WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Meet the MNHQ moderators. Live chat Friday 8th Nov, 1-2pm

(325 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Nov-13 11:09:00

Hi all,
We promised you a webchat to discuss all things moderation (and anything else you fancy really). So, tomorrow lunchtime RebeccaMumsnet, RowanMumsnet and I (and possibly a few other team members - suspect that OliviaMumsnet might be lurking) will be on hand at 1pm to answer your questions. If you can't make it along, then do post your questions here in advance. Mind the guidelines at the top of the page now - only one question each and be nice wink.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 07-Nov-13 11:15:36

Often the moderators seem very slow, no doubt due to high volumes of reports.

If the volunteer night time moderation is successful do you have any plans to introduce volunteer mods full time?

NatashaBee Thu 07-Nov-13 11:35:31

Do you have non-mumsnet-moderator logins so you can post in AIBU about annoying colleagues? smile

ZingWantsCake Thu 07-Nov-13 12:36:29

Well, I really fancy discussing why - despite many pleas, begging, wishing and hoping - there is still no gin emoticon. shock just why?
it can't be hard!

I think that issue is an urgent one.
we need [gin]. really, we do.

and today would be the best for introducing it, since it my 1st MNiversary and I would love a special gift.
just saying.

[gin]

thanks for listenGIN.wink

LineRunner Thu 07-Nov-13 12:57:19

I am wondering, do you all have an agreed definition of goading?

And how will you manage to be fair and consistent in applying it?

Maryz Thu 07-Nov-13 13:04:57

I'm concerned about the number of deletions for "personal attacks" where really I don't believe it's an attack but part of an argument.

I was deleted the other day for saying someone was "pathetic". I was trying to make the point that passive-aggressive "poor me everyone is being horrible to me" posts aren't actually proof of bullying, but are possibly proof that the poster was wrong.

It seems to be that if a post is reported it is deleted, with no account taken of the discussion that is going on.

Maryz Thu 07-Nov-13 13:05:12

Or what Liney said, more succinctly grin

Maryz Thu 07-Nov-13 13:06:51

And have you given any thought to my suggestion of solving the overnight problem by having a "this thread has been reported by X number of individual posters, so we will automatically lock it until we can look at it" idea?

It would stop overnight stirrers and trolls.

Maryz Thu 07-Nov-13 13:07:43

Oops that's more than one. Sorry. Feel free to ignore.

though I'll probably come up with a few more

LovesBeingHereAgain Thu 07-Nov-13 14:34:07

Has the night mods gone live ? why wasn't it me

How are you going to get tge balance right, it's a fine line most of tge time and subjective.

Suddengeekgirl Thu 07-Nov-13 14:47:26

I don't fancy being a Mod! You just can't win sometimes! confused

My question is...
What is your preferred method of dealing with the grief spammers/ trolls and naughty MNers have caused you?
Chocolate, biscuits, gin or rocking in a corner? smile

Why would anyone want to volunteer to moderate MN overnight? Talk about a thankless task!

InkleWinkle Thu 07-Nov-13 16:17:31

What is the thing that posters do that annoys you most of all? (Apart from the obvious trolling)

mollythetortoise Thu 07-Nov-13 16:24:09

Overnight/ after hours does seem to be a weak spot.

I guess because everyone at mnhq is quite rightly in bed.
Would you consider paid and well trained over night mods?
A small team of 4 working in pairs could manage 14 shifts a week (7 nights x 2 mods each night)

I must declare an interest here as it is a job I would loveto do but that aside, the overnight mods could generally keep on top of the nightly shenanigans , freeing up Rowan's / Rebecca's time every morning, which must currently be spent deleting overnight threads and posts.

How long is Tech's to-do list, and what proportion of it is compatibility issues across standard site/mobile site/app?

moldingsunbeams Thu 07-Nov-13 17:21:06

As a local editor I can confirm tech's to do list is very very long!

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 07-Nov-13 17:55:46

I know the 'block poster' issue has been brought up many times before and is not considered a good idea (don't want it myself) BUT could there be the option to colour specified poster/s on a thread, as we can OPs posts? Would make it easier to just skip past the coloured posts as NFI.
red would be good

Hullygully Thu 07-Nov-13 18:23:29

These are the problems/flaws as I see them:

1. As human beings, mods, despite good intentions, will inevitably a) read things in different spirits b) apply the rules differently therefore.

2. A lot of threads bumble along full of people mucking about, being rude to each other etc etc and no one minds so no one reports so nothing happens. THEN on some threads, others take exception and report like mad, so that things seen as normally acceptable, are then deleted. Thus it looks like reporting=deletion

3. If people take a dislike/exception to someone, they deliberately report report report in a concerted attempt to get that person "in trouble" (I can't believe I'm having to type this), whereas said individual would never use such behaviour and thus has little defence against it.

I don't know the answers to any of it.

Hullygully Thu 07-Nov-13 18:25:47

Oh soz, I don't appear to have actually put the question. It is: What oh what can we do about the above.

And also, that it is really really really annoying that new people come on to MN, moan about it, get told to stop moaning and give it all a try, complain about being bullied and wanting it all to be different, complain more and report and then people here since fossils get told off for being unwelcoming etc. <gnashes teeth>

Hullygully Thu 07-Nov-13 18:26:08

? < forgot that

reelingintheyears Thu 07-Nov-13 18:53:12

^ Yup, totes agree.

BoreOfWhabylon Thu 07-Nov-13 18:59:29

And what Hully said

Hopasholic Thu 07-Nov-13 19:00:29

I would like to know the 'stats'

Is there really an influx of trolls at the moment and are you having to delete far more threads/posts than you usually do?
I've not been here long, 9 months <and have been made welcome but I'm not here for a gunfight (< bunfight! Auto correct!)

Does the trolling frequently happen in waves as some say or is it particularly bad now? Would preventing newbies from name changing within their first year help prevent trolls? Is it too easy to get back on even if you are banned?

Newbies who have a problem with the site being cliquey IMO seem to be ones who goad and troll. People have formed friendships over years, they are built over time just like RL ones are.

Maybe instead of the biscuit we should have a catsbumface grin < awaits my award from MNHQ for solving the trolling issue.

ShreddedHoops Thu 07-Nov-13 19:48:46

Every chat forum has mouldy (ahem) types who think they own a piece of the site and how it should work. The 'tone' of the site is IMO good and pretty standard. The nature of an anonymous forum is that all are equal. I don't like it when threads get derailed, and disagree with Hully that newbies are the problem, or over-reporting. I think MN's rules are fine as they are, but some posters who act as though they are some sort of 'old guard' (when there are thousands of us who've been here for donkeys) get very huffy when they break site rules and end up deleted or whatever. There shouldn't be an 'us and them' approach to old /new posters, plus to frequent namechangers like me it all reads very tedious. Read the thread and post accordingly - pretty simple, non? Hully seems confused on what the acceptable tone is - it's down to HQ, ultimately, so if you are 'larking around' on a thread with like minded posters and rules are broken but no-one reports, that doesn't mean you're not breaking them. If a bear shits in the woods... you're advocating a very 'don't snitch' attitude which helps no-one.

ShreddedHoops Thu 07-Nov-13 19:51:43

So my question to HQ would be - does it annoy you when some posters ask for special treatment (being allowed to break rules) because they've been members for a long time, and do you treat old / new posters differently when they are reported?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now