WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Talk to Michael Mosley about Intermittent Fasting, Wednesday 23 January, 12pm - 1pm.

(167 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-13 13:10:22

On Wednesday at 12pm midday Michael Mosley will be joining us for a webchat and to answer questions on Intermittent Fasting (also known as 5:2 diet).

Michael is a medical Journalist whose BBC Horizon Programme in August last year first introduced the UK to Intermittent Fasting. His latest book The Fast Diet presents the science behind the diet, whilst his co-author, Mimi Spencer explains the practicalities and how to go about it. The idea behind Fast Dieting is that you eat normally for five days and then then consume just 500 calories (women) and 600 calories (men) on two fasting days each week.

If you're interested in finding out more, join Michael Mosley on Wednesday 23 January at 12 midday or post a question to Michael in advance here.

Mumsnet Academy is now offering you the chance to join 5:2 The Fast Diet Course with Michael Mosley, a one day course in Central London on Friday 15 February. Book your tickets

androbbob Tue 22-Jan-13 13:28:28

Is this diet ok for type 2 diabetic who needs to shift at least 2 stone of weight. Diabetes is diet controlled only and has been for the last 5 years, but this will change as I get older if I do not shift the pounds. Any thoughts?

DoughaDeer Tue 22-Jan-13 13:54:08

Hi - I wondered how long it would be before they collared you into MN!

Been doing the Fast Diet since the programme and not really for weight loss - although that was attractive but for the other health benefits. I am now happily at a great weight and don't call it a diet - it's just something me and DH do. What I have noticed is significant lack of awful pre-menstrual bloating /mood swings etc etc. Seriously - it's radically changed which I'm surprised at as I'm heading fast into Peri-menopause!! Is this a reported (good) side effect?! Anyone else mentioned it.
Thanks. PS - book is fab grin

Allaquandry Tue 22-Jan-13 13:57:23

Same question as bunty, really. Could you have a lunch at 12.00, then fast until 12.30 the next day and then have a lunch? Seems like a cheat really as you only miss out on 2 meals, to 3. Not sure if this would derail the diet?

scripsi Tue 22-Jan-13 14:02:17

Drat, I will be at a job interview at that time! I do not particularly need to lose weight but have started using the fast because I have a very unfortunate genetic history - both of my parents died in their early/late forties, my grandparents likewise and I want to stick around for my DC.
Would it be possible to expand upon any research done on fasting for women (in particular) and those who are at a normal weight?

VenetiaLanyon Tue 22-Jan-13 14:09:29

Hi,

I only have about 7lbs to lose, currently exercise for 5 days a week and am considering trying this diet.

Considering the above profile, will it work for me? How do you calculate how many calories you should be eating on your normal eating days, and should you be exercising on fast days?

Thanks smile

Oblomov Tue 22-Jan-13 17:04:24

I am a type 1 diabetic, since birth, who has never had to diet before and found dieting extremely hard recently, because I kept going low and thus needing lucozade, which defeats the object.

There have been loads of great recipes and ideas on the 5:2 threads on Mn, but i bet there are loads of recipes, tit-bits of support and ideas, of zero calories noodles etc, from all over the world.
Could you , and Mimi from the Daily Mail, collate all the recipes , ideas, and support and bits into a book please?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Jan-13 17:07:08

If you're interested in hearing more about Intermittent Fasting, Mumsnet Academy is now running a one day course in Central London with Michael Mosley. 5:2 The Fast Diet Course will be held in Central London on Friday 15 February. Book your tickets

lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 17:08:14

I am not interested in fasting, dieting or weight loss.

But I heard you on the radio saying something like Walking is the best exercise for weight loss, or perhaps the best for maintaining weight loss. I tried to Google but only came up with "3 minutes of activity" a day advice, nothing else (tied to your name) about the documented benefits of walking over other forms of exercise.

could you please clarify what you meant about the advantages of walking over other forms of exercise?

lljkk Tue 22-Jan-13 17:08:53

ps: with cited research studies, would be nice, by the way, about the walking advantages, I mean.

vix0306 Tue 22-Jan-13 17:21:10

I have been trying to follow the diet but think there must be something very wrong with me as I can't stick to the 500 cals a day (most people say this is surprisingly easy) and on the non-fast days I want to binge. This is also difficult as a lot of others following the diet say that they aren't tempted to overeat and in fact struggle to eat enough. There doesn't seem to be much guidance on what to eat on non-fast days apart from what you want. How many calories should I be eating and should these at breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I have suffered from binge eating disorder and all the dietary advice on recovering from an eating disorder is not to allow yourself to get hungry (by eating regularly) as skipping meals can lead to a binge. I find though that once I start eating I can't stop. I really want to be able to eat to hunger but I don't know what that is- I just think I have an uncontrollable appetite. I really want to be able to follow the 5:2 diet- Do you have any advice??

