WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. More here.

Mumsnet live webchat with Judy Murray, tennis player, coach and mum to Andy and Jamie - Friday 29th July, 12-1pm

(92 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:21:45

The strawberries and cream are coming out at MNHQ on Friday lunchtime when we'll be joined by Judy Murray for a webchat at midday until 1pm.  Best known as being mum to tennis stars Andy  and Jamie Murray, Judy herself can hold her own in the courts and won 64 national Scottish titles and represented Great Britain in the World Student Games. Judy is a PCA Qualified Coach and has coached at all levels. Inspired by her experience as a tennis coach and parent, Judy has created a programme called Set4Sport, which showcases easy and accessible ways for parents to play with their children that develop the skills required for playing sport. The programme centres around a book of activities, ball skills, and exercises based on the games Judy played with her sons when they were growing up and is supported by The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), long-term sponsors of the Murrays. The book details a range of ways parents can help children acquire basic physical skills in a fun environment and is available to download for free from www.Set4Sport.com

If you want to put a question to Judy, join us on Friday 29th July at 12 midday or if you can't make that time, send in your question in advance to this thread.

kipperandtiger Sat 30-Jul-11 04:19:14

Thank you very much, Judy!

blinkineck Fri 29-Jul-11 14:59:42

Lainey. She didn't answer mine either. Don't worry.

caughtinanet Fri 29-Jul-11 14:57:20

tennisfan - ime an 11 year old playing in their first tournament is unlikely to win any matches as they will be playing against children who've been competing since they were 8 and it can be difficult to catch up.

If you haven't done already I'd make sure he doesn't enter tournaments that are at too high a level within his age group as its easy to get disheartened by being beaten.

ceebeegeebies Fri 29-Jul-11 13:42:30

Ice Me too grin I often fantasise about Ds1 and DS2 becoming top tennis players and being able to travel the world following them - my ideal life I think wink

Judy thank you for answering my question and you seem lovely smile

Lainey1981 Fri 29-Jul-11 13:32:02

Me too ice my ds is only 8 months and I already have his tennis career planned out. Hope I can be as much of a good influence as she seems to be with her boys, who have clearly been raised v well.

Lainey1981 Fri 29-Jul-11 13:30:25

Really loved the web chat. Am trying not to be offended that mine was the only question not answered hmm
grin it was probably boring

When I grow up, I want to be Judy Murray.

LilyBolero Fri 29-Jul-11 13:24:13

TheGrimSweeper - thank you, he is v funny about tennis! His day was made playing with our Spanish friend, who told him he has played with Rafa, ds1 just couldn't believe it!

Elemis Fri 29-Jul-11 13:16:08

she was lovely

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 13:15:27

TennisFan

Hi Judy
My DS is entering his first tournament this week - he has been beaten in his singles matches - he seems to not be playing the game well. So although he hits the ball well, can serve good etc he doesnt seem to win the points that count.
Is he spending too much time on coaching and not enough time on how to win a game?

He is 11 and loves the game, but has been very frustrated this week losing 4 matches to what he perceives as weaker players!
thanks

try to get him to work out how to analyse strengths and weaknesses in his opponents..how do you make that opponent struggle or hit a weak shot. then put the ball in to that area of the court, but be ready for the short abll and know what you want to do with it.

other things you can try are - encourage him to watch tennis on tv and be the commentator. that way he will address the tactical side of the game rather than the technical. it will give him a lot more focus on the strategy....."Nadal serves wide on the ad court to Federers backhand. Federer hits the return short in to the service box. Nadal runs up fast and smacks the ball to the other side of the court. Makes Federer run the full width of the court. He sticks up a high ball and Nadal smashes it away to win the point." By actually talking out loud about what is actually happening, makes you think about how to play the point, rather than how to hit the ball.

And that little exercise costs nothing......

LilyBolero Fri 29-Jul-11 13:14:52

Thank you so much Judy, really good webchat, and good luck to Andy and Jamie for the rest of the season (and beyond!). smile

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Jul-11 13:13:05

Thanks very much to Judy.

She has given us three signed Set4Sport books to give away to Mumsnetters, they show loads of games you can play with your children to improve their sporty skills and coordination, based on the stuff Judy did with Andy and Jamie as kids.

We'll pull three names randomly from the people who've taken part in the chat and mail you. smile

PortBlacksandIsleOfDogs Fri 29-Jul-11 13:09:07

I enjoyed that grin

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 13:08:42

Wow how quickly did that hour go....? Thanks so much for all the questions. Hope you enjoyed it as much as i did. Forgot how fast I could type. If you are anywhere near any of the UK Set4Sport Roadshows.....why not pop by and join in?

Free fun day out for the family. Would love to see you! smile

TennisFan Fri 29-Jul-11 13:07:43

Hi Judy
My DS is entering his first tournament this week - he has been beaten in his singles matches - he seems to not be playing the game well. So although he hits the ball well, can serve good etc he doesnt seem to win the points that count.
Is he spending too much time on coaching and not enough time on how to win a game?

He is 11 and loves the game, but has been very frustrated this week losing 4 matches to what he perceives as weaker players!
thanks

LilyBolero Fri 29-Jul-11 13:07:27

(sorry that should read 'as well as ds1' - can't type!)

LilyBolero Fri 29-Jul-11 13:06:36

lol @ Bouncy!!!

I'll look at your Set4Sport pages, they look great, and I'll try some of the games with the kids - as well as ds2, the next 2 are both starting to get into tennis now (they're 8 and 5), the baby is too small! But I think looking at your games, the older 3 will all enjoy them!

caughtinanet Fri 29-Jul-11 13:06:20

Annoyingly I've just got back and missed it all but I'd like to say what a good chat this was (nothing to do with Judy agreeing with me of course grin) and I'll be looking at the set4sport website.

