all the packaging, spoons, bite off top etc but with Cadburys cream eggs in the box!

SarahStratton Fri 15-Feb-13 17:43:57

- What were your and your DC's first impressions of Cadbury Egg n Spoon? Loved the fact that they came in a proper little egg box. Four, however, is not enough.

- Which flavour did your children try? What did they think of the taste/texture/size etc? Milk chocolate, we all loved them, and could have eaten more. <greedy> We didn't know there were different flavours though, we've only seen milk chocolate.

- How did your DC eat the egg? Did they find it fun to eat or not? Was there anything they particularly liked or disliked about it? With a proper spoon, the plastic ones were too flimsy, and a bit pointless tbh.

- Would you say your child found the Egg n Spoon more of a special treat compared to other chocolate they eat or not? If so why is this? If not, why not? They were fun, but not as much fun as a Kinder Egg. Sorry Cadbury. smile

- If it came up in conversation, would you recommend the Cadbury Egg n Spoon to a friend? If so why? If not why not? Absolutely not. They are ALL mine.

Could I have a lifetime's supply please, as a reward for doing the survey. And please, please don't stop doing them when Easter is over.

ProfYaffle Fri 15-Feb-13 18:06:20

DC saw an ad on TV and have been desperate to try these. They were very excited when I bought them, they loved the packaging and were thrilled with the spoons (weirdos!)

I didn't realise there was more than one flavour. They had a white milky mousse inside.

Quickly! They were gone in seconds. Definitely fun to eat.

Yes, much more of a special treat though this is probably due to the novelty. They seem like a bigger treat than a normal chocolate bar.

Yes, they're a great little treat, especially as they're on offer in Tesco.

turkeyboots Fri 15-Feb-13 18:19:03

Q1 DD saw then in a shop and begged for them. Was very excited. I thought of this thread and agreed!

Q2 didn't notice range of flavors, was chocolate moose in egg. But DD convinced it was orangey. Have recycled pack omso can't check.

Q3 eggs were gone fast. They bit off the top and loved the little spoons.

Q4 was seen as a special treat, the spoons seemed to make it for them.

Q5 would recommend if it came up.

glitch Fri 15-Feb-13 19:21:17

DS thought they were really good but not really bothered about the spoon, packaging etc. I thought they were a bit overpackaged but they were made of chocolate so obviously I was interested!

We had the ones with white goo inside. DS thought the taste was really good, the size was just right and the chocolate was really nice. I thought the chocolate was a bit soft and the inside a bit blurgh and sweet.

He bit the top off and then used the spoon to eat the inside. He would happily eat it without the spoon, it was more that I gave it to him to use.

Thought it was about the same sort of treat as other chocolate. He prefers caramel for a special treat.

I probably wouldn't recommend it. I didn't like it as much as other chocolate eggs and the packaging is a bit OTT. The cost of them is far too much too.

My two dc (age 7 & 5) were very excited when the box arrived in the post. The packaging is very enticing and attractive. They were really keen at the prospect of using the spoons.

We received the chocolate mousse flavour. The DC both enjoyed the taste and texture, although the oldest (7) found it a little sweet and said they would prefer to have a non-chocolate flavour like caramel for the mousse. The youngest loved it and asked for another one. The size is perfect - they both ate the eggs easily. DH and I also tried one - the chocolate was good, but we both thought the mousse was incredibly sweet and would also have preferred a contrasting taste. I couldn't detect a chocolate taste in the mousse, it just had an overriding sweetness.

They both ate the eggs as recommended - unwrapped them, bit off the top and spooned out the mousse. We were all very impressed by the way the top cracked off perfectly. It was an enjoyable process. I would also like to echo other peoples comments as to why there aren't four spoons?

I would definitely say they found it more of a treat than other types of chocolate. They enjoyed the ritual of unwrapping and slowly spooning out the centre, rather than rapidly scoffing the lot in 5 seconds as they normally do!

I would recommend them for children, but I would maybe suggest trying the other flavours. I would not recommend the chocolate mousse one to chocolate-loving adults as I think the centre is far too sweet for older palates.

Flotsy Fri 15-Feb-13 20:32:49

Myself and my DS thought they looked lovely. We especially liked the fact that they came in a little fake egg box.

We were one of the product testers, and were sent the milk chocolate mousse variety.

I bit the top off, my DS just ate the whole thing much like he would eat an ordinary cadbury's creme egg!

Yes ds definitely thought of it as a special treat. Especially because it came in a box of 4, and the box had an attractive cover, and it came with 2 spoons.

I would definitely recommend the product. It's a little bit of indulgence. Children will love it, but also couples and friends sitting down on a Friday night, watching a movie, would probably love to eat these with a glass of wine.

cario Fri 15-Feb-13 21:36:34

Loved the packaging - so did DS
Didnt even realise there were different flavours! We have choc -DS loves it, too sweet for me though
DS loved it, especially the spoon, though the fact I'd stuck them in the fridge made this rather difficult!
DS thought it was a treat though maybe not more nor less than any other - in our house chocolate is always a treat rather than regular snack.
Whether I would recommend it would depend on rrp. That said, I've already mentioned it to my sister, who was curious and keen to try.

