Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: If your child has been to a FREE Football Association Tesco Skills course this half term - please add your feedback: £400 of England kit to be won

(71 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 08-Oct-12 13:27:37

Hello, over the next few months we're pleased to be working with The Football Association to promote their FA Tesco Skills coaching programme for children aged 5-11.

They say "Our unique football coaching programme gives boys and girls of all abilities the opportunity to get active, learn new football skills and enjoy the game. Our specially qualified FA coaches will help your child to develop more than just football skills, we'll help them to make friends, gain confidence, build self-esteem and learn to work as team. Our October holiday sessions are perfect for children who have never played before and also for those who regularly enjoy football."

The FA wants to encourage everyone to go along to a session and to add their feedback on it to this thread. Please note the sessions are subject to availability and open to ALL children regardless of ability.

The next lot of sessions are running this October half term and are free!

This is for the English FA so with regret it's England only (there are plans for similar sessions to be expanded under the Scottish and Welsh FA's)

If you'd like to take part you need to book a session by following the link below.

tescoskills.thefa.com/

Do post on this thread to let us know that you're going along (or bookmark it/ add to threads you're watching) and then report back and share with MN how your DD or DS got on. If you've already been to a session or your child attends an after school FA Tesco Skills Centre please do add your feedback below.

Everyone who adds feedback on the sessions (after school or the October half term sessions) will be entered into a prize draw where TWO winners will each get their choice of £200 of England football kit.

So please let us know...

~ Overall impressions
~ Coach: what your DC thought of the coach and how he/she compared to others you may have seen/ experience
~ Skills: what skills your DC learnt/ practised
~ Plus anything else you or your DC thought about the session - would you try to book again? Would you recommend to other parents?

Thanks, MNHQ

AndDIEMacDuff Tue 30-Oct-12 08:21:52

Thanks for that. Right now DS is shouting that she's not going and will NEVER go. Although I can force her and she was keen before, it doesn't really bode well.

AndDIEMacDuff Tue 30-Oct-12 08:22:38

DD, not DS. That damn autocorrect can be very sneaky!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Oct-12 10:46:01

good luck andDIEMacDuff!
thanks for the feedback so far....!

youarewinning Tue 30-Oct-12 17:51:51

My DS (8) went today with friends DCs ( all girls aged 7,8 &10). They all had a brilliant time. They went to the one in Hampshire at Cowplain School. The coaches were great and very encouraging and very accommodating as 3 of the children have SN/ medical needs. (1 allergies and 1 asthma as well as one with social SN)

They enjoyed the fact it was age group split so they could be with people their own age and learnt different skills. They were given time to practice had skills and were encouraged and praised. They then played games but in small teams which meant everyone got the chance to get a kick!

The coaches never wavered in their enthusiasm and you could see this rubbing off on the children.

After the session they all asked when the next one was and asked if they could go.

Thank you Tesco. There 4 very tired and happy children tonight. grin

RedZombie Tue 30-Oct-12 20:14:44

Mine loved it so much they asked me if they could go to another one in the same week. Liked learning the skills, and loved the final match where they picked teams when they were pretending to be their favourite players. Will definitely keep my eye out for the next half term.

Good bits for me:
signing in and out (have been to David Campbell which is a bit chaotic at pick up time). V much liked that even older ones weren't allowed to even stand by the entrance until a parent signed them out.

Bad bits: it was outside and it was freezing.

RedZombie Tue 30-Oct-12 20:16:51

Oh and the coaches were fab. A little one got knocked over and was crying his eyes out. The coach picked him up and dusted him off and had him laughing within seconds.

AndDIEMacDuff Tue 30-Oct-12 21:45:22

I wish I could give more feedback, but in the end, after a long scream fest discussion, DD convinced me not to take her. Hmmph. Sorry to everyone else involved (and the neighbours for the noise).

feetheart Wed 31-Oct-12 08:08:56

DS (6) went yesterday to one in Bedfordshire and wants to write his own report - here goes:

I think it was very good when I didn't get hurt. I got hurt twice buy slipping over because the floor was slippy.I think the coaches were very good because one of them taught me a new game.
from Ash smile

This is from the boy who spends most of the time flinging himself to the ground to skid or roll around!!
I think he enjoyed the session but, thankfully, doesn't want to go regularly - there aren't enough days in the week/money in the bank for that smile
I thought the coaches were friendly and professional and the whole booking/signing in/out process was made very easy.

Thank you MN for letting us know about this.

missymoomoomee Wed 31-Oct-12 13:05:19

DS and DD1 were due to go to a session today, sadly it was cancelled due to low numbers and I have 2 very disappointed children now sad

I think that it needs to have better advertising to get the numbers up. I only heard about this on MN despite being in tesco about 3 times a week. There is so little to do for the kids in the holidays I'm sure the places would have been snapped up if people knew about them.

Declutterbug Wed 31-Oct-12 20:12:33

My ds aged 7 and dd aged 5 did a free 2hr session this week.

~ Overall impressions

Excellent
~ Coach: what your DC thought of the coach and how he/she compared to others you may have seen/ experience

One was particularly good with my slightly nervous dd. they were both v positive and constructive. Much better than our local after school sessions that are 2.50 a week.