Oblomov Tue 22-Jan-13 17:29:08

Oh by the way, I am a type 1 on a pump, so can in theory, fast. I should be able to eat what I want, when I want, or chose not to eat at all, because my basals are set accordingly.
I have often been asked by my consultant to no carb, protein only for breakfast, So I do not se that this diet would be difficult.
Am intrigued as to why type 2's couldn't do , re posts below.

Marking place.

janmoomoo Tue 22-Jan-13 18:25:18

Great programme and interesting research.

I would also be interested to hear if hypothyroidism has any known impact on this diet.

I lost weight on this diet for four weeks but then started putting weight on. What are the common mistakes / pitfalls with this diet with regards to weight loss (that I probably fell into).

insancerre Tue 22-Jan-13 18:40:40

I have doing the 5/2 diet since august with dh who needed to lose some weight.
We have both lost weight, and now find that we are not as strict with the fasting days. I heard you on bbc breakfast say that you are doing 6/1 now to maintain the diet. Would you recommend we switch to a 6/1 now that we have lost the weight that we wanted to?
What are the health benefits for a middle aged man with high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a hiarus hernia (oh and a wheat intolerance too)?

thesun Tue 22-Jan-13 18:42:11

A bit of an odd question here, but is there an 'opposite' to this type of diet that would aid weight gain?
Or, can you offer any other advice on how to achieve this in a healthy way (like, would increasing the proportion of starchy/cereal foods eaten compared to other groups be a good way?)
Thank you

OxfordBags Tue 22-Jan-13 18:56:12

Hello Dr Mosley, I have a question that I hope you will respond to, as I'm sure, given the nature of this site, many MumsNetters will also be interested in knowing the reply. It's simple: is this diet regime suitable when you are breastfeeding?

I am still breastfeeding my son at 22 months, so I'm not as worried about side effects like reduced flow as I would have been if he was a lot younger, but I don't want to do anything that could adversely affect my breast milk, ie toxins being released into my milk or similar.

Thank you in advance. I've just got your book for Kindle and it is excellent so far.

TepidCoffee Tue 22-Jan-13 19:09:53

I should have been clearer in my initial post that the review I link to does not come out particularly favourably on the evidence of fasting for women.

Badvoc Tue 22-Jan-13 19:48:47

Hello dr Mosley
I watched the horizon programme and have read the book and I think it sounds great.
However.
I am finding it very hard to have only 500 cals on fast days.
I also find it hard when I am on my period.
Do you have any tips for making the fast easier to do? Time wise etc.
Is there aypnything I can do to assuage my pmt/hormone related binging?
Thanks! smile

happynewmind Tue 22-Jan-13 19:58:06

Can I just ask anyone , do you have to do the 2 fasting days together or is it ok to split?

I have 4 stone to lose and am an emotional eater.

Badvoc Tue 22-Jan-13 19:59:18

You can split it happy.

Issy Tue 22-Jan-13 20:10:24

Hello Dr Mosley

Could you summarise the benefits of the 5:2 diet other than for weight loss?

I'm 49 and don't appear to have a problem maintaining a BMI of 21 (although that may be about to change as I enter the menopause!), but am intrigued by the general health benefits of this regime.

Currently I run 3x a week and eat reasonably well.

Thanks

inmindsight Tue 22-Jan-13 20:14:21

Thanks, It really works for me, but I need to switch my mind in to doing it and I am also easily led by others...... It is great as you can start any time any day again after a failure and just carry on. Now on my way back to normality after the excess of Christmas and New Year (actually it was the whole of Nov and Dec....)
thanks again for a very enjoyable program.

happynewmind Tue 22-Jan-13 20:24:44

Thanks Badvoc

thedicewoman Tue 22-Jan-13 20:33:32

already asked but I'll ask it again, is it ok to do while breastfeeding?

great298 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:18:10

Hi,
Thanks Dr Mosley for publicising the diet. My question is:
Why did the researchers who were featured in your programme share this with info/diet with you instead of publishing the work themselves? Is it because they are still doing further research and there might be side effects/risks we need to consider before undertaking this diet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now