Its a pity there wasn't more time for questions but thank you for taking the time to answer.

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 13:03:56

LilyBolero

I third that comment about the criticism - I hate hearing Andrew Castle and the like pontificating about whether Andy will ever win a slam, or whether Federer is finished....because Andrew Castle was SO successful wasn't he! hmm

you said it...not me! Im told that Andrew Castles new nickname is Bouncy....

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 13:00:45

LeninGrad

www.set4sport.com/ looks good thanks, will try some ideas with mine.

Just another note that I think it's great to see you all being supportive, must be difficult being in the public eye and maintaining your own identity, hopefully the balance is shifting a bit so people can just be themselves.

glad you enjoyed set4sport. If you get a chacne would you email me on judy@set4sport.com and elet me know what you thought of the game s and the content.

If you fancy joining us on any of the set4sport roadshows...hers the dates and venues...we would love to see you..;

Aug 10 - South Shields
Aug 16 - Halifax
Aug 22 - Brighton
Aug 23 - Manchester
All free. Nice family day out!!!!!

Full details on set4sport site and set4sprot facebook page.....

It's gone so quickly sad

Thank you so much for coming to mn Judy, It's been one of my favourite webchats.

Set4sport looks great too, will be trying some stuff out! Good luck to you and the boys, you're doing a fab job.

lily your DS sounds awesome smile

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 12:57:19

carriemumsnet

Two questions if that's allowed!

Firstly as someone who already struggles to keep up when playingtennis with my 10 year old ds, do you still manage to play tennis with Andy and Jamie?

Second: As you can see from above am not the best at tennis but would love to play more with friends. Some of the mums at school sometimes suggest playing but when folks say they play tennis "a bit" I've discovered that can mean anything to v basic player like me to ex junior wimbledon champ? Any tips for mums wanting to return to tennis without experiencing total humiliation?

Last time I played tennis with Andy was about 18 months ago. when he clearly had nobody else to play with......As i havent played competitively for about 8 years and mostly coach 14u players...I was not surprisingly struggling to keep up. Hes smacking balls side to side at the rate of knots and im popping them back in the service box. He says "mum - what the matter with you? You used to be good." I said " and you used to be 12". smile

Its very common for mums who played at school to return to the game when they have their kids. Tennis can be a tricky sport to come back to in terms of fnding someone to play with who is a similar level and who can keep the ball going (control it). Nothing worse than spending most of your time picking balls off the next court or the back fence. If you are coming back to the game, make it easier for yourself by trying with green low pressure tennis balls. You can buy them in most sports shops. They move more slowly through the air and are lighter. Give you more time to react to the ball. So it helps you to get your stokes and footwork under control...and when you are ready ...move back to the yellow balls. Sorted

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 12:51:40

SenoraTorres

Hi Judy,

was so excited when saw you were going to be on mumsnet. We're big fans of the Murray family in this house and want to echo the comments of a previous poster and say that you have all rejuvenated our interest in tennis too. I really enjoyed watching Andy and Jamie play doubles in the Davis cup and hope to see them play together more in the future. I also really enjoy listening to Jamie when he's commentating on radio 5.

Jamie once said that Andy's gameplan is to wait for the other player to make a mistake and this is pretty much his gameplan. Has Andy had to become more aggressive in his play and has this changed his personality at all?

If i edit this anymore will run out of time to post!!

Glad you enjoyed the Davis Cup. It was a fab atmosphere and the boys loved playing in front of a "home" crowd. The support was amazing. Not sure I totally agree with Jamie because I think Andy has got a lot more aggressive over the last couple of yearssmile Tennis is an individual sport and everyone has a style to suit their physique and their personality. Andys game is not based on power...its what makes him interesting...i reckon! smile

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Jul-11 12:51:12

Two questions if that's allowed!

Firstly as someone who already struggles to keep up when playingtennis with my 10 year old ds, do you still manage to play tennis with Andy and Jamie?

Second: As you can see from above am not the best at tennis but would love to play more with friends. Some of the mums at school sometimes suggest playing but when folks say they play tennis "a bit" I've discovered that can mean anything to v basic player like me to ex junior wimbledon champ? Any tips for mums wanting to return to tennis without experiencing total humiliation?

JudyMurray Fri 29-Jul-11 12:46:34

TheGrimSweeper

<waves>
Welcome to mn Judy!
In addition to my questions, I too would be very interested in hearing about how you cope with emotions watching your boys and how this has changed over the years.

If not that many questions ...could you also tell us about how you managed you relationship as mum plus more with the boys growing up? Did you do any coaching? How did you seperate your involvement in their tennis from being a mum? Not sure I expressed myself well on that one hmm

Good question.....i find it a lot more stressful nowadays watching the boys because the expectations (esp on Andy) are enormous. When they wre growing up and playing through juniors, for the most part its just about having fun and trying to improve. I think it helped me a lot that I was a coach and could analyse the matches and the performances without getting too caught up emotionally!

Re the coaching...I found a great young caoch to work with the boys when Andy was 12 and Jamie 13. He was just learning to coach and was very keen to learn. He had bleached blond hair and diamond studs in both ears. Very Beckham and very cool (acc A and J). So i mentored him to work with the boys and that allowed ne to be a step back. His name was Leon Smith and he is now Head of Mens Tennis at LTA and Davis Cup captain. Minus the earrings!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now