WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Gabrielle Palmer, author of The Politics of Breastfeeding, this Friday (20 Nov, 1-2pm)

(179 Posts)
HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Nov-09 22:07:07

Hello.

We're very pleased to have Gabrielle Palmer, author of the highly praised The Politics of Breastfeeding, as a guest for a live chat on Friday 20 Nov, 1-2pm.

Gabrielle Palmer is a nutritionist and a campaigner. She was a breastfeeding counsellor in the 70s and helped establish the UK pressure group Baby Milk Action. She has written, taught and campaigned on infant feeding issues, particularly the unethical marketing of baby foods.

In the 90s, she co-directed the International Breastfeeding: Practice and Policy course at The Institute of Child Health in London until she went to live in China for two years.

She has worked independently for various health and development agencies, including serving as HIV and Infant Feeding Officer for UNICEF New York.

As usual, if you can't join us on the day, please post your question here and Gabrielle will try to answer as many as possible on Friday.

LeninGrad Sat 21-Nov-09 21:09:56

Thanks TanteRose, it's a shame they are bringing weaning forward too.

Boober, the worry about looking like/being a freak is terrible isn't it? Good on you for being on the telly.

I hear of other people's kids announcing they've had enough and self-weaning and I can't see DS1 ever doing that. I know rationally he will but I can't see it happening any time soon. Will put up a big announcement when he does!

Thanks to everyone who ever mentions extended/natural term feeding and how long their DCs fed for, it makes me feel much better about it.

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Sun 22-Nov-09 21:22:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitypuds Thu 26-Nov-09 10:39:07

Gelamum, thrush is REALLY common. We all have candida but it doesn't cause issues unless it begins to overgrow - common during pregnancy and when we're run down and not eating so well. Unfortunately many GPs still say it doesn't exist in the breast, yet I (as a BC) see it all the time. Poor positioning can lead to it - the breast doesn't get drained properly whch leads to blockages and potential infection, nipples can get cracked and let it in, and problems escalate quickly. Then you get women putting lanolin on to ease the pain and the thrush is sealed in. It beats me how women can go to 3 different HCPs and be told the latch is fine, get antibiotics for the infection and the thrush goes wild.

Last week I saw a mum who has been diagnosed with mastitis *via a mammogram* because they were treating persistent blocked ducts as suspect cancer, yet even she knew baby wasn't latching on properly. The doc told her not to feed her milk to baby as it was infected (worst advice ever). Another was told baby (who was gaining well) was lactose intolerant (wrong - just bf mismanagement again).

There is so much poor advice from the people whose job it is to help women breastfeed. I'm just a volunteer yet I am doing the job of a HCP (or putting right their errors). Unfortunately many women have given up before they find out about other support. Phone the LLL helpline and find your local group, whatever stage you're at.

As for people who are embarrassed about you BFing in front of them - think about whose feelings matter most - baby who is born to drink your milk or adults who can learn to live with it! You can pretty much guarantee they weren't breastfed for long, if at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now