MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Delia Smith: live webchat, TODAY, Thursday 28 February, 1-2pm

(129 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Feb-13 09:46:18

To mark the end of #FoodFeb, our month long celebration of great food, we're delighted that Delia Smith is joining us tomorrow (Thursday 28 Feb) between 1 and 2pm for a webchat.

Delia last joined us in late November 2011 where she talked about everything from perfect gravy to Christmas pud. She's back this time to celebrate the launch of her latest book Delia's Cakes. Delia's Book of Cakes was first published in 1977, and has never been out of print. To celebrate its success it has undergone a complete contemporary makeover. Delia's Cakes includes timeless classics like coffee and walnut sponge and old-fashioned cherry cake as well as new recipes such as iced hidden strawberry cup cakes and chunky marmalade muffins.

The Delia Online Cookery School also launches this Thursday 28th at www.deliaonline.com.

Delia will be announcing the winners of our cake decorating competition and answering your questions between 1 and 2pm on Thursday. As ever, if you're unable to make that time, do post your question in advance to this thread.

ButteryJam Thu 28-Feb-13 12:31:38

Hi Delia,

Can you recommend a cake recipe that is really easy to make and contains raspberry jam inside it in some capacity to the other? Thanks!

Can you give 5 ideas for recipes that can be cooked from scratch in 30-45 minutes?

fallenempires Thu 28-Feb-13 12:53:41

Hi Delia!
A question re:fruitcakes for you.
Despite allowing a few days for the marzipan to dry out why do I sometimes find that it can apparently seep out in places leaving the sugar paste slightly tinged?Is this due to the quality of marzipan used or my overly generous feeding of the cake?I tend to use supermarket bought marzipan but always home made or Renshaw sugar paste.

sophe29 Thu 28-Feb-13 13:02:50

Hi Delia

One of my earliest memories is being taken out of nursery ( aged about 3 or 4 years)to come to one of your book signings with my mum. Apparently I told you I made very good biscuits and would you like the recipe?

Anyway, 30 years later I still regularly use your recipes and love your TV series. I was watching an old one recently where you introduced us a new soft cheese called "mozzarella". You also introduced us all to items such as cranberries and halloumi, all of which were very exotic at the time.

What do you think the next big, as yet undiscovered food stuff/trend is going to be?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Feb-13 13:03:17

We're delighted to welcome Delia back to Mumsnet. She's here and ready to answer your questions.

Iseeall Thu 28-Feb-13 13:04:52

Hello Delia

I have been a big fan for years, your 1980s complete cookery book is my cookery bible.
My question/cookery problem is icing. I love to make your traditional xmas cake but cannot ice a cake to say my life. I have tried the nut topped cake but dh does not like nut topped cakes. Help please....thank

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:05:14

Hello Mumsnet, I'm very happy to be here again, last time was sensational. This is a very special day for me, because it's the first time a cookery book and an online cookery school have coincided and I hope you'll all join in. Have a look at the cookery school, and give me some feedback from all the family!

So now, keep the questions coming

Hi Delia, Welcome,

I've already posted this further up, but do you have plans for any more TV programmes at the moment?

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:08:00

Iseeall

Hello Delia

I have been a big fan for years, your 1980s complete cookery book is my cookery bible.
My question/cookery problem is icing. I love to make your traditional xmas cake but cannot ice a cake to say my life. I have tried the nut topped cake but dh does not like nut topped cakes. Help please....thank

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm not very good at icing myself, and so what we do is either make fondant icing, which you just roll out and plonk on top of the cake, along with some almond icing. Or, you can actually buy it ready made. All the instructions are in the book, or online, and we are a special video technique of icing a sponge cake on the cookery school.

Lostonthemoors Thu 28-Feb-13 13:08:41

I am an absolute baking novice and haven't made a cake since school smile

I now need to make one for a posh-ish charity afternoon tea for families - what is fool-proof, impressive and very easily sliceable?

Wifey63 Thu 28-Feb-13 13:08:42

Hi Delia,
I have attempted to make your Queens of Puddings several times recently, and used the bain marie method as suggested to cook the custard part of the dish. However, after adding the jam and meringue and returning to the oven, the meringue comes out perfectly, but the custard base is still liquid. Can you make any suggestions. Many thanks.
Lydia

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:09:04

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes

Hi Delia, Welcome,

I've already posted this further up, but do you have plans for any more TV programmes at the moment?

I have no plans to do anymore tv programmes because now we've started the cookery school online. I am very excited and very passionate about it as I think it's the very best thing I've ever done and it's by far the best way to teach people the basic skills of cooking. I need all of you on mumsnet to give me some feedback when you've all had a chance to have a look.

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:09:40

sophe29

Hi Delia

One of my earliest memories is being taken out of nursery ( aged about 3 or 4 years)to come to one of your book signings with my mum. Apparently I told you I made very good biscuits and would you like the recipe?