Beancounters Fri 15-Feb-13 21:59:23

First Impressions - We were very excited to get the parcel through the post as we are all big fans of Cadbury chocolate. Eggs looked good in the box, the packaging was definitely different, DC’s (boys 8 and 11) thought the box itself could be decorated with pictures like the ‘real’ egg boxes. DCs thought the spoons were a good idea, but were a bit hard for them to undo.
Version - We had the vanilla version, though this wasn’t written on the box, I only figured it out by checking on line which versions were available. These were filled with pale coloured mousse, less rich then crème eggs, lots of air in the mousse.
Eating the eggs - The eggs and spoons were smaller then expected, smaller then hens eggs. Eating it with the spoon was a nice novelty, DCs suggested having an edible spoon, though I’m not sure how feasible that would be, and a yellow centre like a yolk. They were gone really quickly. I ate the egg with the chocolate and the mousse together as I thought the mousse was a bit nothingy.
Treat - DCs had seen the adverts and were keen to find out what the eggs were like. They were interested in the novelty of the box and the spoon, but actually given a choice they would rather eat a crème egg, which although about the same size is so rich and has thicker chocolate so feels more of a treat and fills you up more.
Would I recommend - I think there is an issue that there are 4 eggs, it is easier to give each child their own gift, so there is no arguing as to who opens it etc. I think people who buy it for 4 children, will have a headache on their hands when they realise there is only 2 spoons, this could quite easily have been me and I would have been really unimpressed as what should have been a treat would turn into a battle as to who got the spoons first. I think it is the sort of thing you would give as a gift if you were visiting a family with children at Easter, but £3.99 is pretty steep for what you get, for that price I could buy a fairly large cadbury’s easter egg and the bottom line is that if I were stood in a supermarket looking at the chocolate shelves that is what I would go for.

ProPerformer Fri 15-Feb-13 22:02:00

Unofficial tester here as my DS is too young to be official being only 4!

A gimmick, but I liked that fact. Looked like a proper 'family' treat.

Vanilla filled. He thought the taste was "mmmm yummy!" and said the middle tasted like white chocolate. He obviously thought they were too small as he asked for a second immediately! (IMO just right.)

He thought it was great fun to spoon out the middle with the special spoon, but told me off for not getting him an egg cup as 'the chocolate melts and gets everywhere when I hold it!' Once the mousse was all scooped out the chocolate all went in his mouth in one go! (I was same, DH took two spoons of mousse then gave up and shoved the whole egg in!)

I think he did, but mainly because we usually only get cheap 'own brand' chocolate or bars so this was something a bit different.

I would as they taste great, but I would be more likely to if they came individually as well as in 4 packs as they're relatively expensive. (Though not quite sure how the spoon would be provided in that case to be fair!)

clux73 Sat 16-Feb-13 08:26:43

We all really liked the little purple egg box packaging. The girls wanted to try one straight away.

We got the milky white centre. Eggs were a good size as I think they'd be a bit sickly if they were any bigger

They broke the top off the egg with the little spoons, which they really liked but instantly wanted to know why there were only two. I would expect 4 spoons as they're easy to lose.

They thought these eggs were a treat as they were a new concept and made eating chocolate a bit more exciting.

I would recommend them to friends as a treat but I'm not sure I would personally buy any more as I think they are a bit of a novelty item and the initial excitement would soon wear off .

Chippychop Sat 16-Feb-13 09:20:51

I can't find them in the shops and desperate to try them!

Snowballed Sat 16-Feb-13 10:43:25

The packaging was great! Loved the purple egg box, thats a great marketing gimmick which sets them apart from other chocolate eggs. As everyone else said though - 4 spoons would have been good

Not sure on flavour as couldnt see it marked anywhere. Taste & texture they loved. Size was spot on

They prised the top of the egg off with the end of the spoon, then ate that. They then scooped out the middle with the spoon before demolishing the rest of the chocolate. They loved the design of the egg and that it was clear where the top was. When they eat cream eggs its always a bit hit and miss about how much of the top you should bite off but the crack on this one was good.

Yes - I think the combination of good packaging, the spoon, the cracked egg top etc just made it very different to other chocolate on the market.

Yes - definately! They loved them far more than I thought they would - and I have no doubt they would recommend to friends too!

KittieCat Sat 16-Feb-13 13:22:36

They're really novel! Shame there were only two spoons, though for four eggs. We bought ours whilst out and about, which meant DH ate his like a creme egg.

We had milk chocolate with the white mousse. Dint realise there were other flavours. DS loved it. The size is fine, definitely wouldn't want bigger as they are quite sweet and rich.

Messily! The spoon was fun for him but he got very messy. Think that was part of the enjoyment though.

Yes, this was more of a special treat. Mainly because it is much bigger than treats I'd usually let him have. He didn't eat it all at once... although I think he'd have liked too!

Definitely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now