Playing in a team, shooting, passing

~ Plus anything else you or your DC thought about the session - would you try to book again? Would you recommend to other parents?

They loved it and came home bright red and worn out. We would definitely do it again and recommend it.

Declutterbug Wed 31-Oct-12 20:15:24

Oh yeah, we did have one problem which was that only dd's name was on the register despite me having booked both of them in on the one page online at the same time. Fortunately I was able to just add ds to the bottom of the list.

housesalehelp Wed 31-Oct-12 23:02:30

My DS has done these a few times
Overall impressions

Excellent

No sure as I didn't stay - but he seemed nice .

again not sure as I didn't stay and he is hopeless about telling me

He really enjoyed both session I would would recommend it.

spookilynice Thu 01-Nov-12 00:17:07

DS went to a session earlier in the week-he's been a few times before

Overall impressions: he loved it as always

~ Coach: the coaches are excellent-very professional and friendly without losing authority control of the children

~ Skills: various passing, dribbling etc

~ I'm always amazed at how few people seem to know about these sessions-when I've mentioned them to other parents they've never heard of them. My only niggle is the booking system which is a nightmare! Often website will tell you there are no places and refuse a booking even when places are available. Other times you can get a confirmation e-mail then turn up to find coaching staff havn't got you on the register. They are good about sorting things out though.

Chopstheduck Thu 01-Nov-12 16:01:38

So please let us know...

~ Overall impressions

We've used these several times, the boys absolutely love them, and get very competitiive.

The coaches are usually very good, clearly knowledgeable, and some coaches have been brilliant in the past at going out of their way to make sure the kids get the most out of the sessions.

I know nothing about football, and use the session as a chance to grab a coffee somewhere away from the kids. From the bits I did see in our morning session, they were learning how to throw in a ball properly and I was impressed at how quick they were to pick up on foul moves, compared to say, school coaching.

When we first starting going to these sessions they were extremely full and it was very hard to get a place. Now, they seem a bit quieter. Today we went to a morning session and were invited to return for the afternoon session from 1-3 too, as it was very under booked. Fab, we thought! So I hurtled home with the kids, (it's a 20 minute drive) they bolted down their lunch, we grabbed another friend, and drove back again. I planned to drop them there and do the supermarket shop minus children! But then we were told that the session would be closing early at 2 because of the lack of interest. I wouldn't have bothered to do a 40 minute round trip for the sake of an hour!

I've had sessions cancelled before, and the coach telephoned and was very nice, and made sure we got on the next available session. But I was very disappointed in how it was handled today.

I think, if the sessions continue to attract less numbers we would probably stop going. When they first started it was really good, and they had three pitches running, separated into different age groups. Now, they are all bundled in together, and the afternoon session looked more like a friendly kickabout than a coaching session. I didn't really feel like they were getting any more out of it than they would a kickabout at the park. I don't really understand why the coaches couldn't make the most of the opportunity to give some quality coaching with the smaller group, and work on skills even if games were a bit difficult.

parques Thu 01-Nov-12 22:08:58

Attended in Birmingham. Son loved it! Coach excellent! Not as busy as I expected. Surprised by this. Not sure why more people don't take advantage of this FREE opportunity! Would definitely book again.

Sabriel Fri 02-Nov-12 16:13:10

DD (5) went to a session in Bristol. The venue wasn't signposted. It was at a school but the school turned out to have a number of gates. When we've been to any other sort of event they tend to put posters on the gates telling you where to go but DH drove into the main gate to find no-one around but builders who didn't know what he was talking about. He saw other cars turning round as well.

DD was the only girl at the session, which was disappointing. She did enjoy it and came out saying she wanted to go again. Apparently they did a lot of dribbling and ball skills. The coach and assistant were nice - can't get any more out of her and I didn't go.

devilinside Fri 02-Nov-12 16:49:51

DD and her friend were the only girls there. The boys all looked like they had played before. (so felt sorry for DD - a total beginner). The coaches did their best to include them though.

DS (asd) ran off and wouldn't participate, but the coaches were very understanding, and said he could join in when he wanted (which was never).

Not sure what skills they learnt as I was too busy chasing after DS!

Clary Sat 03-Nov-12 19:55:36

DS2 went to one at our local secondary school on Thursday - good as they have previously been at a school we need to drive to.
He has been to lots before and always enjoys them.
He likes the coach - the same chap has done some team coaching with DS2's football club and his team, so he knows him well. Coach always remembers DS2's name (and others too I am sure).
I didn't stay to watch as had ironing to do (!) but DS said they practised various skills including some match play and shooting.
Yes I would and will book again. Sadly it was not fully booked, in fact DS was offered the afternoon one as well but we had to be somewhere else. Some of his team members came back tho, and had regular training that pm as well - v keen!

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 06-Nov-12 12:24:22

Thanks for all the feedback - am pleased to say Whistlingwaves and uoYekorByMredluomS both win £200 of kit from the FA - will pm you now! Congrats and do look out for some more opportunities to win with the FA soon.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 06-Nov-12 12:42:14

Wow. [open mouth emoticon] thank you so much!

Thanks so much! Have been poorly so sorry for delay!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now