Anyway, 30 years later I still regularly use your recipes and love your TV series. I was watching an old one recently where you introduced us a new soft cheese called "mozzarella". You also introduced us all to items such as cranberries and halloumi, all of which were very exotic at the time.

What do you think the next big, as yet undiscovered food stuff/trend is going to be?

I'm really sorry, I don't have a crystal ball! But, my ambition is that the online cookery school will replace the gap that's been left when cooking was taken out of schools, so the next really big trend will be home cooking back on the map.

Also, I was touched by your memory of 30 years ago!

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:10:07

funkypigeon

Hi Delia

I love your all in one sponge cake recipe.

I've never managed to make a chocolate cake that is super moist though. Can you give me some pointers on how to achieve this?

Hello Funky Pigeon:
If you want a really super moist chocolate cake I have two recipes that were in the old book and are now in the new book which do not contain flour. And this is what makes them super moist. One is called Squidgy Chocolate Cake and the other is called Moist Chocolate and Rum Squares. Hope you like them.

DadOnIce Thu 28-Feb-13 13:12:02

Hello Delia - what recipe do you think people are most put off doing because they think it is too complex, when it is actually quite straightforward?

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:12:33

fallenempires

Hi Delia!
A question re:fruitcakes for you.
Despite allowing a few days for the marzipan to dry out why do I sometimes find that it can apparently seep out in places leaving the sugar paste slightly tinged?Is this due to the quality of marzipan used or my overly generous feeding of the cake?I tend to use supermarket bought marzipan but always home made or Renshaw sugar paste.

I haven't really got any answer on this one, other than I would use thicker icing. If it's seeping through, maybe the icing is too thin. I also wouldn't worry too much because it's about eating the cake, and just talking to you about it now makes me long to have a slice!

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:13:02

blondieminx

Hi Delia

How wonderful to have you on Mumsnet smile

What is your favourite "quick dinner"?

Hello Blondie Minx: My favourite quick supper dish is an omelette made with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a green salad and it beats any ready meal going.

Thank you, I will certainly be looking at the online school, my children are at the perfect age (9 and 7) and we can hopefully use it on the Ipad while we cook.

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:14:05

Wifey63

Hi Delia,
I have attempted to make your Queens of Puddings several times recently, and used the bain marie method as suggested to cook the custard part of the dish. However, after adding the jam and meringue and returning to the oven, the meringue comes out perfectly, but the custard base is still liquid. Can you make any suggestions. Many thanks.
Lydia

I fear this isn't my recipe, as I've never made a custard in a bain marie for a Queen of Puddings, so might I suggest that you try my recipe! It's brilliant!

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:14:45

TotallyEggFlipped

Hi Delia
I love your books and have had great success with your recipes.
I was wondering if you ever turn to other peoples cookbooks and if so, which ones?
(also, do you ever wish you'd got to do the Great British Bake Off?)
Thank you.

Thank you I am so glad you like my books and yes I do like other people's
cookbooks. Elizabeth David, Robert Carrier, Margaret Costa, Simon Hopkinson are some of my favourites.

No don't want to do the Great British Bake off or be a judge for any cookery
competition. I always feel too sorry for the people who lose.

MrsLyman Thu 28-Feb-13 13:14:45

Hello, am I too late for a question? I'm currently trying to expand my range of family dinners. What is your favourite quick, easy but delicious dinner?

VenetiaLanyon Thu 28-Feb-13 13:14:58

Hi Delia,

I love all your books, and come back to them year after year.
Do you have any tips to stop fairy cakes coming out of the oven all pointy and mountainous? They don't look so good when you have to cut the tops off.

And how do I ice them neatly; my icing slides all over the place and down the sides of the paper case....

Thanks for any pointers! smile

cairnterrier Thu 28-Feb-13 13:15:54

Hi Delia

I love baking and it's something that I enjoy doing with my children as well. Sadly my eldest son has an egg allergy (and fish but that's a less common ingredient in cakes). Would you consider doing something with recipes that avoid some of the most common allergens so that we can all cook with our children?

Thank you.

PS Go the canaries!

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:16:01

Lostonthemoors

I am an absolute baking novice and haven't made a cake since school smile

I now need to make one for a posh-ish charity afternoon tea for families - what is fool-proof, impressive and very easily sliceable?

This is such an easy one to answer! If you go to Delia Online now, this moment, there is a very detailed lesson on how to make the perfect sponge cake, and made properly, there's nothing to beat it. It will slice like a dream!

DeliaSmith Thu 28-Feb-13 13:16:13

magimedi

Back in the 1980's, when I was learning to cook, I remember you being on Womans' Hour & the presenter asking you what you did about lumpy gravy. You replied that everyone had lumpy gravy sometimes & that's what sieves were made for.

That remark gave me such confidence about cooking & I've never forgotten it.

Thank you.

Your comment about the sieve has made my day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now