WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Professor Robert Winston, all about baby and child development, Wednesday 19 December, 1pm

(139 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 18-Dec-12 10:03:20

We're very happy that Professor Robert Winston will be joining us on Wednesday afternoon at 1pm for a live webchat!

Professor Winston is one of the founders of IVF and presenter of a number of BBC documentaries including 'Child of our time', Super Human and the award winning 'Human Body'. Professor Robert Winston will be talking to us about brain development and how you can help your baby in their first few years.

His latest venture is advising and presenting 'The Essential Baby Care Guide'. This set of four DVDs features leading experts research including that from the Royal College of Paediatrics, UNICEF UK, St Johns Ambulance, The National Literacy Trust, the Meningitis Research Foundation and the Child Accident Prevention Trust.

The complete guide costs just £35, whilst individual DVDs are £10 each (inc. P&P) . Mumsnetters are able to get a £10 discount on the Complete Guide by entering the code MUMSNET when purchasing online before 31st December 2012. See: www.essentialparent.com

Join Robert on Wednesday at 1pm or, as always, please post your advanced questions on this thread.

blossombath Wed 19-Dec-12 20:32:35

Great webchat - lovely of Prof Winston to answer so many questions. Thanks!

MrsJREwing Wed 19-Dec-12 21:50:17

Yes lovely webchat, so pleased there will be more child of our time.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Wed 19-Dec-12 22:47:08

Ooh, I can't wait for the next update on Child of Our Time - like another poster my DC's are around the same age - one slightly older, one slightly younger - so I've been following it closely.

Thanks for such an interesting webchat thanks

jetstar Thu 20-Dec-12 07:52:24

Very interesting! Thank you!

RailRoaded Thu 20-Dec-12 08:52:05

My question wasn't answered even though people who asked after me got a response. Goes off to sulk...

zzzzz Thu 20-Dec-12 09:28:43

Mne wasn't either. I think there's just only so much time, so it's inevitable that only some ar going to be lucky,

gazzalw Thu 20-Dec-12 09:49:04

Didn't answer mine either but was incredibly impressed by the number he did answer!

BoffinMum Thu 20-Dec-12 10:45:06

MNHQ, could you send the following follow up question to him for me? If I ask very nicely?

If you took two children who had both experienced equally good attachment/bonding with their parents, and one child lived in a house where people laughed a lot and encouraged fun, whereas the other child lived in a house where people were habitually grumpy, would growing up in this environment have a physical effect on a developing child's brain (as well as his or her sense of optimism/resilience)?

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Thu 20-Dec-12 16:28:21

They wouldn't have equally good attachment and bonding with their parents IMHO Boffin !

BoffinMum Thu 20-Dec-12 18:48:08

Why not? Because grumpy people don't bond? That's a serious question, by the way.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Thu 20-Dec-12 18:58:06

I think people who know how to laugh and have fun probably have the personal resources to bond better with their babies yes Boffin
Very wise people like the Dalai Lama usually have a well developed sense of humour.
I imagine like many things successful bonding and attachment is on a spectrum - but probably as long as you (not personally obvs !) and baby aren't at extreme negative end it can be OK developmentally for the child ?

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Thu 20-Dec-12 19:00:57

BTW I can be quite grumpy myself - I blame my mother wink (half-joking - and she has poorly developed sense of humour herself - think Benny Hill grin)

LeBFG Fri 21-Dec-12 09:58:11

I have a similar mum to Juggling grin. I can be quite grumpy/negative too so naturally think there's a link grin. Interesting you mentioned the word resilience though Boffin. I often wonder whether people born into less well-adjusted families, let us say, are more resourceful (relying more on inner resources) and resilient to life's buffetings. Dunno really though - something I've wondered before now though.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Fri 21-Dec-12 11:09:07

< waves to LeBFG .... just for fun ! smile >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now