MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Naomi Wolf: live webchat TODAY, Thursday 6 September, 12pm to 1pm

(410 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Sep-12 15:22:16

Naomi Wolf is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 6 September at 12 noon. Naomi's latest book, Vagina - A New Biography, has attracted major media attention this month and we're delighted she's joining us to tell us more about the book and answer your questions. 

Described as 'exhilarating and groundbreaking', Vagina combines cultural history, physiology and personal memoir to explore the role of female desire and how it affects female identity, creativity and confidence.

Naomi Wolf is author of seven books including the bestseller, The Beauty Myth. She travels regularly to speak about gender equality and social justice. She lives in New York and is working towards a doctorate at New College, Oxford University. 

Please post your question to Naomi in advance, or set the date in your diary to join us this Thursday at midday to chat to Naomi 'live'.

PretzelTime Wed 12-Sep-12 15:04:17

Yeah sad

aufaniae Wed 12-Sep-12 15:05:22

Any sign of that public apology yet then?

TunipTheVegemal Wed 12-Sep-12 15:10:36

Wow, she has an amazing ability to avoid reality and convince herself of things rather than face up to criticism, hasn't she?

I dare say her agent is in negotiations over the apology. hmm

prettybird Wed 12-Sep-12 15:20:04

hmm

She really doesn't understand her own lack of scientific rigour methodology basic knowledge.

TunipTheVegemal Wed 12-Sep-12 15:27:08

Dear Naomi,
People are not saying that writing a book about the physiology of the vagina and its connection with the brain is essentialist.
The point they are making is that ascribing a unique importance to the vagina-brain connection is essentialist.
They are also not criticising you for writing about the physiology of the vagina and its connection with the brain, they are criticising you for having a poor grasp of our current level of knowledge with regard to the physiology of the vagina and its connection with the brain.
HTH
love Tunip x

well any doubts i had that naomi was a feminist no more and actually rather a misogynist have been waved away by her appearance here (and it was still redeemable) then that article.

all that space to write an apology and instead more book promotion and strawman arguments and patronising of her critics.

ho hum. seeya naomi. enjoy the rewards that come with selling out. shame you had to sell out the victims of rape in the process.

chaya5738 Wed 12-Sep-12 18:25:27

Still waiting on that apology re: appalling Assange comments....

NurseRatched Fri 28-Sep-12 23:45:22
Fobwatch Sat 29-Sep-12 09:13:27

Just watched the Paxman interview.

Speechless.

The bit where he questions her on what it isbif you wake up in the morning and find someone has had sex with you whikst you slept and her response is so revealing. She says "well, the law sees it as rape, that's the law"

comixminx Wed 03-Oct-12 08:34:54

I see her current doctorate at Oxford is about the discourses about sexuality in the nineteenth century. Pity: she could be doing experimental psychology and actually learning about neuropsychology properly. Oh well. Not like I care but she would then be in a position to actually learn from the criticisms that have been made, maybe...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now