Lines in books that make your throat catch

(610 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

pongping Sun 25-Aug-13 08:50:52

Just been re-reading When We Were Very Young, and the lines in the last poem, Vespers, bring a tear to my eye every time:

Hush, hush, whisper who dares,
Christopher Robin is saying his prayers

I'm not sure why - I think it's the beauty of the innocence, the image of a lost world (the book is all nurses and stockings)?

In fact, just the title of the collection gives me a shiver.

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 25-Aug-13 09:40:02

We loved all the poems & stories of AAMilne when my DD's were young.

There's a pooh & piglet line that always gets me....hang on I'l find it!

JassyAlconleigh Sun 25-Aug-13 09:44:49

Please don't post the line at the very end about always being there. It was on the radio last week, I had to pull over.

There's a bit at the end of Oliver's Story (sequel to Love Story) where he says all the things he is doubt with his life and asks what he would 'be if Jenny were still alive? The answer, I also would still be alive.'

AlpacaPicnic Sun 25-Aug-13 09:45:04

A very sad book that I read a few years ago - the name eludes me - one of the characters is a albino teenage boy who hasn't made any friends. His mother makes him go out to try to meet some people...

'He sat there in his new blue shirt, sipping at a diet coke. He spoke to nobody and nobody spoke to him'

That scene has stuck with me much longer than the rest of the story did.

Monroe Sun 25-Aug-13 09:46:13

Not so much makes my throat catch but makes me sob out loud. Every time. Philip Pullman, The Subtle Knife, the scene where Lee and Hester die.

"Then she was pressing her little proud broken self against his face, as close as she could get, and then they died.”

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 25-Aug-13 09:46:47

“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind.
"Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand.
"I just wanted to be sure of you.” 

MrsWolowitz Sun 25-Aug-13 09:47:09

Les Mis whilst being introduced to Gavroche:

"The pavements he slept on were neither as cold or as hard as his mother's heart towards him"

Or words to that effect sad

He's my favourite literary character.

marvingay Sun 25-Aug-13 09:49:45

The first sentence of A Prayer for Owen Meany.

“I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice – not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother’s death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.”

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 25-Aug-13 09:50:29

...and of course the line at the end of The Railway Children....
"Daddy ...my Daddy"

and "I love you to the moon & back"

Oooh OP what have you started!!!!

( leaves tissues)

Chubfuddler Sun 25-Aug-13 09:53:53

The ending of the Pursuit of Love

^But I think she would have been happy with Fabrice,' I said. 'He was the great love of her life, you know.'
Oh, dulling,' said my mother, sadly. 'One always thinks that. Every, every time.^

mayaswell Sun 25-Aug-13 09:55:38

MissMarples that's the one that came to mind for me.

daisygatsby Sun 25-Aug-13 09:56:07

I recently read the Paris wife by Paula MacLaine about Hemingway and his first wife in Paris (and subsequent break up of that marriage ) then I read a moveable feast which is hemingways account of that time. There's a really moving passage about his affair and hadleys innocence from the whole thing which starts ' the bulldozing of three people's hearts to destroy one happiness and build another ...' He talks about his wife's subsequent happiness and marriage to another man as 'the one good thing that came out of that year '

Not very well rephrased by me but its an honest account of an affair and its impact

bittenipples Sun 25-Aug-13 09:57:20

Black Beauty, when Ginger dies and is taken away.

Also not a line from a book but the title of a famous painting of a soldier with his dying horse in WW1

'Goodbye Old Friend'

Just writing that has bought tears to my eyes!

daisygatsby Sun 25-Aug-13 09:57:25

chub that's a great quote. I don't know that book - who's it by ?

tywysogesgymraeg Sun 25-Aug-13 09:58:06

The Railway Children one, definitely

Chubfuddler Sun 25-Aug-13 09:58:30

Oh daisy give yourself the treat of your life and order it from amazon now. Nancy Mitford. You'll love it.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Sun 25-Aug-13 10:00:03

Another request not to post the last line from Winnie The Pooh. That's definitely one but even thinking about it has made me well up! confused

LadyVader Sun 25-Aug-13 10:00:41

Wuthering Heights

After the death of Cathy, Heathcliff says "do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you"

Yes, a violent & obsessive relationship but I think this line captures that raw, ache of losing someone you love.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Sun 25-Aug-13 10:01:05

Oh, and YY to 'Daddy my Daddy'! I start crying about 10 minutes before that part of the film because I know it's coming!

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 25-Aug-13 10:03:06

<sniffs> stop it you lot!

daisygatsby Sun 25-Aug-13 10:04:14

Thanks chub

It's a toddler book blush Wishmoley and the little piece of sky.

'Why are you sad?' Baby asked.

'Because some day you'll fly higher than high and the blue will fill your eyes, and maybe you'll forget to come down' said Wishmoley.

Baby snuggled next to him. 'I'll never forget' she said.

I cry like a baby everytime!

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 25-Aug-13 10:11:05

Where did my <sniffs> go?

LauraChant Sun 25-Aug-13 10:13:48

"And then Bella did a very kind thing". We generally have to pause a while there while mummy gets her composure back.

mayaswell Sun 25-Aug-13 10:16:03

daisy I really enjoyed The Paris Wife, but now can't read Hemingway as I feel so bloody cross with him. I tried to justify his selfishness as necessary for Art, but I just can't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now